Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Cakes = BR, Quinoa & Flax seed. Should I grind it all up?
    #3378506 - 11/18/04 10:53 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I havn't started my cakes yet, I want to get everything ready and in perfect order etc., im a perfectionist  :crazy:

Annyyway,
I was thinking I'd do my first cakes with BRF, just to get the hang of it, and then move on to Grain, shit+straw, and cases.
I read on some tek that Quinoa can boost ur shrooms' psilocybin by 10-15% or so.  I also read somewhere that omega-3 is good for 'em, so I thought i'd throw in some flax seed.  Then grind the mix up in a coffee grinder. 

However, the question I have is:
Should the quinoa and flax seed be ground up with the brown rice, or should I leave it whole in my cakes?

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Edited by MycoJunkie (11/18/04 10:54 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cakes = BR, Quinoa & Flax seed. Should I grind it all up? [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3378547 - 11/18/04 11:00 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I read on some tek that Quinoa can boost ur shrooms' psilocybin by 10-15% or so.

Theres a very scientific name for what we call this in the world of mycology. Its called, Bullshit. Additives to substrates are all experimental and none of what you mentioned has had any proof behind the claims to fame. By all means try it if you want and want to invest the time but if your looking for a quick way to increase potency there isnt one. You can try different bulk substrates and species but take any claims of raising psilocybin content a specific amount as complete bullshit because thats what they are. Mushrooms vary way to much..there could be a mushrooms right next to another mushroom on the same casing that 10-20% more active then the one next to it..its the nature of the beast.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: Cakes = BR, Quinoa & Flax seed. Should I grind it all up? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3378610 - 11/18/04 11:15 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:Theres a very scientific name for what we call this in the world of mycology. Its called, Bullshit.

LOL :thumbup:

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

#3378621 - 11/18/04 11:17 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
I read on some tek that Quinoa can boost ur shrooms' psilocybin by 10-15% or so.

Theres a very scientific name for what we call this in the world of mycology. Its called, Bullshit. Additives to substrates are all experimental and none of what you mentioned has had any proof behind the claims to fame. By all means try it if you want and want to invest the time but if your looking for a quick way to increase potency there isnt one. You can try different bulk substrates and species but take any claims of raising psilocybin content a specific amount as complete bullshit because thats what they are. Mushrooms vary way to much..there could be a mushrooms right next to another mushroom on the same casing that 10-20% more active then the one next to it..its the nature of the beast.

The quinoa tek thingy comes from
http://www.shroomery.org/index/the/default/par/7922
Alien Substrate tek

I'm not contridicting what you are saying, as you are obviously much more proficient in the world of shrooms growing and experimenting than I am, and obviously know a lot about your craft.

Here is a quote from a post-comment on the bottom of the tek:

"Posted by: BigShooter
2004-02-04 23:24:03
I have recently started using quinoa in all of my substrate recipes and I agree that it maximizes mushroom potency. I use a little bit more than you, about 1/3 of my total substrate is quinoa, which I buy in bulk at $1.31 per pound at the hippy co-op. Tryptophan is changed to psilocybin by the fungus, and quinoa has the highest concentration of tryptophan of any grain in the world. I'm planning also to use teff next time, the smallest grain in the world, which has the highest bran to total mass ratio of any grain in the world. This may provide a substitute for the grinding that you are doing, but the texture of the resulting mixture would be different."

I dunno man, it sounds very plausible to me.  But thats just me, a person who has never grown shrooms before.  However, I ask you this: Have you ever tried quinoa? Therein rests my case.

One man's bullshit is another mans bulls eye.

A N Y W A Y
This is diverting the threads subject from the question I have asked.  To be honest, that fact kind of pisses me off, and as a matter of fact, its against the rules of this forum  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

QUESTION:
Should I grind up the quinoa and flax seed, or leave them whole?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by MycoJunkie (11/18/04 11:23 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3378731 - 11/18/04 11:44 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I'm sorry I meant to not draw from your question..I just forgot to answer..why would you not prepare them the way the tek calls for? I know of the tek..it was done very recently. It IS possible that it increases potency...however claims that it is 10-15% more potent are bullshit..there is no way around that. I know for a fact that there were no actual tests of actives done on the results and someone just ate them and said "these are 10-15% stronger". A persons state of mind can eaisly add that amount of percieved potency when taking mushrooms. If you think theyll be more potent because of something your mind can make you think they are. My post didnt say that additives like tryptophan cant increase potency just that the claims havnt been proven and are therefore experimental and I felt that was something you should know..perhaps next time I'll just go on letting people mix up complicated recipes without trying a regular simple one thinking their growing more potent mushrooms just because someone said they would instead of mentioning that they should really just try the regular PF Tek or start with grains (its not so hard and can easily be used as a beginner substrate just as much as the PF Tek). Hell grains would be a hell of a lot easier then the Alien mix. But its your thing and you can do what you want.

A.N.Y.W.A.Y.
It states twice on the tek that the Quiona and Rice must be whole and not grounded:

" Do not substitute for anything in this recipe. The 2 grains (Quinoa and Brown Rice) must be whole and not ground or powdered."
"Cook the quinoa and rice (use the whole grains, not ground) "

And twice that the finch and flax seed should be grounded:

"1/4 cup finch seed (measured before grinding)
1/8 cup flax seed (measured before grinding) "
"While this is cooking, measure out your finch and flax seed, then grind them up in a coffee grinder or similar.
Mix the ground seeds with the vermiculite"

To be honest, that fact kind of pisses me off and should be against the rules of the forum. And this should be posted under advanced where they have all the talk about additives to substrate and theres rules against picking the correct forum to post in before posting. But hey were not being anal assholes here right?

If you want to follow that tek then follow it, if you want to use BRF then do what you want, as I've mentioned multiple times this is experimental. If you want to know which will work with BRF you need to try it since the people who use that tek use whole rice. If you want to experiment, experiment, that involves actually trying them, not asking other people to guess what would happen if you use ground rice and quiona like the tek tells you not to.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

#3378861 - 11/18/04 12:10 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
I'm sorry I meant to not draw from your question..I just forgot to answer..why would you not prepare them the way the tek calls for? I know of the tek..it was done very recently. It IS possible that it increases potency...however claims that it is 10-15% more potent are bullshit..there is no way around that. I know for a fact that there were no actual tests of actives done on the results and someone just ate them and said "these are 10-15% stronger". A persons state of mind can eaisly add that amount of percieved potency when taking mushrooms. If you think theyll be more potent because of something your mind can make you think they are. My post didnt say that additives like tryptophan cant increase potency just that the claims havnt been proven and are therefore experimental and I felt that was something you should know..perhaps next time I'll just go on letting people mix up complicated recipes without trying a regular simple one thinking their growing more potent mushrooms just because someone said they would instead of mentioning that they should really just try the regular PF Tek or start with grains (its not so hard and can easily be used as a beginner substrate just as much as the PF Tek). Hell grains would be a hell of a lot easier then the Alien mix. But its your thing and you can do what you want.

A.N.Y.W.A.Y.
It states twice on the tek that the Quiona and Rice must be whole and not grounded:

" Do not substitute for anything in this recipe. The 2 grains (Quinoa and Brown Rice) must be whole and not ground or powdered."
"Cook the quinoa and rice (use the whole grains, not ground) "

And twice that the finch and flax seed should be grounded:

"1/4 cup finch seed (measured before grinding)
1/8 cup flax seed (measured before grinding) "
"While this is cooking, measure out your finch and flax seed, then grind them up in a coffee grinder or similar.
Mix the ground seeds with the vermiculite"

To be honest, that fact kind of pisses me off and should be against the rules of the forum. And this should be posted under advanced where they have all the talk about additives to substrate and theres rules against picking the correct forum to post in before posting. But hey were not being anal assholes here right?

If you want to follow that tek then follow it, if you want to use BRF then do what you want, as I've mentioned multiple times this is experimental. If you want to know which will work with BRF you need to try it since the people who use that tek use whole rice. If you want to experiment, experiment, that involves actually trying them, not asking other people to guess what would happen if you use ground rice and quiona like the tek tells you not to.

Lol, alright man, thx for the help. Sorry for being a bit of a dick, and a dumbass for not realizing what it says in that tek.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3378879 - 11/18/04 12:16 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

No problem, I can certainly be a bit of a dick myself...the thread with people misinforming people that bulk will contam if spawned in tubs pissed me off almost as soon as I got on here today :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation