Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...?
    #3379969 - 11/18/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I started my psychedelic career two years ago. Had been smoking the herb for some years and gotten into meditation. My meditation practice was regular and focused back then. I lived and breathed for self-exploration and the path. The first four-five trips I went on was intense and at times great and mindbending.

But after those first five (culminating in a trip I have been convinced resulted in ego-loss, but now I fear I have deluded myself. The memory and certainty have faded with time), my journey stagnated. I have steadily become more delusional and unfocused. It feels like when the chaos of the trip emerges, I can't let go of the rational mind, I cling to it. The Giant Leap into a higher order does not appear.

One of my trip brothers have told me he can see the age of a mans soul while high on mushies. And without it ever been directly mentioned I feel he is saying I have got low energy and must be a young soul. I fear this means I am not ready for the path and the psychedelic experience. Is this a possiblity or will a bad trip automatically close the energic gates and thus result in low body of energy because of the current fear present?

My relationship with this friend has become extremly tense after our many trips together. I always start seeing him as a threat to my self-confidence when dosing, then my head starts spinning in those same ugly, self-critical thoughtloops. All love and all beauty vanishes. The only feelings left are depression, unbelievable sorrow, fear and a feeling of being trapped in hell (which my rational mind doesn't even believe in). Self-hatred during trips hurts. All my earlier neurosises have returned lately.

Is there a way to turn on this or does it mean that I am not meant to be tripping? All my motivation is set at the path, and I can't seem to gather any interest for other topics. I have tried to cut back on esoteric reading and so on, but everything else seem dull to me.
Two weeks ago I fell into temporary psychosis. This happened two days after I stopped smoking hash (been smoking every night since '99). All conversations suddenly had multiple hidden meanings, even the reporters I heard on the radio had messages directly for me. Hehe. Those were fucked up days. My doctor put me on Fluoxetin.

Is there any way to fix this or am I doomed to surf the boring materalistic wavelenghts?

(sorry for nihilistic rambling, just had to put this somewhere)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? [Re: dorkus]
    #3380107 - 11/18/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I am glad you mentioned wavelengths because that fits in with what I am going to say. Those waves have crests and troughs. Sounds like you are in a trough right now. Tripping now will tend to amplify those lows. So it wouldn't hurt to stay away from that- there will be ample time for that later.

Don't overly concern yourself about where you are on the Path right now. Because the Path has hills and valleys. When you are on the hill you are high enough to see your guiding star and everything seems to flow. You can also see the path behind you and why and where you had trouble- as well as glimpses of the road ahead. Just remember progress is a slow process and there are times when things really suck. Progress isn't a constant upwards climb, there are times of retrenchment where you pause before making another upward push. This is a time to do real self work and less study, more service to others.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? [Re: Jellric]
    #3380199 - 11/18/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

don't know if one could relate to this, but one possibility could be you have gotten to close to the images to see the pictures..?

:confused: :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (11/18/04 05:52 PM)

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? [Re: Gomp]
    #3380238 - 11/18/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

How to pull back?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3380354 - 11/18/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

don't even know if i don't know, what i see..(?)
but i could type this, to close to the images is a mental picture of something not real or present. as if one makes a personal image, replacing the pictures, becoming real or present.
the picture is a vivid mental image.
the image is a vivid description or representation.

vivid description or representation is to close to the images and/or to far away, to see the pictures.

vivid mental image is what one is left whit, but.. hum..
maybe I got to insane her :P

:heart: :confused: :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3380434 - 11/18/04 06:33 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

"A philosopher: a weight willing to weigh itself."
-Verhoeven

"A psychiatrist: someone who doesn't have to worry as long as other people do."
-van Broeckhoven

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (11/18/04 06:35 PM)

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? [Re: Jellric]
    #3416581 - 11/27/04 06:31 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

re Jellric

Thank you so much for the support. Highly appreciated  :sun: :thumbup:

re Gomp

Hey man. I know you have something on your mind here, and I guess it makes sense. But I'm afraid I don't follow.

Hadde blitt takknemlig hvis du hadde orket ? skrive noen gloser p? norsk i denne tr?den en gang du har litt tid til overs...? Postene dine gir meg mye! Fred.

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#3418481 - 11/28/04 05:33 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

At times I feel old, I feel so god-damn old. The problem is, I don't feel old and wise, I just feel old. The feeling is a little similar to being worn out, but it has nothing to do with low energy. It can't come from the experiences I have made either. Granted, I had my share of suffering, but I remember the same undefined type of feeling when I was a small child. It is also especially strong during a trip. It is like when you stand up each day at 6.00 o'clock, and every day is groundhog day. Seen the movie? It might be a GREAT day, und you might jump out of bed, full of plans for this particular day, full of energy; yet, lurking within you, gnawing at your soul, is the hidden knowledge that, for the billionth time, IT IS GROUNDHOG DAY.

I think we can safely assume that, we all being humans, we are all on the same level, spiritually speaking. Someone who is an old soul shouldn't be around here in the first place. If I had not encountered the mushroom, I would have absolutely zero interest in spirituality. I would be an atheist and a materialist, laughing at the possibility of anything surviving death. Most likely, I would be dead by now, too, headed for suicide.

The point being, why do you assume that being a young soul is a disadvantage? You might have done a kickstart and be headed for a great destiny. Your burden of karma might be less than that of other people. Your mind could be like an empty vessel, waiting to be filled with the spirit.

Offlinekrin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? [Re: Nomad]
    #3418588 - 11/28/04 06:58 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

yah the "groundhog day" effect is shit
i feel it during my trips too,as if every thought or idea,even ones immense and profound,still dont feel new,as if everything is and always will be trapped in the same strange unimportant little gray box that is my life.
its not a depressed feeling but just...urghh,brown-ness,for some reason that best describes it to me.
when u have a very active and lush imagination,over a long period of time,almost nothing gives you that mental rush,the exhileration of something creative and fresh and new,because youve imagined everything that exists in your own tiny skull and tiny world to death.

the best way id feel to escape it would be to temporarily ignore the part of you self that labels the world and thoughts and feelings,that categorizes everything into your tiny restricted limitations,and just look at something for what it really is: completely alien, totally seperated from identification.
we always reflect our own selves onto realty,it limits our thoughts and ideas,for brief moments we look past our reflections and thats where true creative power and beauty come from
gotta step out of the box

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? [Re: krin]
    #3418776 - 11/28/04 09:39 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

""Hadde blitt takknemlig hvis du hadde orket ? skrive noen gloser p? norsk i denne tr?den en gang du har litt tid til overs...? Postene dine gir meg mye! Fred.""

Jeg gir nok ikke mer mening p? norsk, og er nok for n?rme eller for langt unna 'forestillingen' selv, men takk for at jeg kan hjelpe, og beklager at jeg ikke kan :P

and to evryone who could not read this, Sorry about typing in Norwegian, but ignore it if it don't give you? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (11/28/04 09:40 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3418841 - 11/28/04 10:38 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

am I the words that echo im my head?
am I everything that I am? - including the echoes in my head?

one meditation teacher in 1973 criticized me with tremendous compassion (the only useful way to criticize) for trying to meditate with such fervor that I would take off "did I want to get to the moon???" - Well - I think I did want results so badly that his comment was apt. - and that is what I was at the time. - that is where I was at. (it was hard to accept it, yet excellent, and I am very glad that I was that way! - well just a bit of excess suffering - but hey, a little existential angst never hurt anybody!)

So, going from uncertain and confused to relaxed in the face of relentless change is a personality shift that I think is especially valuable.

struggling with paranormal concepts such as "age of soul", "ego death" and so on, on the other hand, are distractions (layered concepts) that can certainly engage the mind, but they are not of much use if they are not making you more relaxed in the face of ongoing-creation.

In this direction, observing phenomena in normal states of mind and with entheogen is great, no need to discount any of it or to apply any extra layer of interpretations.

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3418979 - 11/28/04 12:12 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

one meditation teacher in 1973 criticized me with tremendous compassion (the only useful way to criticize) for trying to meditate with such fervor that I would take off "did I want to get to the moon???"

You mean you actually levitated?? If not, I've always had a hard time with metaphors.  :wink:

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? *DELETED* [Re: dorkus]
    #3419176 - 11/28/04 02:13 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: Energy, psychedelics and the age of the soul...? [Re: poke smot!]
    #3419297 - 11/28/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

poke smot! said:
I think everyone is different in their stage of spiritual progression.

Sure, you could feel old physically. I feel young physically. And you could feel old intellectually. I sometimes have felt this but in reality I'm not that "wise", it is just a perception of my thinking. And I know that emotionally, I'm young.

But getting on to my viewpoint of your situation: Sure, you could just be in a "trough" of your life or wavelength or whatever you prefer to call it. Maybe this causes, or is caused by, the state of your emotional/spiritual health.

Perhaps you are not where you would like to be, or you have things to work on and change. For me, getting that change to go forward was to stop taking shit like shrooms and stop smoking pot, until my mind cleared up enough to notice things and change my lifestyle to reflect my current situation.

Now that this is underway, I'm sure that I could have a great high-dose trip, but that doesn't mean I am going to. I just feel that by stopping trying so hard to change the way I am with drugs (which may have been me avoiding who I really am with drugs), I just stopped using to clear up the mental confusion, amotivation, and mental goo that drugs have added, for me. Whether you are at that point, I could not know. But I know that for many others, the same thing had to happen for them to move forward with spiritual growth.

For a while I used shrooms trying to achieve what I tend to seek the most, selflessness. Perhaps this is a compensation for selfish things I have done in the past, that weigh in on my conscience. Sure, I have come pretty close to full ego loss before, but that is simply a temporary feeling that I can anchor some mental point to, in order to navigate there in the future without the drug, and try to understand how I existed at that point as my true self.

The challenge remains, though. I choose not to use mind-bending drugs to get to that point, so I have to find my way to selflessness, mental sanity and serenity, and knowing who I am. Because for me, many drugs were a way of me forgetting who I am, trying to escape that. And it isn't easy, because not too long ago I barely knew who I was. Yet, I've made great progress which tells me that enlightenment is possible without the temporaryness of a psychedelic drug.

It's like, once the door is open you know what's there and what you need to work towards. It isn't necessary to keep re-opening that door.

Great post man, I know exactly how you feel.  The last trip I had I tripped alone for the first time and got (of course) really introspective.  After that trip, I just didn't want to trip anymore.  I knew I had learned what I needed to for now.  I'm sure I'll do them in the future, but as it stands, as you said, the door can remain closed.

And I think this is the whole point to the existance of these drugs on Earth.  If you want to expose yourself to more Light, do so, but be responsible about it (this goes for any drug at all).  If you take the Light and Information you've been given and use it to better yourself and help spread the same values you learn, then what's the harm?

But if you must rely on them to bring you that Light, otherwise you'll fall into Darkness, then they are not helping your spiritual progress.  Life is about balance, just find the balance.  :stoned:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology