Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinescientifique
I am ascientist!
Loc: KY, USA
Advice / input on method
    #3376688 - 11/17/04 11:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

YAAY, it's my first post! :tongue2:

Someone fingerpainted "wash me" and the following on my dirty car:

I could use some ideas, criticism, advice or general input on the method I've listed below.

I've used the PF method several times in the past with a couple of complete successes, a few partial successes, and one complete failure. I'm ready to try something new, perhaps more productive. Although I like growing, I also like to keep a large supply of dried cubes so I can go a long time between growing (too damn busy to grow all of the time) and keep all my friends entertained. From what I gathered lurking the forums and site for a week or so I've peiced this together from a few different teks:

Substrate: Rye grain - Soak for 24 hours, drain & rinse. Simmer for 45 min, drain for 30 min & rinse again. Put into jars (3/4 full) and PC for 70 min. Cool to room temp and inoculate.

Jars: 1 pint mason jars with tyvek in ring in place of metal peice. Jars are filled and PC'd with 2 layers of tinfoil over top. When cooled, inoculated through tyvek with syrenge and hole immediately covered by small sterile bandaid.

Incubation: Innoc'd jars placed in TIT incubator (submersible heater set to 84 deg. in water filled tub with another tub resting in it) and lid put on. Jars are shaken a couple of times over incubation period to spread growth and TIT is opened 2x a day for gas exchange. Incubation is complete when grain is fully colonized.

Birth: Casing mixture is placed 1/2in. deep in square pyrex baking dish, colonized rye is placed on top in 2in layer and topped with 1/2in. casing mixture. Dish is covered with plastic wrap w/ small holes. Dishes placed back in incubator for about 4 days. When ready, casing is patched lightly and placed into grow chamber.

Casing mix: 2 parts coco coir / 1 part vermiculite. Moistened but not soggy. Placed into jars and PC'd before use.

Grow Chamber: PMP style (large opaque tub, 2 inches of perlite in bottom, 1 inch of water with some hydrogen peroxide in it. small air pump connected to airstone under water level. clear or plexiglass windowed top for light.) Grow chamber exposed to 6-8 hours of weak light per day. top of casing lightly misted with water periodically
when needed.

One thing I'm worried about is over hydration and overlay with the PMP and casing, not sure if thats going to be a problem or not.

Is there anything I left out? Anything you would add or change? I'm trying to get a solid method in mind so I know exactly what I need and what I'm doing. I've buried too many cakes in the past, my heart is heavy with sadness when I think of their passing. I want to make sure that this time... No one has to die... :sad:

Thanks!  :wink:

--------------------
~D

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose, but their chains. Workers of the world unite!" ~Karl Marx

http://www.cpusa.org/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Re: Advice / input on method [Re: scientifique]
    #3376732 - 11/17/04 11:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Very nice. A properly constructed PMP is completely self sustaining.

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Advice / input on method [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3377003 - 11/18/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

actualy you'll want a pretty big airpump. according to the tek one capable of exchanging the air 2-3 times an hour. here is a chart to help pick your pump

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3377027 - 11/18/04 12:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

>>> Is there anything I left out?

Sounds good, but... don't forget to wash the car!  :cool:

Offlinescientifique
I am ascientist!
Re: Advice / input on method [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3377582 - 11/18/04 04:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

spliffmasta said:
A properly constructed PMP is completely self sustaining.

Would I still need to spray the casing, or would that over-hydrate in conjunction with the PMP tek?

--------------------
~D

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose, but their chains. Workers of the world unite!" ~Karl Marx

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3378210 - 11/18/04 09:38 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hey welcome to the shroomery, its always nice to see a new KY resident in the forum. also the tek sounds great, i have not tried this tek out yet but from what Ive read you hit the nail on the head about everything. but the part about air exchanges for the incubator, that's not needed they have plenty or air in the jar with em just give a good shaking after inoc and again through out the colonization. i haven't worked with rye but if i can help in anyway let me know and good luck with it.

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3378233 - 11/18/04 09:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

good good, but did anyone else think 'holy cow' after reading all that? heh

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinescientifique
I am ascientist!
Re: Advice / input on method [Re: dobinky]
    #3379239 - 11/18/04 01:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry if I seem anal, I just want to make sure I get it right the first time around :smile:

Thx for the welcome KyKid, nice to see other kentuckians doing their part to expand the collective mind!

--------------------
~D

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation