Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Opiates: addiction to death?
    #3381935 - 11/18/04 09:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have been reading that when you die your brain lets out alot of opiates and that death feels alot like heroin.

This makes me think, do people like opiates and downers because we like the feeling of death? And if this is so, is it surprising so many people die from overdoses? Is our beer chugging, vicodin/oxycodone popping society addicted to recreational death?

Kind of reminds me of a Marylin Manson song:

"Do you die when you're high?
You never die just for me."

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Opiates: addiction to death? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3381951 - 11/18/04 09:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've also heard that your brain releases DMT in your brain when you die. The opiates to which you are referring, known as endorphins, are released regularly during many types of activity. It is our body's defense mechanism against pain. I personally experienced an endorphin high after getting my tattoo. DMT, on the other hand, is released in the brain only two times in life(except for near-death experiences): birth and death. Thus, I think there is a stronger correlation between psychedelics and death than there is with opiates.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Re: Opiates: addiction to death? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3382019 - 11/18/04 10:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I think psychedelics mimic death in regard to the change of consciousness/loss of identity, but I can imagine how the emotional physical sensations of numbness mimic the process of disapearing becoming nonexistent. hmmm.

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #3382756 - 11/19/04 02:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

who is to say opium is not a psychedelic? the government ? Oh fucking kay....:cheers:

I think any drug is a psychedelic and it offers a different perspective on the world than before.. The more perspectives the better off one is.. But when they become trapped in a routine of the same perspective, they can suffer.

I am not sure how I feel about people liking opiates because of the similarity to death.. I mean if you get shot and die from it, you would probably feel less pain than if you lived, but it will still hurt like hell for those last few minutes...

And if we have never felt the death experience, how do we relate opiate use to it? Past liferemember dying, etc...:confused:

Edited by 2Experimental (11/19/04 02:04 AM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Opiates: addiction to death? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3382830 - 11/19/04 02:34 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

can you relate to being shot? maybe it does not hurt because of various things happening in your body.

silversoul, got any more info on that? teh dmt part. wonder if thats maybe part of the whole visionary shit that people have in near death situation?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3382888 - 11/19/04 03:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

people do heroin because it makes them feel good. people get an endorphin rush when they are in serious pain or life threatening situation its better keep the body from feeling it. it doesn't make sense to me that we are "addicted to recreational death", its just a good ol' defense mechanism.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Opiates: addiction to death? [Re: TODAY]
    #3383198 - 11/19/04 07:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, it's DMT at the time of death. One should read the essay at www.heroin.org for a treatise on the brain and opiates and endorphan, and other tied in aspects of opiate addiction like the reward and joy area of the brain in the MU1 receptor cells area. Opiate addiction provides a satisfying reward to the brain for a job well done. One's mind craves the acceptance of this drug and the caress into oblivion of ones cares. Every day I see heroin users and when they're in the thick of it, there's noone on Earth who looks more completely impervious to pain, and all nestled into a cocoon of self satisfied euphoria and warmth. That is, the ones who didn't shoot too much who are now falling over constantly as they try to stand up in order to not go into cardiac arrest. Those guys are interesting to watch as they fall flat on their faces and then struggle to get up like stepped on roaches with half their guts on the pavement. And then fall again. I watched one guy bounce off parked cars and keep flying off them one night for two hours, must have been good shit. The club across the street forces some coffee down his throat. People were lookin out. The street isn't too desparate eh? Without proper brain reward functioning one becomes a heroin drop out and lives on the skids, because at the mark of the fix all the cares done goned away.

--------------------
...or something

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Opiates: addiction to death? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3384341 - 11/19/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kadakuda said:
silversoul, got any more info on that? teh dmt part. wonder if thats maybe part of the whole visionary shit that people have in near death situation?

Read "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" by Rick Strassman. I've only just cracked the book, so there's not much info I can give you.

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

#3384714 - 11/19/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

One of the things that got me thinking about this is that the Tibetan Buddhist word for orgasm translates as "little death". This isn't necessarily in reference to endorphins, but to temporary cessation of thought. Because of the similar effects of orgasm, an opiate like heroin and death I thought it was an interesting connection.

--------------------

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #3387577 - 11/20/04 02:13 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

a lot of my friends are addicted to h, and whenever i see them, even sober, they look dead. completely unaware, unexperiencing, like nothing matters. i do completely believe this is an addiction to death. it is the cessation of responsibility, of any form of stress.

they try to hide from everything that goes on by self-denial, or just refusing to confront issues (you can try talking to these people all you want, they refuse to even take a perspective on things), and that is so much easier with heroin.

of course, you can find this liberation without drugs through meditation. that way you control it, rather than it controlling you, yes. there must be a balance between relaxation and stress.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3387614 - 11/20/04 02:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
One of the things that got me thinking about this is that the Tibetan Buddhist word for orgasm translates as "little death". This isn't necessarily in reference to endorphins, but to temporary cessation of thought. Because of the similar effects of orgasm, an opiate like heroin and death I thought it was an interesting connection.

I think that might have more to do with the sense of losing yourself when you orgasm. During sex, you are putting your body together with that of another person, sharing a moment of pleasure as one entity, culminating in the orgasm. In a sense, you are losing some sense of individuality. Such is death.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder