Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetlearyfan
Stranger
Legal Issues
    #3375913 - 11/17/04 08:34 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and hopefully someone has brought this up before...
Contrary to what the disclaimer on this site says, there is no Internet Privacy Act.  Such a law does not, and likely will never exist.  That would be an amazing boon to aspiring criminal defense counsel such as myself, but it is a pipedream.
On top of that, the 4th amendment will shield pretty much nothing on this site, including IP addresses, etc.  The 4th amendment only protects against unreasonable searches and seizures in places where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy.  Courts have held that your private info and ip addresses, after being submitted to sites such as these, are not something in which one has a reasonable expectation of privacy.  So, if law enforcement can find out your ip address from any means available to them, almost certainly, they can get it without a warrant.
I'm not sure, but I would guess that they then could use any users postings on this site as probable cause to obtain a warrant to search one's home.  :sad:
Now I don't think law enforcement really has the resources to pursue such means to search all the users' homes, but I thought it should be said...and think an edit of the disclaimer might be in order.  The more you know...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Legal Issues [Re: tlearyfan]
    #3375998 - 11/17/04 08:54 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

all the more reason to not incriminate yourself in your posts I guess

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3376001 - 11/17/04 08:55 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

or take some security mesures

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Border, USA Flag
    #3376046 - 11/17/04 09:08 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Hey - you're absolutely right about the Internet Privacy Act nonsense. I have no idea how it got to be so widespread but I cringe every time I see a website repeating it without bothering to verify its accuracy first. I can't believe it's in our disclaimer, I'm really embarrassed, we'll have revise it right away.

Our users should know that tlearyfan's information is correct, and our disclaimer is not. At the same time, even if we never logged a single IP, our access provider could easily produce such a list and of course they would if they were subpoenaed. You should never assume that you're anonymous online and you should always take appropriate precautions. As far as we know there's never been a bust or investigation resulting from anything posted on this site, but we want to keep it that way!

The good news is, with tools like Firefox and the SwitchProxy extension, it's never been easier to protect your identity online. In order for these to work though, people have to take the time to educate themselves about electronic privacy. Thanks for your post correcting our mistake and bringing up these important issues.

-Y

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: Legal Issues [Re: Ythan]
    #3376132 - 11/17/04 09:32 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Crap...with my posts, I'd be looking at 5 to 10 :sad:

I really should be more careful online, does anyone have any good articles on electronic privacy so I can educate myself on the subject?

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinethenewuser
LSA Guy :-)

Re: Legal Issues [Re: theocean06]
    #3376140 - 11/17/04 09:34 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Good thing I always post w/ an anon proxy, and use an anon host for my pics. :smile:

--------------------
Please read my DXM & LSA Guides, here.

If your like MMORPG's, then click here and here!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Legal Issues [Re: thenewuser]
    #3383461 - 11/19/04 11:30 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

> I really should be more careful online

The more you do to protect yourself, the better. At the same time, it is extremely difficult to prove that an online persona has any bearing what so ever on a real-life-person. I am not a lawyer, cop, or judge, but I would doubt that the content of a post on our forum would be enough to issue a search warrant. However, the content of a post along with other weak evidence may be enough all together to get a warrant. Regardless, the safer you make yourself up front, the better off you are.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinetlearyfan
Stranger
Re: Legal Issues [Re: Seuss]
    #3479159 - 12/11/04 12:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

When it comes down to it, it's not too terribly hard to track someone down from their online activity. And getting a warrant is not much of a problem...really...
The question is: are the cops going to spend all those resources to track down someone who grows at home? Probably not. But it doesn't hurt to be aware though. And with the way the "war on drugs" is being waged, who knows...they just want something that looks good on the evening news..."ooh look at all that marijuana they seized! I sure feel safer now that that's off the street..."
As they say, knowing is half the battle...who'da thunk GI Joe would be quoted at a site dedicated shrooms...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback