Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Hericium LOL crazy
    #3381323 - 11/18/04 09:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So... a couple weeks ago I went mushroom hunting in the forest, and brought back some Shaggy Mane and Lion's Mane for growing. 

The shaggy mane was old and smashed, I've only gotten a couple pieces to grow, starting lots of pieces on peroxidated cardboard.  The lion's mane pieces aren't faring so well either, some contaminated, some died, and some are just sitting there with only a little bit of fuzz.

As I was cleaning up the lion's mane to eat (Yum! :smile:), I laid aside a few cleaned pieces to dry off and get spores.  Then I forgot about them.  Since I have a little time to do inoculations tonight, I remebered to look... those pieces, stuck in a paper bag inside a plastic bag, left on top of the refrigerator and forgotten... have a look for yourself:

I will try to avoid learning any lessons from this.  After many years away from any kind of mycoculture, suddenly my accidents are far more successful than my intentions :/

Off to get peroxide and blender in hopes of a strong new spawn... This new growth should work way better than the old fruitbody.

I thought it strange too that the new growth is almost all from the tips of the tentacles, instead of from further inside the fruit where we traditionally get cloning material.  Something to think about next time I'm cloning these (on purpose)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Hericium LOL crazy [Re: Gyromitra]
    #3381607 - 11/18/04 10:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That's cool!
It looks like they were getting leggy trying to grow out of the bag like enokie under bark.
My blue Oyster in cool storage crawled out of it's dish and tried to take over a nearby lion's mane once.
You tuck them in, sing them to sleep but they keep getting up and wandering around.
I also have an Enokie that insists on fruiting in it's petri dish!
Cheeky little things these Fungi.

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Edited by Peterthinks (11/18/04 10:38 PM)

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Hericium LOL crazy [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3381985 - 11/19/04 12:00 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't think about trying to get out of the bag- they were growing on the ends of the long tentacles I put in there, which was also the side toward the opening of the bag. The bag was folded under but I bet there was still more air exchange on that side. The light would have been mostly blocked because they were completely covered by the brown paper, and any light getting in would come from both sides equally.

I did the blender spawning, some on rye and some on coffee-soaked birdseed. When I picked up the rest to compost, I found some mold in there. Not unexpected, but I'm hoping early stages weren't already growing on the parts I blenderized. A few mold spores shouldn't kill the whole project 'cause the Hericium was soaked in 3% peroxide with a drop of soap first, then blended in 0.3%. We'll see what happens.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3382600 - 11/19/04 03:14 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Really cool. I wonder where they get the nutes from that supports that growth ?

> hericium was soaked in 3% peroxide with a drop of soap first
What is the soap good for ?

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northern Europe
Re: Hericium LOL crazy [Re: ragadinks]
    #3383052 - 11/19/04 08:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I do this too, the idea is to lower the surface tension of the liquid so that the wetting (liquid-solid interaction) gets better. At least in theory it should be better, but I don't know if there is a real difference...

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Hericium LOL crazy [Re: Pinback]
    #3383479 - 11/19/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ah, ok - I did not know this trick ...

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Hericium LOL crazy [Re: ragadinks]
    #3383570 - 11/19/04 12:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

>> At least in theory it should be better, but I don't know if there is a real difference...

I don't either, really. But I expect there is since soap not only allows the water/peroxide where it wasn't before, but soap itself is also antibacterial to a small extent. The water wasn't getting into the small parts of these at all before adding the soap. I use soap all the time when trying to kill off little pests on plants or plant parts, so it's just a habit. Some people use dishwashing detergent.

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

#3420509 - 11/28/04 09:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Update. All the jars molded badly- same mold that I found too late on the paper. Even after the peroxide soak and blend, so there must have been mold mycelium already growing on them.

I found that some of the original chunks on peroxidated cardboard were still clean, even though they were getting brownish with age and only had a very tiny amount of fuzzy myc. growth on their surfaces. I blended those in 1:200 6% bleach:water and inoculated a few rye jars with that today, in a last ditch effort. Holding thumbs.

I said in another thread that all my purchased cultures were growing well, but had forgotten that the Hericium isn't doing much; just tring to be patient with it. And lion's mane was said to be an easy one? It's giving me fits LOL. If I didn't love to eat them so much I wouldn't bother- but this is the first time I've found one in over 20 years, so can't plan on collecting any to eat in the wild any time soon.

I'll definitely be visiting this bigleaf maple tree again though!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms