Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedefsound
Stranger
Indoor bulk q: wheat seeds sprouting during colonization
    #3381158 - 11/18/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hello, I have a question that I would like to post to the experts (Roadkill?)

AFOAF's desire is to grow indoors, as it not a good outdoor environment for shroomies in this area. So after looking at a site called I Grow Mushrooms AFOAF decided that to spawn in mostly straw, with some poo, packed really tightly into large food buckets. The buckets are closed, but have drilled 1/8" hole every square inch or so. The buckets are in a cupboard, within which a humidifier is running constantly.

It has been a couple of months since spawn was first added to the bulk substrate. Moisture content seems ok, humidity, temperature, air exchange, etc. Fruits are not forming.

The straw had lots of kernels, which all sprouted. This made the bucket pack look very cool (like Mo said it would in the outdoor tek) with grass growing roots and shoots within the bucket. Could the wheat grass growth be interfering with mushroom fruiting?

Does anyone know any other reasons as to why the fruits are not growing?

Pulling the 1' x 1' x 2' innards from the bucket show that the mushrooms have colonized all the straw, but not the new growth wheat grass (and there is a lot of it). So success has come all the way to the point of fruiting, where it then eludes AFOAF.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshobimono
Why?
Re: Indoor bulk q: wheat seeds sprouting during colonization [Re: defsound]
    #3382440 - 11/19/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Has the temperature been lowered? Has light been introduced? Has air circulation been increased?
These are the triggers needed for fruiting. Just because it has been growing for months doesn't mean it will start fruiting without temp drop/light introduction/lower co2 levels.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Indoor bulk q: wheat seeds sprouting during colonization [Re: shobimono]
    #3382951 - 11/19/04 04:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

First off what were your pasteurization processes, and did you induce fruiting conditions. Usually one is not advised to go directly to straw. What did you use to spawn the poo/straw mix? What were the ratios? It seems to me like you may have some more reading up to do than what you have on this site your talking about. If you had pasteurized your straw and poo properly you wouldn't have anything sprouting.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Indoor bulk q: wheat seeds sprouting during colonization [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3382953 - 11/19/04 04:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Furthermore i cant find this site your talking about.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Indoor bulk q: wheat seeds sprouting during colonization [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3383010 - 11/19/04 05:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, your friend pretty much messed up this grow from the start. Although it is encouraged to try all methods of growing...bulk and spawning included, he/she should have begun with a more simplistic process. I dont beleive wheat (If thats what it actually is) should be growing in the buckets. It also doesnt seem like any of the fruiting triggers were properly initiated. IE: Temperature, Lighting, even humidity, since I dont beleive having a humidifier in a cabinet exposed to a bucket with a 1/8 hole is sufficient.

Good luck in any case, but tell him/her to do a little more reading next time around.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: Indoor bulk q: wheat seeds sprouting during colonization [Re: defsound]
    #3383169 - 11/19/04 07:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't read the replys so if someone already said this I'll just nail it home :laugh:...if you pasteurize at teh proper temps you will kill the seeds...also you can take the seeds out...I usually do this anyways

Offlinedefsound
Stranger
Re: Indoor bulk q: wheat seeds sprouting during colonization [Re: Iamthewalrus]
    #3444233 - 12/03/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

> These are the triggers needed for fruiting
Well it is now fruiting inside the bucket but not out of the holes. So the next challenge will be to get mushies to grow from the holes. Perhaps my friend will try to place the monster mycelium brick in a rubbermaid.

My friend has a 2' x 1' x 1' food bucket filled with mycelium that has colonized the not pasteurized straw/poo (just soaked not pasteurized). Picture a 20 lb bucket of mycelium, with holes all over the outside.

I will post pics, as I don't think these responses indicate that I explained the situation well. AFOAF has many litres of colonized WBS. That spawn is used in a ratio of about 1/2 litre spawn to 6" x 1' x 1' of mostly straw/some poo. The straw has thousands of seeds, I do not think anyone would pick them all out.

Does anyone know if co-temporally growing plants (wheatgrass) inhibits mycelial growth?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale