Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
anybody know anything about battarea phalloides?
    #3380897 - 11/18/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I know it's not active :-) I've heard it called the "desert stalked puffball" tho it's not a true puffball, i don't think. I found a few a coupla days ago. Had never seen them before, and looking around on the internet i've found a lot of references to it in studies from other countries, calling it rare, endangered, extinct, etc. As far as I can tell, it may be rare, but i hear it grows along the west coast, and i've heard of other sightings around here (SW new mexico). anybody else seen this mushroom or know much about its range, how common it is, etc?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: anybody know anything about battarea phalloides? [Re: TomJoad]
    #3381014 - 11/18/04 06:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

All I could find was one image- apparently is edible, from the bits of crap I weeded thorugh. Also connected with the word endangered more than once so I could see that holding water. Weren't listed in my three reference guides anywhere. Maybe someone with a book on mushrooms specific to that area will hit you with something, but I sure couldn't find anything on it. Couple of foreign language websites.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Re: anybody know anything about battarea phalloides? [Re: superblingtheory]
    #3382082 - 11/18/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've got it in the audubon society field guide to north american mushrooms, but it doesn't say much about it, or even anything about its edibility. From what i've read it's not reported as edible or poisonous, but is so woody and tough that you couldn't eat it if you tried... i tried to break the stalk (which was about 8" long) but it was so tought and woody i couldn't break it. I did accidentally inhale a lungful of spores, eww. Any west coast folks seen this one?

OfflineKevin
IES
 User Gallery
Re: anybody know anything about battarea phalloides? [Re: TomJoad]
    #3382138 - 11/18/04 10:34 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ive only seen 2 of em. and they were brought in to class.

the guy found them under a douglas fir tree.

they produce their spores on the cap.
their stem looks like a stick from a douglas fir tree.

they usually have an egg like thing in the soil they come out of.

--------------------
"Is it a mile walking, or a mile driving?" - dobie

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures