Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGabrielKnight
I can eat moreshrooms thanyou!
 User Gallery

More annoying newbie questions - yes i have read some guides & FAQ!
    #3373378 - 11/17/04 11:53 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm using a Golden Teacher kit from Magic Monkey for the 1st time I grow shrooms, with mixed results. Will try the PF Tek next if I get some success with this.

One regret is not putting foil around the outside of the plastic case and leaving it in too much light at first. The result is that I have all my mushrooms growing from the sides of the case (although Magic Monkey say this is okay)

I have a feeling that my conditions must be okay, but not ideal because after 28 days, my biggest shroom is only 2 inches tall. There are a few bits of Verticillium on the surface of the casing, and some, but not much on the top of the shrooms that have grown from the top.

I'm confused here, because the PF Tek page says that this is due to not enough humidity, which the magicmonkey info page says to reduce humidity for a little while. Which one is it?

Monkey magic also recommends 'cleaning' the Verticillium, whereas most tek pages on this site recommend not touching anything. What should I do? Should I try to clean the little bit of Vert off the heads, and how?

More of a concern is that there are a number of aborts at the bottom of the case that have started to go a dark colour. They are innaccessible without lifting the whole kit out of the plastic case. Should I be worried about them, will they infect? Should I remove the whole kit from the case, revert to a cake method, and pick off the aborts?

Many thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: More annoying newbie questions - yes i have read the guides! [Re: GabrielKnight]
    #3373394 - 11/17/04 11:56 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

im still a newb and all but im pretty sure you dont want those aborts in there. if you have to lift the cake then thats what you gotta do. peace and GL

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

Re: More annoying newbie questions - yes i have read some guides & FAQ! [Re: GabrielKnight]
    #3373405 - 11/17/04 11:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I should probably say what setup I have:

I am using a heated propagator with lid (cotton wool in vents) @ 27*C in natural light. Bottom of propogator tray is half filled with water and kit case placed on top of this. Top of kit sprayed 30 times once a week.

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

Re: More annoying newbie questions - yes i have read some guides & FAQ! [Re: GabrielKnight]
    #3373947 - 11/17/04 02:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

any ideas?

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
    #3374076 - 11/17/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yes I have some ideas.

I dont know Magic Monkey's site...and to be honest, after reading the info you got from there, I dont want to see it.

Dont reduce your humidity. Although Casings such as yours require less humidity then a cake alone, between 85-95% is ideal. Mushrooms need alot of water.

Secondly your growing chamber is not sufficient. You cant fill it with water and float the case in there. Thats not enough humidity, and assuming you didnt put h202 in it, it isnt very sterile.

Air exchange...are you offering it? Your casing should be exposed to an air exchange every 3-4 hours at best, and at least twice per day unless you have a set up like this: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25056

Do not clean vermiculite.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

Re: More annoying newbie questions - yes i have read some guides & FAQ! [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3374293 - 11/17/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi again kido! Are you stalking me?!

Many thanks for the suggestions. Will act on them

Like your new avatar btw. How can I add one to my msgs. Is there a way to upload to this site or do you have to point to the URL somewhere else??

Finally, biggest concern is still those blackening aborts at the bottom. Still not sure whether to take the kit out of case and remove them before they go bad?

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3374580 - 11/17/04 04:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I would try and get them out of there if they're blackening. Rotting aborts can lead to contam issues.

OfflineBrilliantWhite
Educated WhiteMan
Male

Loc: A little to the left
Re: More annoying newbie questions - yes i have read some guides & FAQ! [Re: atomic1]
    #3374686 - 11/17/04 04:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

To answer your avatar question even though its not even remotely related to cultivation: :mad2:

Upload a picture of your choosing to My Pics, under your name.
Then click the avatar button under the picture.

--------------------
Who built the la-la-love?

listen to Portugal. The man

www.myspace.com/portugaltheman

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: More annoying newbie questions - yes i have read some guides & FAQ! [Re: BrilliantWhite]
    #3374762 - 11/17/04 05:04 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

What the hell is verticillium? lol

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

Re: More annoying newbie questions - yes i have read some guides & FAQ! [Re: discman1]
    #3375105 - 11/17/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

again, as a newbie, just going off info posted on net - this time MagicMonkey.info;

Common pest and diseases

Verticillium - "Dry bubble or brown spot"

The most common fungal disease. Causes problems for growers large and small. Normally infects the casing layer and is spread by flies and growers through sticky spores. It's growth is promoted by conditions of high humidity and lack of air circulation.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation