Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Intresting, my first contamination
    #3366322 - 11/15/04 10:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is the first time Ive ever had any contaminants on my mushies :frown:

I had 2 of my 3 last cakes become infected with bacillus(sp)and so fearing the worst I removed the one with obvious green patches which was a total loss and then noticed the one next to it had thick snow like mycelium growth on a small area that usually precedes the green mold in order to prevent any further spread and hopefully save the final cake i removed both.

I threw the 3rd one away, but after inspecting the second cake I descided to just cut about a 1/4 away and see how it fared. I  transferred the 2nd into a seperate propergator in the garage pretty basic set up aquarium heater to 26 degrees inch or so of water w/dilute bleach at the base salted it around the cut edge and left it for around 12 hours then salted again and added a small amount to the base water of the cake.

I came back to it to find the green stuff clawing its way across the top of the cake so i cut another 2/4 off and not expecting anything more than a slow death for the cake left it for 2 days mainly becasue id forgotten about it.

When i got back the cake was fruiting about 10 primordia and around 30 2cm mushrooms pointing skyward which all look healthy no mutations few aborts and the cakes still looking pretty healthy.

Now i know P. cubensis is pretty hardy when compared to some other shrooms but what im more worried about is although there appears to be no mold are the mushrooms going to safe to consume?

From what ive read bacillus can make you ill so is it just the mushrooms can continue growing regardles of the presence of it or it possible that the mold has somehow been defeated by the salt and the mushrooms totally colonising ahead of it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Intresting, my first contamination [Re: Retow]
    #3384243 - 11/19/04 02:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is though call.
If you really identified the contaminant as bacillus i wouldn't risk it ...

Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum