Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
U.S. airborne laser advances to 'First Light'
    #3366032 - 11/15/04 09:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

And they said it would never work..

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A Boeing Co.-led team has successfully fired for the first time a powerful laser meant to fly aboard a modified 747 as part of a U.S. ballistic missile defense shield, officials said on Friday.

The test, dubbed "First Light" by insiders, lasted only a fraction of a second but gave the project an important boost at a time it was deemed at risk of cuts or cancellation.

The Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency described the event -- carried out on Wednesday in a 747 fuselage on the ground at Edwards Air Force Base in California -- as a "landmark achievement" for the so-called Airborne Laser system.

"It showed they work," said Kenneth Englade, an agency spokesman, of the laser's six identical, pickup-truck-sized, modules linked to fire as a single unit. "The rest is fine-tuning."

The Chemical Oxygen Iodine laser is built by Northrop Grumman Corp. It includes breakthrough optics designed to focus a basketball-sized spot of heat on a missile's skin to rupture it up to hundreds of miles away.

Pentagon officials envision several such aircraft flying by turns near North Korea or another potential foe's territory. The goal is to detect, track and destroy a missile when that would be easiest, before it releases a warhead that could be tipped with chemical, nuclear or germ weapons.

Demonstrated progress, particularly in achieving "First Light," would be critical to continuation of the project, negotiators from the House of Representatives and Senate armed services committees said in a report last month accompanying the 2005 Defense Authorization Act.

Congress authorized President Bush's request for $474.3 million for the program in fiscal 2005, which began October 1, as part of the $10 billion budgeted for missile defense development and deployment.

Philip Coyle, the Pentagon's chief weapons tester under former President Bill Clinton and a critic of early missile defense deployment plans, described the test on Wednesday as very important to people working on the program.

"They deserve a lot of credit for having gotten this far," he said in a telephone interview. "But they've still got a long way to go" to demonstrate shoot-down capability.

Among other technical challenges, Coyle said, engineers must figure out ways to fire the laser for the longer time needed to zap a missile without damaging the optics through which the beam passes -- a kind of technical Catch-22.

In coming months, Englade said, engineers hope to boost the duration and power of the laser's beam. It will then be installed on a 747-400F aircraft for a test that includes shooting down a dummy ballistic missile over the Pacific. No date has been set for that test.

A multibillion-dollar ground-based system for detecting and destroying missiles fired from a country like North Korea is due to be declared ready for operation by the end of next month.

The ground-based system, also integrated by Boeing, is meant to be the first leg in a system that could ultimately include the airborne laser as well as interceptor rockets that could become the first weapons based in space.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/11/15/arms.missile.laser.dc.reut/index.html

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Edited by downforpot (11/15/04 09:36 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: U.S. airborne laser advances to 'First Light' [Re: downforpot]
    #3366128 - 11/15/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

all the enemy has to do is mirrorize the missiles...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3366131 - 11/15/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Imagine shining that bitch in your eye, lol.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3366165 - 11/15/04 10:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I still don't think it (satalite based ballistic missile defence) will ever work. It only benefits politicians and the people getting the grants.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3366203 - 11/15/04 10:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I doubt this will work the way they have planned: aboard a flying 747.

However this is the first step towards space-based lasers. Once those are around, all it takes is a push of a button and any single person you want dead will be so (provided you know where they are).

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: U.S. airborne laser advances to 'First Light' [Re: phi1618]
    #3366204 - 11/15/04 10:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Its not satellite based, its a defense mechanism designed for passenger jets which picks up a threat on radar and hits it with a laser to virtually melt through the missle and destroy it.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #3366214 - 11/15/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I still don't think it (satalite based ballistic missile defence) will ever work. It only benefits politicians and the people getting the grants.

if the russians and the chinese ever thought that bushs' missile "defense" system might actually work someday..then they would dump every single nuke they had on us while they still have the chance...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Edited by Annapurna1 (11/15/04 10:10 PM)

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: U.S. airborne laser advances to 'First Light' [Re: trendal]
    #3366415 - 11/15/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, sorry - din't read too carefully :o

but, that's an interesting point about people - it's unlikely to ever work on ballistic missiles (made out of metal, spinning, and designed to withstand high temps), but it could easily kill people (not made out of metal, don't spin, and not able to withstand high temps.) hmmm....

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3366444 - 11/15/04 11:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well im not sure how far it can go. The biggest threat would be a plane identifying another plane as a threat and burning a hole in its fuselage. Who knows? pretty soon we might have laser guns...as soon as they reduce the "6 pick-up sized modules" to a nice handheld device. :p

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: U.S. airborne laser advances to 'First Light' [Re: Catalysis]
    #3367680 - 11/16/04 07:52 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You could build a 100 watt CO2 laser that isn't too large. Something along the lines of an over-sized machine gun from WW2 :smirk:

A 100W laser will burn a hole right through a human in a second or two.

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3367700 - 11/16/04 08:15 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

sweet, we can fly above Iraq and pester insurgents with the laser.  Sort of like ants with a magnifying glass. :thumbup:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion