Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Loc: Texas
Marijuana Bill Hits the Senate!
    #3381987 - 11/19/04 12:00 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

The Marijuana Policy Project helped make history this week when, for the first time ever, a bill designed to protect medical marijuana patients and providers was introduced in the U.S. Senate. MPP worked closely with the office of the bill's lead sponsor, U.S. Sen. Richard Durbin (D-IL), to help craft the bill and lobbied hard to ensure its introduction. We hope that you will now contact your two U.S. senators and urge them to support this legislation.

Please visit http://www.mpp.org/trials to e-mail your senators a pre- written message explaining why it's necessary to provide federal protections to patients and caregivers who use and provide medical marijuana in compliance with state laws. With the U.S. Supreme Court less than two weeks away from hearing a landmark medical marijuana case -- Ashcroft v. Raich -- this is a perfect time to make your feelings on this subject known. The whole process will take less than two minutes.

Like the House version of the bill, the Senate "Truth in Trials Act" (S. 2989) -- introduced on November 17 -- would end the federal government's gag on medical marijuana defendants in court. By providing an affirmative defense to federal marijuana charges, this bill would not only ensure that defendants could introduce evidence about the medical aspects of their marijuana-related activities, but it would also keep such defendants from being sent to federal prison if it is determined that they were acting in compliance with state medical marijuana laws.

Both U.S. senators from Vermont -- Sen. Patrick Leahy (D) and Sen. Jim Jeffords (I) -- joined Sen. Durbin in introducing the bill.

We can stop the federal war on doctors, patients, and caregivers. But in order to do so, we must turn the 80% public support for medical marijuana into a political force. This transformation has already started, with more and more national organizations making formal declarations of their support for safe, legal access to medical marijuana. For example, in June 2003, the American Nurses Association, representing 2.6 million registered nurses, passed a resolution in support of "legislation to remove criminal penalties ... for bona fide patients and prescribers of therapeutic marijuana."

Please do your part to show your U.S. senators that support for medical marijuana is widespread. Visit http://www.mpp.org/trials and send an e-mail today.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Marijuana Bill Hits the Senate! [Re: Lothar121]
    #3383504 - 11/19/04 11:40 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I like Dick Durbin

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: Marijuana Bill Hits the Senate! [Re: afoaf]
    #3386035 - 11/19/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Just make sure you spread the word and send the email/fax/letter!

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
    #3396850 - 11/23/04 04:11 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Support needs to build further for this. I have come back to tell you all that without your support now, this bill will NEVER see the light of day.

Will anyone pledge right here in this thread that they just sent the email/fax/letter off? It is important that we get as many people as possible to send their support out to get this passed! :thumbup:

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #3397201 - 11/23/04 08:18 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Sent.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3397710 - 11/23/04 12:04 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

just sent mine. Although i feel wierd posting my address and stuff on a marijuana bill. I would like mr. Johnny law to end up knocking on my door hehe.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #3399090 - 11/23/04 05:08 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

THIS ISNT GOING TO PASS

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: Marijuana Bill Hits the Senate! [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3402001 - 11/24/04 05:21 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

just sent mine. Although i feel wierd posting my address and stuff on a marijuana bill. I would like mr. Johnny law to end up knocking on my door hehe

No one will come knocking at your door. I have sent emails/faxes/letters about medical marijuana for 4 years without being touched. There is no law against telling your senators how you feel about the subject, in fact they encourage it.

This just shows what a problem we have in our nation when people are to the point where they are afraid to speak out. Supression of the truth indirectly, but supression nonetheless.

Speak out, put your address down. They will not share the information with anyone but your senator. They will not target you when thousands of others are speaking out. Just make your voice heard!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3402010 - 11/24/04 05:23 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Do they actually read letters from civilians?

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: Marijuana Bill Hits the Senate! [Re: 1stimer]
    #3402011 - 11/24/04 05:23 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

THIS ISNT GOING TO PASS

Well gee, with that attitude it surely won't. But if you would do your research, you would see that over 140 U.S. Representatives voted to end the war on medical marijuana patients through a backdoor route.

Many Republicans expressed support for the bill privately, but were directed to vote against it by Republican leadership.

To have 2 bills, one in the house and now one in the senate is a huge achievement. Many people thought medical marijuana would never be legalized in California, but it was.

To say this will never pass and not send the letter is ridiculous. Send the letter, then we can talk about it not passing.

I appreciate everyone that read this thread and did their part to build support and momentum for this bill. I hope that we can continue making progress together!

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: Marijuana Bill Hits the Senate! [Re: MOTH]
    #3402024 - 11/24/04 05:27 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Do they actually read letters from civilians?

Some letters yes, but obviously not all of them. But each congress member has a staff that has to file and make a report about every letter that comes in. Every single letter that is sent makes a small difference, and through word of mouth we can encourage more and more to send their support for such a bill. This works like that with all your state and local officials.

Who cares if they read it or not anyway? At least you know your voice is being heard somehow. It can't hurt anything, and it is insanely ridiculous to think that your house will be raided for sending this letter. It won't be.

Not yet at least...

Edited by Lothar121 (11/24/04 05:29 AM)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3402038 - 11/24/04 05:32 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Okay, I just wasn't sure of the process that goes on when letters like this are recieved. I guess the cynical part of me thought that they would just be disgarded unread.

I'll send a letter. Maybe over time we can grind away at the WOD.

Edited by EllemyshShade (11/24/04 05:34 AM)

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Re: Marijuana Bill Hits the Senate! [Re: MOTH]
    #3403971 - 11/24/04 03:42 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

I'll send a letter. Maybe over time we can grind away at the WOD.

Glad to hear it. Remember this isn't something that will happen over night. You are right that we have to grind and chip away at the law. The fight begins today, everyone needs to participate. There is a rally going on through the internet, and it is growing. I'm not the only one spreading the word. Thousands are right as this moment.

Help out. The word is getting around. Whatever you do on the internet, it is usually a chance to discuss marijuana prohibition. Get people aware of the organizations that are changing the law. Make sure you are writing letters on a consistent monthly basis.

Become an activist. Believe it or not, it isn't hard, and you will be doing your part to push this law out the door.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion