Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Sublime, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesuave1

Popcorn too wet, again!!!!! Please help!
    #3386768 - 11/20/04 12:10 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

My friend has been lurking on this site for a while studying like crazy for his first bulk grow. Total noob at bulk, but had some success with PF Tek years ago. He can't seem to get his water content right with popcorn (today was his 4th attempt). He's spent countless hours reading tek's and posts and no dice. Every time he opens that pc, and looks in, same thing. Kernals appear to be very wet and there is always about a tea to a tablespoons worth of water collecting on the bottom. He followed this procedure this time:
soaked for 24 hrs in water.
simmered very low for 25 min.
rinsed very well with plenty of water in strainer.
strained for 1/2 hr shaking occasionally.
towel dried the hell out of it till it was dry to the touch.
loaded it into quart size jars.
applied layer of tyvek,then lid with 1/4" hole w/polyfill, then band, then double layer of tin foil squeezed tight under lip w/ rubberband.
Pc'd for 1 hour @15psi(only about 1 1/2 inches of water in pc).
removed as soon as pressure dropped (about 30 min later and shook real good while hot).
The difference in this attempt from last 2 was he adjusted the simmer time and heat(lower). At least he didn't have many burst kernals this time (gotta look on the brightside). Anyway he's been reasearch bulk for almost 2 months before attempting. Doesen't know why so wet after pc, especially since he dries them thorughly first. Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW, he thinks this site is awesome and has provided him with a lot of knowledge. Thanks!

Edited by Baby_Hitler (11/20/04 02:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Popcorn too wet, again!!!!! Please help! [Re: suave1]
    #3387013 - 11/20/04 01:37 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

wrong forum buddy

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlineazurescens
Re: Popcorn too wet, again!!!!! Please help! [Re: derx]
    #3387342 - 11/20/04 03:10 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Everything sounds good but my guess would be that water is somehow getting in during the PC'ing. If the popcorn is dry when it goes in and there is water when it comes out then it goes to say that the water is getting in their during that time. Also, you dont need to have tyvek and polyfill. Try doing the same technique without the tyvek. I doubt that this is the problem but you have to start using the process of elimination.

Invisiblesuave1

Re: Popcorn too wet, again!!!!! Please help! [Re: azurescens]
    #3387558 - 11/20/04 04:09 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Thanks for the quick response. The water being added during the pc'ing had crossed my friends mind. If this is the case how could he get around this? Quart jars are rather tall (far enough he thought from the 1-1/2" of water on the bottom) and he covered real well. He really didn't want to add vermiculite to the popcorn but is getting desperate. Even if he did, wouldn't it cause excess condensation during incubation?
BTW last set of jars he used just had tyvek with 2 holes. This time around he used one hole w/polyfill to avoid using band aid after innoc. Just experimenting to see which he likes best.
He knew it wasn't gonna be easy, but never thought he'd be hung up this long at "this" stage in the process. Thanks again azurescens for the reply. Anyone have anything to add?????

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
    #3387562 - 11/20/04 04:11 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

adding a layer verm to bottom of the jars works well i hear.

i should also note to cover the lids with some aluminum foil.. it doesn't mention if he does or not, but it might be a good idea.

Edited by lesstutrey (11/20/04 04:13 AM)

Invisiblesuave1

Re: Popcorn too wet, again!!!!! Please help! [Re: lesstutrey]
    #3388596 - 11/20/04 12:18 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

He was trying to avoid that route if possible (answered in reply to post). Worried about excess condensation being released during incubation. Does anyone know if this would be an issue? And he uses double layer of tin foil w/rubberband during pc'ing (answered in original post). Concerrned that extra moisture will become a problem, wants to get it right before moving on.

Offlinesublimesubmind
enthusiast
    #3388840 - 11/20/04 01:26 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

dont soak. Throw the fresh kernals in the pressure cooker and fill with water so they will boil, bring it up to pressure and let it stay there for only 5 minutes max. By the time the pressure comes up and down again it will be like a half hour at least.

Strain for a good half hour after a thourogh rinse. load into jars, and let the jars sit a day to hatch endospores. Pressure cook the jars for an hour and you're golden.

Soaking popcorn and successivly simmering them puts too much water in them., although if both are done, adding a bit of vermiculite is supposed to help, just mix it right in, not clumed on the bottom.

Edited by sublimesubmind (11/20/04 01:27 PM)

Invisiblesuave1

Re: Popcorn too wet, again!!!!! Please help! [Re: sublimesubmind]
    #3392251 - 11/21/04 06:38 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Sounds interesting. He has a couple of empty jars left. I'll get him to try this technique. Thanks for the info (much appreciated)! Anyone else have any tips?

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3392299 - 11/21/04 07:41 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

I, a Noob with a big N, go along with sublime.
I have a 1 pint jar with popcorn here which is colonizing ok, I used 1cc sporeliquid.

I did as follows:
- PC-ing popcorn 60 minutes
- take it out, let it drip out, shaking a bit so the water can drip out better.
- no drying with towels etc.
- after about 20 minutes  (depends on amount of popcorn IMHO) put it in the pint jar (filling 75%)
- Made a 1/4 inch hoel in the lid which i stuffed with polyfill
- Put a "hat" of alufoil on it
- In the PC it goes for about another hour.
- Cool down 8-12 hours
- TAke hat of and inocluta through polyfill in the corn.
- Hat back, in the incubator!

There is some condensation in it, but the colonisation started before my cakes.

I like the part that Sublime has in his process, the part of letting the popcornjar stand about 24 hours to have more time for other spores germinating.
But so far my pint is looking good! :thumbup:

EDIT*

Something pops up in my mind:
Someoen said that the potency of a cubensis mushroom is amongst others depending an availability of  B vitamins in the substrate. He says that popcorn hasnt much of that so that would mean cubensis from popcorn being less potent then shrooms grown on other substrates as BRF.

Anyone has any comments on this?

--------------------

Edited by MushroomFriend (11/21/04 11:30 AM)

Offlinesublimesubmind
enthusiast
Re: Popcorn too wet, again!!!!! Please help! [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3392739 - 11/21/04 12:52 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

letting the jars sitting overnight is not generally needed, but doesnt hurt

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Sublime, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation