Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineyoubetcha
Stranger

Overlay Questions
    #3367326 - 11/16/04 02:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I've got some serious overlay happening on my casings. Can anyone recommend some suggestions on what I can do? Should I just leave it alone? Should I patch? Should I mist?

I've already cold shocked ~16hrs and exposed to light for ~2 days (just put by the window). I've never seen such aggressive mycellium growth before though, so I'm not quite sure how to handle it.

Edited by youbetcha (11/16/04 02:40 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: Overlay Questions [Re: youbetcha]
    #3367362 - 11/16/04 02:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Looks like some serious overlay you got there mate :thumbdown: You say you put it by the window?? Was the casings exposed to direct sunlight? You could try scratching them but I wouldnt reccomend it, patch again to see if it will fix itself up, leave scratching as the last option.

--------------------

Offlineyoubetcha
Stranger

Re: Overlay Questions [Re: aussieone]
    #3367376 - 11/16/04 02:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, the casing was left under the window for 2 days. It was mostly overcast this weekend, but I've been told ambient light (through cloud cover) is sufficient. I have not yet patched once. So just patch right over top of this? Just thick enough to cover the mycellium? Should I mist the patch?

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3367421 - 11/16/04 03:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It's not good for the myc to be directly exposed to sunlight, it could be a reason why it created overlay in defence :shrug: Patch right over the top of it and give it a light misting. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinezoltar
Hello I love youwont you tell meyour name?

#3367468 - 11/16/04 03:54 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Is it the spikey rhizomorphic kind of overlay, or is it the dead looking yellowish doormat kind of overlay??? I cant really tell from that pic. If its the spikey kind leave it be ive had the best flushes from casings that were considered to have overlay. If its nice and spikey and rhizomorphic its just very agressive growth dont even patch. If its the dead doormat kind patch and if that dosent work deep scratch only as a last resort. If you could get a close up pic of that casing layer I could probably tell you if you needed to patch.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

Offlineyoubetcha
Stranger

Re: Overlay Questions [Re: zoltar]
    #3367485 - 11/16/04 04:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I tried taking another shot here. Is this any better? (btw, the little grainy spots are tiny dropplets of water cause it's pretty humid and the flash is reflecting off of them).

The mycellium is kinda stringy in spots, and fluffy in others. It's VERY white and healthy looking, no yellow at all. This is all new in the past day or two. I've never seen growth like this before.

Offlinezoltar

#3367509 - 11/16/04 04:36 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

To me that just looks like the mycellium colonized the casing layer too much. It looks pretty healthy to me. The myc always completely colonizes the casing layer for me. To the point where its completely white cant see a spot of of casing at all. IMO overlay isnt as bad as people make it out to be as long as its not the type that looks all matted and dead. But thats just my opinion mabey some one more experienced could tell you something better to do but if that was me id just leave it be.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

Offlineyoubetcha
Stranger

#3367512 - 11/16/04 04:40 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hey i really appreciate the feedback. I am leaning more towards what you're saying than trying to attempt to patch it. It' looks healthy and the growth is fast, so why mess with a good thing.

I'm going to try leaving by the window again tomorrow. Maybe they just need some more light to stimulate pinning. I'm still a bit shocked how fast it's growing. I just cased these a week ago. If everything continues like this, it's gonna be a great flush!

Offlinezoltar

#3367524 - 11/16/04 04:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

As long as the light is indirect any kind of light will work fine even sunlight. i mean its not like they get any other kind of light in nature so as long as its not direct it should be fine. Ive never had problems using anysort of indirect sunlight. Just make sure its indirect and not in the light it should be in the shadows next to the light.

--------------------

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
    #3373086 - 11/17/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Why does it need to be indirect light? Ive always used direct light with a 20 watt flourescent and done fine?

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Overlay Questions [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3373120 - 11/17/04 10:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

He means sunlight, i think. You're not suppost to have direct sunlight, only indirect. Everyone uses direct light from a flouro or other artificials.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Re: Overlay Questions [Re: atomic1]
    #3373213 - 11/17/04 11:04 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Oh cool thanks for the reply, I was concerned. Maybe my shrooms are radioactive or something...

Guess that explains the increased sex drive  :wink:

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlineyoubetcha
Stranger

#3373320 - 11/17/04 11:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I've got them sitting in indirect sunlight today, and I am seeing some knots forming. :smile: (Finally!) Any day now until these babies pin.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

#3373339 - 11/17/04 11:41 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Right on! sounds good to me.

Good shroomin to ya.

Kido

--------------------

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlinedjred

#3373887 - 11/17/04 02:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

well a 20 watt bulb is not sunlight..big diff

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #3373912 - 11/17/04 02:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I don't see the knots in your picture, sorry. I'm having some "overlay" problems though.

I had some popcorn that was incubating on a heating pad dry out. I dunked it and put it in a small container in a PMP. It seemed to start forming knots, but decided it was goign to cover the surface instead. Now it seems to be alternating between growing rhizomorphic and fuzzy mycelium. up and up and up.

the fuck?

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation