Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecrazychild5
Stranger
off white flakes?
    #3377734 - 11/18/04 06:43 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, i birthed a couple of jars two days ago and still have a few incubating. one of the birthed jars had a few flakes of off white with a bit of yellow in them, on it. the flakes kind of peal of if i get underneath it, and underneath is definite 100% healthy white mycellium. I since chucked this jar following the "when in doubt throw it out" rule, but on closer inspection of my incubating jars, i can see that some of these have the little off white yellowy kind of stuff as well.

it kind of looks like its dead mycellium flakes when i pull it off. or is it conjealed myc piss?

obviously i dont want to chuck everything, so can anybody tell me if this is a contam without a pic?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescientifique
I am ascientist!
Loc: KY, USA
Re: off white flakes? [Re: crazychild5]
    #3379271 - 11/18/04 01:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

crazychild5 said:
one of the birthed jars had a few flakes of off white with a bit of yellow in them, on it.

Without a pic, I can't really tell you anything, but I have some experience with PF jars so here's my 2 cents:

Sometimes the BRF will stick to the sides of the jars and mic will colonize it, then the cake will pull away from the jar and lose a little of it's size as it becomes more colonized, and the bit thats stuck to the jar comes out with the cake looking like a weird skin flap. This has happened to me a couple of times. Its probably nothing. As far as the discoloration, check contam photos for comparison. I would seperate those cakes from the rest until I knew more, but my guess is that its just mic flakes left over from incubation.

--------------------
~D

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose, but their chains. Workers of the world unite!" ~Karl Marx

http://www.cpusa.org/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum