Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
A Blog from a Baghdad girl
    #3366893 - 11/15/04 10:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

This is supposedly a Blog from a girl living in Baghdad.

She doesn't paint a very rosy picture of the American occupation or
the current situation in her country.

I was actually thinking of joining the military...but when I see
that the people I would be wanting to help don't want the US there,
and the people I would fight are at least receiving some support
from certain segments of the population, it makes me rethink
that thought.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: A Blog from a Baghdad girl [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3367016 - 11/15/04 10:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Every -  EVERY - person in the military I have spoken to has said the people overwhelmingly support them.  Many have said that in spite of the danger, they plan on voluteering to stay in Iraq, and a few in Afghanistan.

A woman I work with that was staunchly Democrat and voiced hatred for Bush and our unjust war came in a few weeks ago to tell the story of her best friend who has been stationed there and going back for her third tour - voluntarily.  She first thought her friend was crazy but after talking to her she came in and said that she had been wrong in her assesment.  She and her friends mother had tried to talk the girl out of going back for an entire day.  The girl spent the whole day trying to reason with them why it was the right thing to do.  She told her all kinds of stories of things the Iraqi's would do for the soldiers, and even spoke of them inviting them into their homes for meals ( but I would be pretty apprehensive of that considering it might be a trap).  The girl claimed that the picture the media paints is so hopelessly inaccurate that noone would believe the how much has been accomplished.

The girl I work with admitted that she had been wrong, but still wouldn't say who she had voted for.  Can't quite figure that one out  :confused:

Look around for some other blogs.  That one is by no means the consensus.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: A Blog from a Baghdad girl [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #3367194 - 11/15/04 11:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The girl claimed that the picture the media paints is so hopelessly inaccurate that noone would believe the how much has been accomplished.

I thought the picture the mainstream media painted was that Iraq was being liberated, everyone but "terrorists" love the americans and they can't wait for the elections? I havn't read any genuine opinions from guys like the Iraqi taxi driver who said 15 out of the 18 provinces are hopelessly out of control.

I can't remember the last mainstream media source who even referred to the the fighters in Iraq as "Iraqis" rather than "terrorists" or "insurgents". Pretty neat control of language there. Or one that points out Allawi is a US installed and controlled puppet as opposed to "the government of Iraq".

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: A Blog from a Baghdad girl [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #3367243 - 11/16/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Look around for some other blogs. That one is by no means the consensus

exactly. There are much more articulate bloggers that paint a grimmer picture. Then you'll get your consensus. I've yet to read a blog from an Iraqi in Iraq that is overwhelmingly in support of the occupation.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: A Blog from a Baghdad girl [Re: Xlea321]
    #3367764 - 11/16/04 07:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I was listening to CNN the other day, and I never once heard anyone refer to some Iraqis as "terrorists". They did call them "insurgents", but since most Americans don't know what "insurgent" means...

COme to think of it, I still don't know what it means. I looked it up when I first heard it to see if it involved anything surging in from somewhere else.

Turns out it doesn't, but I doubt most Americans know that.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Jump to top Pages: 1