Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGandhi
Stranger

Blue Lotus Absolute Oil
    #3317268 - 11/03/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I ordered some blue lotus absolute oil from iamshaman.com and i'm wondering how this stuff should be used to get the most out of it. I've read that it can be either smoked or eaten, with varying degrees of success. There's very little information about blue lotus and to what degree it's habit forming. I'm paranoid about getting addicted and so i'm worried about even using this stuff. Any input would be appreciated.

oh yea here's the link to it for more info: http://www.iamshaman.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductUID=1001&ProductCode=BLA-1G

--------------------
Be the change that you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineflyabusa
Stranger
Re: Blue Lotus Absolute Oil [Re: Gandhi]
    #3371720 - 11/16/04 10:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ghandi,
I think you have little to worry about in terms of physical addition to lotus, I doubt you'd get any type of withdrawl other than "gee that lotus was fun, alas I'm out now, must buy more when i get paid again".

Now the subject of lotus and blue lotus has me a bit intrigued, especially in regards to the absolute oil.

First of lotuses and blue lotus. From the information I've been able to gather we're dealing with two separate plants here. There's no such thing as a "blue Lotus" the blue lotus is technically a waterlily.

From what I have gathered, we're looking at two distinct plant species, the first of which is "sacred lotus" (Nelumbo Nucifera). From what I've found on the net Sacred lotus comes in pink and white, hand is the "blue Lilly of the Nile" but not blue (see http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/sacred.htm_)

Nymphaea Caerulea on the other hand is what I believe your absolute oil is made of. It's referred to as "blue lotus" but technically not a lotus. The psychoactive alkaloids in this plant appear to be both water as well as alcohol soluble (reports date back to ancient Egypt of people soaking these leaves in water or wine to produce inebriating effects)

which brings us around to what you've got absolute oil. I'd never heard of this term before I went to iamshaman myself, so i decided to do some research on what exactly an absolute oil is.

http://www.erzulies.com/about_essential_oils.php

that site gave me a pretty good idea of what it is and I'll sum it up for you as best i can and relate it to how to take the absolute oil.

using a volatile solvent a waxy substance is extracted from the plant material. think of this as a resin or a tar, very concentrated, but in need of purification as solvents can be toxic. this waxy substance is alcohol soluble basically the waxy stuff gets washed with alcohol repeatedly and the evaporating fumes are collected to produce the absolute oil

this absolute oil is not water soluble, but is alcohol soluble. I'd try mixing some of the oil with some strong alcohol (100 proof vodka is my alcohol solvent of choice, everclear works better but isn't;t available in my state). down your mixed drink and see what happens.

I'll be interested in hearing what your experience with the absolute oil is as I'm a bit hesitant to order it myself not knowing what solvents they used for extraction (polar vs. non-polar). But hey if you have a good experience with it I'll be more apt to order. I'm thinking of ordering the blue lily flowers and the blue "lotus" petals and giving them a go with smoking them and soaking them in alcohol and seeing what happens.

let me how your lotus experience goes

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Blue Lotus Absolute Oil [Re: flyabusa]
    #3372525 - 11/17/04 01:13 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

flyabusa said:
Ghandi,
I think you have little to worry about in terms of physical addition to lotus, I doubt you'd get any type of withdrawl other than "gee that lotus was fun, alas I'm out now, must buy more when i get paid again".

Now the subject of lotus and blue lotus has me a bit intrigued, especially in regards to the absolute oil.

First of lotuses and blue lotus. From the information I've been able to gather we're dealing with two separate plants here. There's no such thing as a "blue Lotus" the blue lotus is technically a waterlily.

From what I have gathered, we're looking at two distinct plant species, the first of which is "sacred lotus" (Nelumbo Nucifera). From what I've found on the net Sacred lotus comes in pink and white, hand is the "blue Lilly of the Nile" but not blue (see http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/sacred.htm_)

Nymphaea Caerulea on the other hand is what I believe your absolute oil is made of. It's referred to as "blue lotus" but technically not a lotus. The psychoactive alkaloids in this plant appear to be both water as well as alcohol soluble (reports date back to ancient Egypt of people soaking these leaves in water or wine to produce inebriating effects)

which brings us around to what you've got absolute oil. I'd never heard of this term before I went to iamshaman myself, so i decided to do some research on what exactly an absolute oil is.

http://www.erzulies.com/about_essential_oils.php

that site gave me a pretty good idea of what it is and I'll sum it up for you as best i can and relate it to how to take the absolute oil.

using a volatile solvent a waxy substance is extracted from the plant material. think of this as a resin or a tar, very concentrated, but in need of purification as solvents can be toxic. this waxy substance is alcohol soluble basically the waxy stuff gets washed with alcohol repeatedly and the evaporating fumes are collected to produce the absolute oil

this absolute oil is not water soluble, but is alcohol soluble. I'd try mixing some of the oil with some strong alcohol (100 proof vodka is my alcohol solvent of choice, everclear works better but isn't;t available in my state). down your mixed drink and see what happens.

I'll be interested in hearing what your experience with the absolute oil is as I'm a bit hesitant to order it myself not knowing what solvents they used for extraction (polar vs. non-polar). But hey if you have a good experience with it I'll be more apt to order. I'm thinking of ordering the blue lily flowers and the blue "lotus" petals and giving them a go with smoking them and soaking them in alcohol and seeing what happens.

let me how your lotus experience goes

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Blue Lotus Absolute Oil [Re: flyabusa]
    #3377067 - 11/17/04 10:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>>Nymphaea Caerulea on the other hand is what I believe your absolute oil is made of.

Why would you say that when the website lists it as the former, Nelumbo nucifera? Are you suggesting they're mislabeling a product? That is, actually using the Nymphaea to get the oil and labeling it Nelumbo, regardless of the consumer name it's been given.

None the less, the Nymphaea is a waterlilly, however when giving common names it's not uncommon to have more than one, and since Blue Lilly is a more appropriate name forAgapanthus africanus , I think Blue Lotus stuck with the Nelumbo.

With that oil, place an appropriate amount in a glass of wine.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Blue Lotus Absolute Oil [Re: neuro]
    #3378297 - 11/18/04 07:58 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think most vendors will use any of the above terms to describe any of the waterlily flowers which are blue and mix a batch with similar flowers when short, but maybe I'm just the asshole who never gets a buzz off weak gens. But read this on Nelumbo nucifera

http://www.doctorgarma.com/rst/nelumbo_nucifera/

--------------------
...or something

Offlineflyabusa
Stranger
misrepresenting [Re: neuro]
    #3382629 - 11/19/04 01:23 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>>>>>
Why would you say that when the website lists it as the former, Nelumbo nucifera? Are you suggesting they're mislabeling a product? That is, actually using the Nymphaea to get the oil and labeling it Nelumbo, regardless of the consumer name it's been given.
<<<<<

What i am saying is the picture on
http://www.iamshaman.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductUID=1001&ProductCode=BLA-1G
is advertised as Nelumbo Nucifera, but the picture displayed is of Nymphaea Caerulea.

Notice the similarity between the above picture and the pictures in the following website on Nymphaea Caerulea:

http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/egypt_waterlily.html

the leaves of Nelumbo Nucifera are fewer, larger, and rounder.

(do a google image search on Nelumbo Nucifera, or check the image on the link below)

http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/sacred.htm

Nelumbo Nucifera = sacred lotus (a true lotus, colors range from white to pink, no blue specimens of this species exist)

Nymphaea Caerulea = Blue lotus (blue lily of the Nile, not a bona-fide lotus, but for the sake of argument it's the "blue lotus")

outside of iamshaman.com no one else makes reference to a blue species of Nelumbo Nucifera, google "blue Nelumbo Nucifera" and see for yourself.

my obvious conclusion is that the blue lotus oil is made from Nymphaea Caerulea as
a.)the picture on iamshaman.com idicates this
and
b.)the only "blue" lotus is Nymphaea Caerulea

both plants are supposed to have a similar effect, but I do think there is some misleading going on.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: misrepresenting [Re: flyabusa]
    #3391094 - 11/20/04 10:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>>What i am saying is the picture on
http://www.iamshaman.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductUID=1001&ProductCode=BLA-1G
is advertised as Nelumbo Nucifera, but the picture displayed is of Nymphaea Caerulea.

You're right! I didn't even pay attention to the picture, I glossed over it looking for it's botanical name. Good catch.

Invisiblehankydanky2k
Re: misrepresenting [Re: neuro]
    #4605776 - 08/31/05 08:56 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, I think if you get anything else but 25x it will suck. At least I think that route is the most economical.

--------------------
The above post is fictitous, and any coincedence between it and real people, places, or events is unintentional.

OfflineChemical_Bliss
Officer of thelaw...
Re: misrepresenting [Re: hankydanky2k]
    #4612259 - 09/02/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yea actually ShamansPalace sells Nelumbo Nucifera seeds and has them labled as blue lotus. Perhaps vendors realize that the "Blue Lotus" is the most "hyped" and therefor are trying to lure people in...I really cant see shamans palace doing something like that though.

--------------------
'divine moments of truth, total and utter cosmic stuff...'
'be here now... i love everybody'

Offlineangelofgiftz
SiSaRa
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Blue Lotus Absolute Oil [Re: Gandhi]
    #13878039 - 01/30/11 05:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hi there all,

Article 1:

I know this post is over 5 years old in total but this is still a hot topic and yes 'truly relevant' as much of the info out there on this topic is STILL completely wrong, I have just spent a month researching this have lots of facts and I'm feeling to share them :-). I'll post a short excerpt here and make a new posting for the full rave with 'botanical references titled BOTANICALLY THERE IS NO BLUE NELUMBO (as soon as I can work out how to post a New Thread). I joint to share this but the New thread link is not coming up for me yet so I'll just do a brief intro here and make the new posting for the full version when I work it out.

First of all what 'flyabusa' said at the beginning of this post is absolutely true, botanically speaking there is NO BLUE NELUMBO LOTUS, I know it's hard to believe at first because just about every 2nd site (selling products) says there is. However the Water Lily and Lotus Botanical Gardens and farms all say there isn't and in the Water Garden Photo galleries (botanical) you will never find a picture of a blue lotus only whites thru pinks to yellow.

This is so easy to verify for yourselves... just go straight to the botanical growers/large scale gardens (not selling extracts) and there is no conflicting information! Just like 'flyabusa' in his/her 2nd post the best way is to go by the pics, eg, you can tell the water lily by its pic it has slightly more pointed petals and the centre does not have the large seed pod disc the nelumbo lotuses, you will always find the BLUE WATER LILY PIC (Nymphaea Caerulea) in blue but never a true LOTUS.

I personally contacted Botanical Growers worldwide (Aust, US and Thai) they all said the same thing there is no Blue Nelumbo they simply haven't even been able to breed a hybrid in one yet. The BLUE WATER LILY (NYMPHAEA CAERULEA) is simply confused with the NELUMBO LOTUS in the market place, it seems due to the history this is purely unintentional 99% of the time and that the mis-information is just coming down the line (resons follow).

The confusion has stemmed from two main sources;

1. The Lotus and Water Lily used to be botanically both classified in the Lotus Family, you could say they used to be considered brothers and sisters botanically so their names were often used interchangeably. New science has revealed they are more like distant relatives let's say cousins, they have significant botanical differences. Apparently even some egyptologists used to once call the BLUE WATER LILY a LOTUS!

2. The other source of confusion has been through the translation process into English, while languages like Sanskrit may have had separate definitions for the Water Lily and the Lotus when translated they were just both called Lotuses in English. People then became confused as they heard of the Egyptian Blue water Lily (Nymphaea Caerulea) and also heard of a Blue Nelumbo Lotus (through mistranslation), it’s not hard to see that a leap was made then to there being a blue in both!

So it is apparent we are not playing a blame game here but there are genuine historical sources of confusion for all including me as I’m working with and selling the essential oils (only small scale - a few locally) and what twigged me was the pics as 'flyabusa' mentioned, I could only find Blue Lily pics even on products labeled Lotus, it really made the think something wasn’t quite right and started me off on a whole investigation!  I have a background in education and really believe information should be shared freely! My aim here is to share the discoveries I have found (as clearly as possible) so that we can all know what’s going on and stop linking to mis-information and perpetuating myths! There is only a blue colour in the EGYPTIAN WATER LILY - NYMPHAEA CERULEA, it is actually a blue-purple colour, some traditions call it sky blue (Sky High Blue.. Ha Ha).

This is the tail end of around a month of researching this that I am sharing here, weeks of researching and reading conflicting information everywhere I got so fed up and started contacting true botanical based sites to get to the bottom of it!

I can't stand an unsolved mystery it will drive me crazy until everything adds up!

See the new article for full botanical and historical refs discussed (when I can get it up), I'll start putting it together now and get it up as soon as I can for everyone;

BOTANICALLY THERE IS NO BLUE NELUMBO

When I do get it up, I'll post this 'Article 1:' first with 'Article 2:' following which will included all the links and discussions around that!

I genuinely hope this is helpful for buyers and suppliers alike!

Cheers everyone

--------------------
Information is the key!

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: Blue Lotus Absolute Oil [Re: angelofgiftz]
    #13879989 - 01/31/11 12:59 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Good work, info and you're 100% correct.

Botany was less accurate than it is now and these sorts of truths emerge as more information is made available to the home/lay botanist. It isn't the funny looking professor types locked in dingy rooms with nothing better to do making new discoveries these days, it's people like you!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder