Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedmtrypr
psychonauticalengineer

Loc: Florida
Being "All-Together"
    #3373491 - 11/17/04 12:18 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I just got out of my Biomechanics class during which we had a PhD student lecture us on the mechanics of a baseball pitch (specifically in regard to hip rotation). I found it immensely interesting that the same qualities that make a good martial artist (at least according to the late Bruce Lee), make a good pitcher as well.

Bruce Lee said that a martial artist (in "true" form) moves "all-together". What we learned was that pitchers who use their entire body, and particularly their center (their hips) throughout the movement are generally smaller, and lighter than their counterparts who utilize more trunk rotation and muscle power to execute a pitch. The "early rotators", people who began to rotate their hips before they planted their foot, also experience lessened stress on their elbow ligaments (less force on the structure, therefore less injury).

Although accuracy was not a consideration of the particular study, I talked to the lecturer afterwards and he said that due to the more "fluid" motion, a "early rotator" would probably be able to replicate a successful pitch more often than a person who was simply powering through the movement.

Flexibility was also a factor, with "early rotators" exhibiting greater ability to reach full external rotation of the forearm in relation to the shoulder. Basically, people with less flexibility need to compensate by lurching during the movement in order to reach a similar degree of external rotation (an essential factor for successful pitching).

In summary, I think that more and more, through science, or spirituality, we are learing the importance of "getting it together". In my personal experience, being in the present is the only way to really coalesce my disparate parts and really get them to work together. I think the point is that we truly have the power to do anything, but the key is in reconciling you nature within itself. Truly becomming one with one's self is of utmost importance, whether it be in martial arts, pitching, or in life as a whole.

I think that some of us try to block out an aspect of their self that they don't like (i.e. a priest practicing celibacy), but we know that that only leads to that aspect taking on a life of its own, oftentimes with negative consequences.

I look at it as being a function of the "multiplicity of dimensions". If there are in fact multiple dimensions of space and time, there is no reason to believe that there isn't a "self" located in each one. String theory provides for up to eleven, many spiritual systems (in the vein of chakras and koshas) say there are anywhere from 7 to 11 as well. Much in the same way that light is composed of a spectrum of colors, we too are composed of a spectrum of dimensional "bodies". Perhaps tantamount to "red" light, is our physical body, which would account for qualities such as passion and anger attributed to the color red ("seeing red", red roses, etc.) Going from there we move to orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, and then to UV. Perhaps our "higher" spiritual self resides in the ultraviolet range. Our "mental" self somewhere in the middle, around "yellow". And our "psychic" self near the "indigo" frequency of vibration. It would make some sense that being "higher up" in the frequency would lead to one experiencing more synchronicities, mystical happenings, and even "miracles". Whilst residing more towars the "lower" range of vibration leads to one experiencing more the the physical aspect of reality(the part of reality that maintains the illusion of separation).

Whatever it is, these are just some of my thoughts/experiences. I see everyday how people tend to express themselves through a specific "range" of colors/vibrations (this possibly a function of "free will"). A typical "alpha" male last summer was threatened by me (I think he felt that my "vibration" was attractive to his "harem"), and tried to fight me, but I knew that as long as I didn't fear him, and affirmed that my "higher" self would make sure that no harm came to me that I would be fine. As it turned out, I had to subjugate my "ego" a bit, but the whole thing fizzled out as I refused to participate in a reciprocation of "lower" energies with this particular individual.

Maybe there is no point to this, but I really want to at least put the "idea" out there that we ALL possess the various qualities exhibited by our fellow man/woman, we are truly the "white" light that is a composition all vibrations. Knowing, and trying to live "in the light" not only showed me that I am responsible for my own life, but for the collective as well. I may not know what exactly to do with this information yet, but if my theory of "personal resonance" holds true, it may be enough to live life according to our individual "highest" standard. Maybe that's why "group-think" is so essential for the survival of out-moded thoughts and ideas. While it is enough for one to be true to their own self to make a radical difference.

--------------------
"There is no greater power in heaven and earth than the thought of the son of man. Though unseen by the eyes of the body,yet each thought has mighty strength, even such strength can shake the heavens." -Gospel of the Essenes

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Being "All-Together" [Re: dmtrypr]
    #3373532 - 11/17/04 12:29 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I'm sorry if you ended up covering this later on, I don't have time to read the whole post right now. I just wanted to throw this out:

The same can be applied to ANYTHING we do. If you do it with all of yourself, either mentally or physically or both, you will do it better.

Offlinedmtrypr
psychonauticalengineer

Loc: Florida
Re: Being "All-Together" [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3373579 - 11/17/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I agree! Its just so easy to preoccupy one's self with thoughts of the past or future that the present is missed completely. And although "putting all of yourself" into any thing that you do has been said over and over again, I don't think that it hurts to remind ourselves of it.

I tend to take a simple axiom (such as being at "one" with "oneself") and try to apply it or find evidence of it in every situation/experience I find myself in. Its easy to say something, but to truly live it, that's another matter.

--------------------
"There is no greater power in heaven and earth than the thought of the son of man. Though unseen by the eyes of the body,yet each thought has mighty strength, even such strength can shake the heavens." -Gospel of the Essenes

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Being "All-Together" [Re: dmtrypr]
    #3373605 - 11/17/04 12:48 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Indeed. "You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?" :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology