Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
report on grain jar method
    #3364373 - 11/15/04 02:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i pc'd a batch of wbs jars using only the lid they came w/, w/ innoc. holes punched in and a layer of alluminum foil over that.  pc'd for a little over an hour.  i then inoculated all 18 ish jars w/ one 12cc syringe  :eek:.  i used no tyvek or polyfill or any of those bells and whistles  :wink:(it can be done w/o all the dressing!!)

when i inoculated i did it two jars at a time (heating the needle only once for two jars).  i used less than 1 cc per jar and as quickly as possible i wiped another layer of alluminum foil with isopropyl 99% alcohol and threw it over the punctured inoculation alluminum foil layer.  its been about 5 days i think and i've just shaken all the jars (85 percent which show growth, 0% which show contams) at the 5% colonization mark.

the point of this post is to let all the the lazy mofo's  :wink: and people who can't find tyvek or polyfill know that grains can be done w/o as much care as in the teks!  good luck to all.

i think next time i won't even simmer the grains after soaking and see if it works out doing it that way.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: report on grain jar method [Re: TODAY]
    #3364596 - 11/15/04 03:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've never simmered wbs. I let it soak for about 40 hours though. I don't think I've ever seen it sprout.

I've never used tyvek, haven't ever found it :P

I like your idea of wipping the tinfoil with isopropyl, though, i'ma start doing that.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: report on grain jar method [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3364609 - 11/15/04 03:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i figured alcohol would kill everything at the inoculation point, creating less of a chance for contams.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Loc: michigan
    #3364681 - 11/15/04 03:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i know ppl who dont even use tin foil after innoculating. they just leave the lid with an open innoc hole just chillin... they stor their jars in a rubber made which works for some airbourne microb protection. but no fancy filters or anything.

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: report on grain jar method [Re: MycoGlowFlow]
    #3364892 - 11/15/04 04:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, i guess i just find it funny when i see growlogs with people handling syringes and even colonizing jars w/ gloves on. also, when people apply polyfill, two layers of tyvek, work under a home-made flowhood...etc.

a message to the meticulous...things can be done alot more simply than you think!! (either that or i live in an extraordinarilly mold-free pig sty)

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3365018 - 11/15/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Today,

The trueth is probably in the middle... :p

How big are those jars (in wbs volume) you spend your 12CC on? I mean what volume did you inoculated your sporesyringe with?
Or did you use something else for inoculation?

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: report on grain jar method [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3365045 - 11/15/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i did a grain 2 grain transfer as an experiment in one jar and it worked beautifully.

the other 18 (i think) jars are all pint sized. all 12cc's were spent on the jars. i probably could have stretched it to a few more jars but the end bit i had with my last two jars would be pointless to save so i split it between the last two jars.

i also used about 1/3 of a medium sized print (i used to use 1 whole print) in that syringe. i learned that a print/syringe can go a long way if used sparingly.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3365065 - 11/15/04 04:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

w00t?

hmz me dont see then why 10CC is used for 10 pf cakes. Which are half a pint.
You use like 10CC on 15 pints. So you could inoculate 30 pf cakes with 10CC?
I just ordered a GT syringe today, hmz must see how I will handle it. Maybe I want tor try some liquid culture or something...

Ok well see! Good luck with ur wbs jars m8! :laugh: :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: report on grain jar method [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3365626 - 11/15/04 06:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thanks friend, good luck in your GT endeavors! remember, you can print some mature caps too just to make sure you have a stock of spores put away for the future.

i really didn't want to use the syringe on half of my jars and re-sterilize/make another syringe and have to wait for the spores to rehydrate. i wanted to get all of the jars done with 1 syringe so i stretched it. this probably works best for grains though. if you are innoculating brf you should use at least 1 cc per pint jar (preferably more), divide that 1cc or 2 amidst the 4 inoculation points in the pf tek. the reason a syringe can stretch like this so well for grains is because you inoculate 1 point and then shake the jars, which disperses the spores more, you can't shake brf so if you used as little spore solution as i did you'd be waiting months for your brf to colonize.

once you get a successful at brf i sincerely reccommend moving up to grains. grains are even less of a pain in the ass than brf (oh god, i could never go back to brf). any more questions? feel free to ask!!

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3368070 - 11/16/04 09:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yes I think I will try grains soon (again). I have my first grow here in the incubation and the cakes are doing shit, the popcorn pint is colonizing slightly better.  I forgot to shake the syringe before inoculation and I did not shake the popcorn pint after inoculating it. I did that 4 days later or so, so the growht is really not spread but at least there are some areas with mycelium growing.
I think it must be easier with grains if you can get humidity right in the jars.
WIth the cakes one is struggling with sticky wet cakemix and all. Grains is more straight on imho.

BUT I def want to grow some succesfull cakes, also to experiment a bit with the dunking and rolling, comparing them to not dunked cakes etc...

I am planning to grow some liquid culture Id like to use the current popcorn for that. Before I case it I want to save some of this strain and experiment in a little grain2grain transer..

Its fascinating this new hobby of mine! :laugh:

(And yes making sporeprints is also a part of the game!) :laugh:

--------------------

Edited by MushroomFriend (11/16/04 09:15 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract