Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence
    #3373688 - 11/17/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.thetowntalk.com/html/499F32E2-51FD-4A8E-8D9B-6A669307AA5A.shtml

Louisiana teens getting driver's license also register for selective service

Town Talk | Nov 16 2004

There may be no "plans" for a national military draft, but that hasn't kept Louisiana from registering teenagers too young to serve in case conditions change.

During the recently concluded presidential campaigns, the major candidates repeatedly said they had no plans to resume compulsory military service.

Their promises were not reassuring, however, to Larry Chevalier of Glenmora who was alarmed when his 16-year-old son Nathan had to register with the Selective Service System in order to get a driver's license.

Selective Service is the agency charged with collecting names and information about all 18-year-old American and immigrant men for possible conscription.

"I just can't believe it. That amazes me," Chevalier said.

What "amazed" Chevalier was that his son would not be eligible to serve in the military for another two years.

And neither he nor his son knew before going to the Office of Motor Vehicles that Natan would be required to pre-register for the draft in order to get his first driver's license, he said.

After questioning the early registration, Chevalier researched the issue and learned the Legislature passed Act 373 in the 2003 session dictating that all males aged 15 up to 18 seeking a first-time driver's license or an OMV identification card must register with Selective Service.

Chevalier's concerns were not wholly shared by young men attending a YMCA-sponsored driver's education course.

After being informed of the new condition for getting a first-time license, some of the teenagers only shrugged.

"I don't care," Mark Fontenot, a 16-year-old student at Apostolic Christian Academy, said.

Pineville High School student Josh Stokes, 15, said, "I think it's good.'

But neither student would elaborate on his view.

Stephen White, 16 and a student at Alexandria Senior High School, may have summed up the feelings of others when he said, "I think it's all right. I can't do anything about it anyway."

Chevalier suggested there should be something youngsters can "do about it."

"I don't know what rights as far as civil liberties that minors have, but I think their rights are being violated," he said.

Rudy Sanchez, general counsel for the federal Selective Service System, said, "I don't know the rationale for that. Louisiana shouldn't be registering 15-year-olds. We don't even register 16-year-olds."

Sanchez pointed out federal law only provides for "early submission" of information by a young man who is at least 17 years and three months old.

That information is held until the person becomes 18 when it is forwarded to the proper database, he said.

Otherwise, young men are required by law to register as early as 30 days prior to reaching age 18 and no later than 30 days after their birthday.

Other states have passed laws requiring young men to register with Selective Service when they get a driver's license, he said.

But he said no other state requires males as young as 15 to register.

And the information is not supposed to be forwarded to the federal agency until the young men reach 18 years old.

He said there is no mechanism for collecting data on males younger than 17 years and three months.

That claim was disputed by Everett Bonner, state director of Selective Service.

"They do accept it. I can promise you. They do not process it until the young man turns 18," Bonner said, adding information collected by OMV is forwarded to a federal data management center in Chicago.

He said registering young men when they get their drivers' licenses is a convenience for the registrant and a way to help them later in life.

Many young men do not know they are required to register with SSS, particularly in the inner cities, he said.

Anyone failing to register is "considered a felon without conviction," he said, adding it can lead to future loss of opportunities and benefits.

Someone who does not register for the draft cannot get a federal government job, he said.

Chevalier questioned how the state can force a minor child to "sign on the dotted line" without his parents' consent.

"As far as a minor child, the parents are responsible for that minor child," he said.

Bonner said, however, the parents have to sign for a minor to get a driver's license and that should suffice for the draft registration as well.

"What I don't like is somebody having all this information about kids and somebody sitting up there in some private meeting discussing how many young people they have available for the draft in two years," Chevalier said.

While the U.S. may be involved in military actions in Afghanistan and Iraq now, "we have Syria, Iran and North Korea sitting out there," he said.

Bonner said, "I would venture to say the federal government has all sorts of information about us through various sources. If someone thinks it's 'Big Brother,' he'll have to deal with that."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3373727 - 11/17/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

they do it at 18 anywho...and even then some people don't sign up.

if they want a license, they should go into the system with the
rest of us.

it's not like they're drafting 16 year olds, they're just making sure
the information gets into the system.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: afoaf]
    #3373783 - 11/17/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"they should go into the system with the
rest of us.

it's not like they're drafting 16 year olds, they're just making sure
the information gets into the system."

That is very comforting, the idea that we should all be in the system. I think we should get the youngins acclimated to an omniscient government a little earlier than 16, don't you? Shouldn't they be given subdermal implants for identification and tracking to make it easier, maybe with their first vaccinations required for enrollment in school?

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: Autonomous]
    #3375542 - 11/17/04 05:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

take a couple deep breaths...

by system, I mean the selective service system.

everyone has to enlist, you are forced to when you
register to vote, this is an equally as effective means
of getting everyone into the selective services database.

if I have to be on the list, so do you, otherwise you don't
vote, and now, you don't drive.

if you want to take up the constitutionality of the selective
service system, I believe that warrants it's own thread.

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: afoaf]
    #3375638 - 11/17/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I don't have to enlist, no one does, people of a certain age must register by law, I am too old. It is a horrible law which lays the groundwork for carting people off to die for the government's military cause du jour, it should be abolished. No man can intelligently point to the draft (or registering for it) in his country and claim that he is a free man. You seem to think it's a grand idea because others should be forced into the same things you are (this is my interpretation, please correct me if I'm wrong), I do not think that way. I do not promote infringements upon my freedom to be placed on others just out of a misguided urge for fairness.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3375668 - 11/17/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Goes to show teenagers in Louisiana are fucking morons.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: Autonomous]
    #3375747 - 11/17/04 06:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I see your point.

when was the last time the selective service system
carted off registrants to die for the military cause du jour?

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3375963 - 11/17/04 06:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zahudulallah said:
Quote:

Goes to show teenagers in Louisiana are fucking morons.

Because not one teenager in Massachusetts would say the same thing?

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3375973 - 11/17/04 06:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

They're even more stupid in Massachusettes.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3375985 - 11/17/04 06:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think states separate stupidity, it's a nationwide American thing, this acceptance of government control and apathy towards civil liberties being taken away

It's not just the teens either

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: Ravus]
    #3376010 - 11/17/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I stand corrected. Even American liberals are stupid compared to the more enlightened European liberals.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3376022 - 11/17/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

able to destroy entire world > intelligent :lol:

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: d33p]
    #3376028 - 11/17/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

:crazy2:

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3376618 - 11/17/04 09:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Everybody who reaches the age of 18 has to sign up for selective service or they will not recieve government aid or financial support or not qualify for a government job.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3378515 - 11/18/04 08:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

this is not a new development... selective service registration has always been a condition of getting any government service... unemployment insurance requires it too, so does the student loan program...

if you're really afraid of going to war and want to aviod the draft, your best bet is to enlist now and then immediately declare yourself a conscientious objector... they'll discharge you right away, and when draft time comes, your name is at the bottom of the list.

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3378526 - 11/18/04 08:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

or declare yourself a fag, then they have to discharge you... but i bet when draft time comes, all the homosexuals who got discharged will be drafted and put into a special fag brigade, and sent somewhere where death was certain

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3379567 - 11/18/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

but i bet when draft time comes, all the homosexuals who got
discharged will be drafted and put into a special fag brigade

The Rainbow Lightning Brigade

"Home of the Limp-wristed warriors"

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3388028 - 11/20/04 05:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"or declare yourself a fag, then they have to discharge you... but i bet when draft time comes, all the homosexuals who got discharged will be drafted and put into a special fag brigade, and sent somewhere where death was certain "

Yeah I thought about it, but homosexuality does not disqualify you from the draft. The only thing that will is being mentally or physically unfit for service (or the whole objector thing).

Oh, or being a woman.

Yeah this isn't new. If you're a male over 18 and have not registered for the draft, you're breaking the law.. it's there as an emergency "OH SHIT TIMMY", and I really do not think we're going to have a draft any time in the near future or next decade or anything like that.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #3389577 - 11/20/04 02:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

well if your gov keeps pissing the world off there may be a NEED for draft sooner than one may think.

Quote:

able to destroy entire world > intelligent :lol:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinelaidback4sho
legend of a mind
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE Louisiana
Re: Teens in Louisiana must register for draft to get drivers licence [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #11457523 - 11/15/09 12:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

if they let women in the military, shouldn't they also make them sign up for the draft? why only the men? i understand years ago when there were only men in the military, only men got drafted. but now, anyone can be in the military...shouldn't the selective service be extended to everyone who turns 18?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order