Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebcustom
three short ofone-hundred

Loc: Grrreat Pac NW
Psilocybe ID?
    #3372439 - 11/17/04 12:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Today I went picking in a spot that I have never gone picking before. I was looking for Cyans and came across this interesting discovery.
It's interesting because i saw a ton of these mushrooms that looked identical to cyans, all with umbos, except i did not notice any immediate bluing, and the stems seemed far too brownish... However, when I saw these cyan-looking guys, i noticed these two mushrooms that were BRIGHT blue on the caps, with splotches of yellowish-tannish flesh. I thought I had for sure found a cyan (keep in mind i have never found a cyan), however, the stem felt a completely different texture then the psilocybe's i have experience with (stuntzii, baeocystis). It felt smoother and more delicate. The stem was hollow with heavy sea-greenish/blue bruising. I would say the texture of the stem felt similar to that of an inky-cap's stem. Oddly, these BRIGHT BRIGHT blue mushrooms I had picked were incredibly slimy and sticky.. And I mean VERY slimy and sticky.
They were growing out of grass with a wood substrate amongst some ivy on the outskirts of blackberry bushes... I know these pictures suck, but the coloring is pretty accurate, it is just that this cap has been out dropping it spores for more then 24hrs now and it is extremely dry and a little smaller...

That is a stuntzii cap to the right of the unknown.

--------------------
Don't you look at me in that tone of voice!

Edited by bcustom (11/17/04 12:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe ID? [Re: bcustom]
    #3372946 - 11/17/04 06:17 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

According to Your description (habitat, colour, texture) and the colour of the spore deposit in the photo I am thinking to myself that those could possibly be some older/dryer specimens of Psilocybe caerulea (Stropharia caerulea) or Psilocybe aeruginosa (Stropharia aeruginosa).

Did they look anything like this when fresh?

--------------------

Offlinebcustom
three short ofone-hundred

Loc: Grrreat Pac NW
Re: Psilocybe ID? [Re: ivi]
    #3373747 - 11/17/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

In a lot of ways, yeah, they definately looked a lot like that... Thanks a ton, i'm thinking you are right...  I will go take some more pictures of them today...  hopefully I can find a digi-cam and stop using my phone!

Thanks again for the suggestion, that's as close to a possitive ID as I have come :smile:!  Peace out and happy hunting!

--------------------
Don't you look at me in that tone of voice!

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3373792 - 11/17/04 11:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If they have a really thick pelicle, I have found some of those, too. But if what you found was the same as what I found, then I don't think they are psilocybian. And from your description, the stipe was already a sea green/blue. They actually didn't BRUISE blue. And when you pull away the 1/8 inch pelicle, they have a dry, whitish and yellow/tan cap. I found two of those one day, in Arlington, and I didn't take a spore print, because I found a cyan patch that same day, and just threw out the mysterious slimies.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3374848 - 11/17/04 03:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry this was actually directed at Ivi's image of the bluing psiilocybes.

mj

Those kinda resemble P. cyanofibrilosa. Where did you find them and save a couple for herbarium deposit. PM me and I will give you the address of a mycologist who can tell you if they are or not, or if they are a new species, but they do look like hygrophanous cyanos.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder