Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Private Property...?
    #3370023 - 11/16/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Abercrombie settles race case for $40 million

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Abercrombie & Fitch Co. has agreed to pay $40 million to black, Hispanic and Asian employees and job applicants to settle a class-action federal discrimination lawsuit that accused the clothing retailer of promoting whites at the expense of minorities, lawyers said Tuesday.

The settlement, approved Tuesday morning by U.S. District Court Judge Susan Illston, requires the company to adhere to a consent decree that calls for implementing new policies and programs to promote diversity and prevent discrimination in its workforce. It also must pay about $10 million to monitor compliance and cover attorneys' fees.

"We have, and always have had, no tolerance for discrimination," said Mike Jeffries, chairman and chief executive of New Albany, Ohio-based Abercrombie & Fitch Co. The company settled to avoid "long, drawn out" litigation, he said in a release.

The lawsuit was filed last June in San Francisco by Hispanic and Asian groups charging that Abercrombie & Fitch, known for its "classic casual American" clothing styles, hires a disproportionately white sales force, puts minorities in less-visible jobs and cultivates a virtually all-white image in its catalogues and elsewhere. A second, similar lawsuit was filed against the company last November in New Jersey.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission joined the private plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which alleged that Abercrombie & Fitch violated portions of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The lawsuit specifically accused the company of engaging in recruiting and hiring practices that exclude minorities and adopting a virtually all-white marketing campaign.

"The retail industry and other industries need to know that businesses cannot discriminate against individuals under the auspice of a marketing strategy or a particular 'look.' Race and sex discrimination in employment are unlawful, and the EEOC will continue to aggressively pursue employers who choose to engage in such practices," said Eric Dreiband, the EEOC's general counsel.

The EEOC estimated the settlement would affect more than 10,000 Hispanic, Asian or black men and women.

Abercrombie & Fitch said it hired Todd Corley, a diversity consultant, as its newly created vice president of diversity under the consent decree, which also calls for hiring up to 25 diversity recruiters. The company also promised that its marketing materials would reflect diversity.

The original lawsuit was brought on behalf of nine young minorities, including students and graduates of Stanford University and the University of California, who were denied jobs or fired based on their race.

"This agreement promises to transform this company, whose distinctiveness will no longer stem from an all-white image and workforce," said Thomas A. Saenz, vice president of litigation at the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Private Property...? [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3370094 - 11/16/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ridiculous.

Anonymous

#3370107 - 11/16/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i will now sue FUBU for infringing on my civil rights.  :rolleyes:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Private Property...? [Re: ]
    #3370135 - 11/16/04 05:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
i will now sue FUBU for infringing on my civil rights.  :rolleyes:

Did they turn you down for a job?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Private Property...? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3370169 - 11/16/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

no, but they hire a disproportionately black sales force and cultivate a virtually all-black image in their catalogues and elsewhere. they are engaging in recruiting and hiring practices that exclude whites and have adopted a virtually all-black marketing campaign. they need to know that businesses cannot discriminate against individuals under the auspice of a marketing strategy or a particular 'look.' I want them to promise to transform their company, whose distinctiveness will no longer stem from an all-black image and workforce.

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#3370242 - 11/16/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone down for some class-action action? $40,000,000 sounds damn good.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3370394 - 11/16/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

And the winner of the "Most politically correct sounding job in
America" award goes to.......

Abercrombie & Fitch said it hired Todd Corley, a diversity
consultant, as its newly created vice president of diversity

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3370412 - 11/16/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Doesn't FUBU stand for Fuck U Buy Us?

Seriously...I heard that's what it stood for.

Anonymous

Re: Private Property...? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3370432 - 11/16/04 06:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

no, it stands for "For Us, By Us", "Us" meaning african americans. this sounds racist. i want a lawsuit.  :rolleyes:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3370496 - 11/16/04 06:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What about a lawsuit againt BET(Black Entertainment Television) for
not showing enough white people? Seriously, if all the legal
standards were applied, I'm sure it would legally be found to be a
racist organization.

Edited by RandalFlagg (11/16/04 06:31 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3370501 - 11/16/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

How about BET? I want a WET. And while we're at it, I want a Faculty of White Studies at Columbia right now.

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Private Property...? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3370549 - 11/16/04 06:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
How about BET? I want a WET. And while we're at it, I want a Faculty of White Studies at Columbia right now.

And what about White History Month?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#3370564 - 11/16/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That too. But I want 31 days, not some wimpy 28 or 29 or 30. 31 DAYS OR FIGHT August is cool. It doesn't have anything else.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3370577 - 11/16/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i don't give a damn if some brothers from queens want to start a clothing line made by african americans for african americans. i don't give a damn if someone decides to make a TV network specifically for a black audience. i don't give a damn if they declare a black history month, or black history week, or black history day. i don't give a damn if abercrombie and fitch is too "white" for some people. a bunch of bullshit this all is. 40 million dollars? some "justice" system we have.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3370590 - 11/16/04 06:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

LOL and all this time in marketing they told me to target a majority of the population...

Anonymous

Re: Private Property...? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3370602 - 11/16/04 06:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

LOL and all this time in marketing they told me to target a majority of the population...

your marketing instructors need to get with the program then. that's not how you do it.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Private Property...? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3370672 - 11/16/04 06:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:

No, what you need to do is target an employer that targets an ethnic group other than your own. Get a job there, work for 6 months, and then scream discrimination and settle for 6 figures. Sets you up for a couple years until you can find another sap.

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #3370864 - 11/16/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I met a diversity consultant recently.
He had the most bullshit job I've ever heard described and he worked for a one of the major Wall Street firms. Probably pulls in six figures. I wish I was black.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Private Property...? [Re: Gijith]
    #3370871 - 11/16/04 07:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like the kind of work Dogbert would go into.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleJohan Shultz
no title

Loc: UTOPIA
    #3371409 - 11/16/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know what are you talking about? :confused: but I'm going to a Law Schooll!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals