Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFarmerD
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: US OF A BABY!!!!!!
PREPARING JARS EARLY
    #3380338 - 11/18/04 06:03 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

SO I HAVE A QUESTION FOR THE EXPERIENCED GROWERS...WOULD IT BE OKAY TO START PREPARING JARS ABOUT 4-5 DAYS BEFORE THE ARRIVAL OF THE SPORES? WILL THERE BE ANY EFFECT ON THE GROWTH AND HEALTH OF MYCELIUM? AND WILL THERE BE A HIGHER CHANCE OF CONTAMINATION BY LETTING THEM SET FOR A FEW DAYS BEFORE?

ALSO I WAS WONDERING IF IT WOULD BE OKAY TO STERILIZE JARS MORE THAN ONCE...WILL THAT EVAPORATE SOME OF THE WATER IN THE JARS?
BUT MAINLY I WANT TO KNOW IS IT OKAY TO PREPARE THEM EARLY...AS LONG AS THERE STERILE THEY WILL BE OKAY RIGHT?

PLEASE RESPOND AS I AM TRYING TO DO JUST THIS NOW.

--------------------
None of these statements are to be taken seriously. FarmerD is a fictional character, and so are the things he posts.

"He who reaches for the stars often stumble on a simple straw."
Blue Fairy Supplies for all your shrooming needs!
Special thanks to MushroomMadness for great deals!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedmc_
 Arcade Champion: Madness

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: PREPARING JARS EARLY [Re: FarmerD]
    #3380349 - 11/18/04 06:05 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

turn off the caps, hurts my eyes too much to read.

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: PREPARING JARS EARLY [Re: dmc_]
    #3380371 - 11/18/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Caps = BAD... anyways, its ok, once the shit is pressure cooked, it should be sterile... its just good to get it done that way the myc can start colonizing before anything bad might have a chance to get in ther... good luck dude.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: PREPARING JARS EARLY [Re: haz]
    #3380389 - 11/18/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Ok to answer your questions, lets explain it in realistic terms. Standard pf tek jars (whether your doing pf, or grain jars) sometimes are incubated for 30+ days at the extreme. Whether the spores are there or not is pretty irrelevant. Get your jars ready and keep them somewhere sterile and dark. Best to keep temps low, even though there should be no contaminants no sense in giving a suitible enviornment for them to get hold while waiting. So, its ok to get your jars done early.

To answer your second question, it depends on which tek you are using to sterilize your jars. If you are applying tyvek over the lids (like you should) you can sterilize them all day without worrying about moisture loss.

I would advise you to sterilize correctly one time then to do unecessary re-sterilization. As long as you are using a PC with 15 psi capacity, an hour of cooking should do the trick.

Good luck with your grow, keep us informed.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineFarmerD
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: US OF A BABY!!!!!!
Re: PREPARING JARS EARLY [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3380400 - 11/18/04 06:20 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Has anyone actually done it though? and why would I sterilize and then put them in warm dark place...wouldnt that encourage growth?

--------------------
None of these statements are to be taken seriously. FarmerD is a fictional character, and so are the things he posts.

"He who reaches for the stars often stumble on a simple straw."
Blue Fairy Supplies for all your shrooming needs!
Special thanks to MushroomMadness for great deals!

OfflineFerment
Stranger
Loc: NE USA
Re: PREPARING JARS EARLY [Re: FarmerD]
    #3381051 - 11/18/04 08:40 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

I was trying to find where it's written, couldn't, but I'll put it out here anyway. It's been written that sterilizing and then waiting a few days before innoculating will let you know if you sterilized properly. If nothing grows in this test period, then you know you have sterilized properly. If it gets contaminated, then your sterilization didn't go properly and you would have likely lost your cakes to contams had you inoculated. This certainly won't prevent contams from entering at a later date, like when you inoculate, etc., but it's a good way of checking that your sterilization went well. As for keeping the uninnoculated jars in a warm place, this would encourage any contams not killed by sterilization (i.e., if you did not sterilize properly) to grow, letting you know that you botched sterilization. As for trying this myself, no, I haven't - I'm too damn impatient.

Offlinefloydguitar
smooth guitarist

Re: PREPARING JARS EARLY [Re: Ferment]
    #3381113 - 11/18/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

would not encourage growth if it was sterilized correctly. there would be nothing in the jars to grow. if the lid is on tight and it is in a clean place you should be fine. i have had sterilized jars sit around for a couple of weeks before and they worked fine.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation