Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedjred

karo light..dark karo ..
    #3376736 - 11/17/04 09:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

well i chose the light it was my only option for clear Karo no off brands,well it has natural vanilla added i don't think its going to be a problem.the only diff between the dark and light was 10 ml of sodium. any thoughts cause i see alot of info about Karo, but nothing about having vanilla added. :crazy: it was the only  kind shop n save had..also picked up 5 lbs of wbs,was going for cracked corn but wbs just seemed like a fav for most of you shroomers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: karo light..dark karo .. [Re: djred]
    #3376738 - 11/17/04 09:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Light corn syrup is preferred because it is clear, you'd be better off with some honey, which I'm sure that you could find there.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: karo light..dark karo .. [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3376752 - 11/17/04 09:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The added vanilla and sodium concerned me too, but I figured it must be normal since all "light corn syrups" had the exact same ingredients, even the generic brands.

You can use just about any sugar syrup, really.. molasses, dark corn syrup, honey, etc... the advantage to using light corn syrup is that the water is perfectly clear. It is very easy to differentiate between contams and the mycelium.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3376755 - 11/17/04 09:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Light is what you want.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinedjred

Re: karo light..dark karo .. [Re: discman1]
    #3376758 - 11/17/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

exactly thats why i didn't notice any real dif between the 2 i even looked at the karo pancake syrup

Offlinedjred

#3376765 - 11/17/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

all ready have honey in the cab..its good organic kind ..

Offlinedjred

#3376769 - 11/17/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

seen an idea to soak karo water in with your jars during soaking process...then after the drain fill jars and add dilluted h202 to the jars he said he added 12 cc to a qaurt jar.

Offlinedjred

#3376774 - 11/17/04 09:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

don't recall who it was but i found it i think in the grow logs. i usually doa search in the advance for new ideas see what the big boys do..

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
    #3376793 - 11/17/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I've actually got some pure table sugar solution in the incubator right now  :tongue:

Edited by spliffmasta (11/17/04 09:50 PM)

Offlinedjred

#3376809 - 11/17/04 09:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

spliff im taking a drive with my first flush to come hang out with ya bro...lol i don't mind..maybe we should hit up some kool places..

ya know just talking shit..but good times..well im a fe steps closer just waiting on my spores..ordered tuesday they went out at 3pm to tlg in va..it should be there say by tommorow? maybe then shipped back priority mail so maybe saturday or monday have my babies

Edited by djred (11/17/04 09:55 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3378302 - 11/18/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You should never add nutrients like karo to a dunk. Once you introduce that karo water to open air some mold spores land on it and will start growing. Many people have had this idea and posted on it..that doesnt mean its a good idea.

Light karo syrup is best so you can see it. Mine has vanilia added too..works fine. I prefer it to honey since its clear..easier to spot nasties.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: karo light..dark karo .. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3378705 - 11/18/04 09:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yeah, mine also has vanilla, standard karo.

And apparently honey contains wax and proteins, which aren't ideal.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: karo light..dark karo .. [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3378754 - 11/18/04 09:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Some people have this silly idea that because honey has been found to have trace amounts of hydrogen peroxide in it that it will fight off contams better. They don't relize that it will break down when being sterilized making it no more contam resistant then anything else..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinedjred

#3378828 - 11/18/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah i agree they did post in advance that karo water would only invite contams to the idea of adding to your jars,now adding h202 to your jars after you pc is what i recall reading for wbs. i read that in the myco file bulk report.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3378871 - 11/18/04 10:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Adding H202 to WBS won't do you any good. Perhaps you read about adding h202 after you PC talking about either agar or liquid cultures as it can be done in both cases (only if using mycelium to start though and not spores..otherwise h202 must be added after spores germinate or the h202 will kill them). If someone suggested adding h202 to grains though you should disregaurd the advice. And karo water inviting contams isnt what were talking about. That is in reference to dunking or spraying using karo water..this person I believe is using it for liquid cultures which it can be used for. You can add karo to substrate but it must remain sterile at all times..but say you made it up with karo to begin with and then sterilized it it would work without contaming most likly. I don't think it would do much and it would be a sticky mess but..

--------------------

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
    #3378922 - 11/18/04 10:27 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I read that H2O2 is fine for myc, but kills spores, is this true? Cause I added about 2cc of H2O2 to about a 400 mL honey liquid culture solution before I noc'd it up with a spore syringe.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3379051 - 11/18/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yes it is true..sounds like you killed the liquid culture. What you should do is make the culture, sterilize it, shoot spores into it, wait 3-7 days until you see myc, shoot some h202 into it. The h202 isnt really even needed and would break down quickly anyway so adding it wont do so much unless you add it everytime you take some out..that could work to kill any spores that may be introduced injecting new fresh (and sterile) honey water and removing the liquid culture your going to use.

Perhaps being diluted so much you didn't kill all the spores but I'm fairly sure if you did it right before knocking it up with spores you wont get any germination..if you let it sit after putting in the h202 but before putting in the spores its possible the h202 naturally broke down (does it slowly from heat and light) but again highly unlikly. Sorry.

--------------------

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
    #3379082 - 11/18/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I added a half cap of H2O2 in there right after it came off the sterilization, then let it cool, then put the spores in.

It looks like there might be some myc growin in there. Little stringy bits of white, but very small, and its only been 3 days, so maybe it's just polyfill or something that fell down there.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3379124 - 11/18/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

lol, how hot was it when you put the H2O2 in? If it was still like 160?F, most of it probably dissipated...

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: karo light..dark karo .. [Re: discman1]
    #3379135 - 11/18/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I let it cool before I took the pot lid off. Either way, I have other jars without H2O2, we'll see. There was no H2O2 in the table sugar solution, so I'm kinda excited to see how that one turns out.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder