Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Hygrometer, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIxxRoBxxI
 User Gallery

Gulf Coast (Rye) casings in PMP produce TINY shrooms, HELP!
    #3364750 - 11/15/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

My friend has a couple casings of gulf coast and a couple casings of amazonian in a PMP. The PMP is a small 14gal rubbermaid with bubble wand and lava rocks and 4 blue leds in the lid for light.

Both GC casings look the same and the AMZ casings look the same so its very easy to tell the strains apart and know that its not the environment that they are in (since they were both in the same environment and are very different). The gulf coast is producing tons of tiny pins and a bunch mature but only to a max of 3" with tiny caps and many abort. The amazonian produces big fat pins with nice pinsets and most of them mature to a good size. The casings were made the same exact way in gladware deepdish containers with 1/2" bottom casing layer, 1.5" substrate layer (used 1 qt jar per casing), and 1/4-1/2" top casing layer (casing mix was 60/40 coir/verm). All casings were sprayed generously 3 times in the week between fruiting and pinning and they get whatever water from the moisture in the air of the pmp.

The GC completely ate through the top and bottom casing layers and i just saw online that a vendor says GC benefits a lot from cold shocking to keep from overlay. The only coldshocking mine got was going from 85f incubating temp to about 70-75f room/fruiting temp.

She has another pmp with 2 GC casings in it since she couldn't fit them in the other one, same conditions but she thinks they overlayed even more than the others because very few shrooms are growing and still very small.

I guess her question is what can/should she do about them and what could the problem be? Should she scratch/recase after this flush and coldshock in the fridge or just let them be? Could GC need a thicker substrate layer to produce big shrooms?

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here you go:

These are the tiny GC (Ignore the yellow, just bad lighting)

These are the Amazonian from the same fruiting container

Gulf Coast from other rubbermaid (Other one in there is similar to this)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIxxRoBxxI
 User Gallery

Re: Gulf Coast (Rye) casings in PMP produce TINY shrooms, HELP! [Re: IxxRoBxxI]
    #3365508 - 11/15/04 07:58 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

::BUMP::

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3365532 - 11/15/04 08:02 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Hmm.. your substrate layer seems adequate.

How's the ventilation?

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3365550 - 11/15/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

yeah, wait for these ones to do their' thing, then flear everything, scratch it, and patch in any holes. then cold shock in ur frige/outside for a night. then make sure ur pod is about 85-90% RH, as 100 RH can cause overlay.

id be happy with what u got, though.

good job.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

OfflineIxxRoBxxI
 User Gallery

Re: Gulf Coast (Rye) casings in PMP produce TINY shrooms, HELP! [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3365811 - 11/15/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Thanks for the responses.

Her ventilation is just the rubbermaid lid not on tight. Its on but not 'clicked' in so it shouldn't be airtight and she thinks the air movement from the bubble wands/air pump is enough to get the CO2 to escape out the cracks.

She's happy with what she has gotten especially since her first two attempts failed horribly but she just finds it weird that one substrain is acting so differently.  She's just assuming those GC that grew are going to dry and shrivel up into nothing and get like 1g out of all that heh.

She has a hygrometer but its probably not accurate enough to even estimate 85-90% humidity.

She thinks she will take your advice and after this flush scratch, recase and cold shock and see how that goes.  Then again, she just brought up a point that some strains do a lot better on their second/third flushes and was wondering if a scratch/recase would ruin that since you are taking any forming knots/pins off.

So as of now her plans are to scratch/recase those two really bad ones (like the third picture) and coldshock and just let the other two (like the first picture) continue doing their thing.

Maybe taping/gluing something to the lid or top lip of the rubbermaid to keep it open a little more to lower humidity will benefit them.

There are too many variables in life to always come out on top (unless you are Magash  :wexican: )

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Hygrometer, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation