Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Herb Grinder, pH Test Strips, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
San Padro Question
    #3362548 - 11/15/04 02:58 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Would it be possible to completely dry and powderize a trip sized portion of the cactus. Then take the powder and soak it in everclear ... Is mescaline alkaloids extractable by alcohol? You could then strain, and evap the alcohol off... Or is mescaline only extractable by heat, which is why most people boil it? I asume either method would work

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: San Padro Question [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3362595 - 11/15/04 03:19 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Theres a member here that swears by an alcohol extraction method. Most seem not to use it though. I've only tried boiling and don't have any dry stuff to work with anyway.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: San Padro Question [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3362834 - 11/15/04 06:19 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

I'm pretty sure it works, however if I remember correctly, it forms a highly caustic oil when evapped, and you would have to do an A/B extraction if you wanted to make it usable.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #3363191 - 11/15/04 10:57 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

It is very possible to do what you describe. I have done it several times and shared the result with friends who have all enjoyed it greatly.

Here ya go

Grind dried cactus material into as fine a powder as possible using a coffee grinder or whatever you have available.

Soak the powder in a strong alcohol. I use 190 proof grain alcohol. It's not toxic if some is left in the product and it has very little water that can be left in the product as well.

Let it soak for around 24 hours, then drain off the alcohol and save it. You can do this as many times as you see fit, but I don't think that any more than 3 times is necessary.

Now just use a water bath or some other soft heat source to evaporate the alcohol. If you try to evaporate the alcohol too fast it may superboil and in a flash it will boil out of the container you have it in. I have done this and it sucks. DO NOT DO THIS AROUND AN OPEN FLAME. NO SMOKING. USE VENTILATION

You will end up with a thick tar-like substance. This is a concentration of the alkaloids, plant fats, and such stuff of the cactus. It should taste bitter. This is a good thing as this is evidence of mescaline. A glass of water will wash down the taste very effectively.

I usually start off with 100 grams and split the results with another person. That dose always is effective. It may be more than what someone else may want to experience. It may be less. You'll have to find your own right dose.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: San Padro Question [Re: dblaney]
    #3363282 - 11/15/04 11:42 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

dblaney18 said:
I'm pretty sure it works, however if I remember correctly, it forms a highly caustic oil when evapped, and you would have to do an A/B extraction if you wanted to make it usable.

Mescaline freebase is an oil, not the salt form. I did an extraction with acetone. It yielded a gum. It was active although not strong, this had something to do with the mesc content of the starting matierial.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: San Padro Question [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3363390 - 11/15/04 12:13 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

used to be a phamaceutical product labeled "tincture of peyote"...
so it would certainly be possible to make an ethanolic extraction of Trichocereus cactus chips...

(do some reading (merck index, CRC handbook, lange's, trout's notes, whatever) to figure out the optimal pH for your solvent extraction; often alkaloids are bound with organic acids in vivo; what happens in vitro is up to you, eh?)

(soxhleting ("percolating" warm ethanol in a sealed vessel) might be more efficient than repeated soakings, but any boozifying method should work just fine...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: San Padro Question [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3365033 - 11/15/04 06:47 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Salt forms of mescaline are not soluble in acetone at all, mr_minds_eye.
Acetone is commonly used as a very effective wash on mesc crystals, and causes little to no loss of product IME.

I'd say the small amount of mescaline which made its way into your extract was either in its freebase form originally or was extracted by the small % of water in your acetone.

Acetone would probably be effective if you were to somehow basify your plant matter before extracting, though.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: San Padro Question [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3365035 - 11/15/04 06:48 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Ekstaza, thanks!

Just a question though: You say you dose 100 grams? I assume this is BEFORE you avap the alcohol off? 100 grams DRY cactus? 100 WET?

I am gonna try this evap method...

So basically once you get it down to a thick putty with most of the alcohol evappd off, what is the best method of consumption?

I assume by what you said you just add a little water, swirl it up, swallow, and then chase with more water?

I think this method may be the best way to take it, and avoid the nasty drinking tons of goo method : )

Have you noticed any REDUCTION of nausea when using this method?

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3365057 - 11/15/04 06:52 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

100 dry of course. but he said thats for 2 people. so, 50. though as low as 25-30 may very well work.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: San Padro Question [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3365314 - 11/15/04 07:30 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

cool :thumbup:

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

#3365408 - 11/15/04 07:43 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

How much of the gooey stuff is left to swallow when the extraction is complete? Could you presumably dry the extract completely, powder it, and encapsulate it in a reasonable number of capsules?

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

#3365423 - 11/15/04 07:45 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Hm...this is very cool then. Now, hypothetically speaking of course, let's say that such pure ethanol wasn't available. What alternatives may there be? I would think isopropyl or denatured alcohol, however these are both toxic and I don't think I would want to risk that. I don't know though...what do you all think?

--------------------

- John Mayer

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX
    #3365562 - 11/15/04 08:06 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

You can always fill 00 gelcaps with the oil.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: San Padro Question [Re: esin]
    #3365873 - 11/15/04 09:03 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

esin said:
Salt forms of mescaline are not soluble in acetone at all, mr_minds_eye.
Acetone is commonly used as a very effective wash on mesc crystals, and causes little to no loss of product IME.

I'd say the small amount of mescaline which made its way into your extract was either in its freebase form originally or was extracted by the small % of water in your acetone.

Acetone would probably be effective if you were to somehow basify your plant matter before extracting, though.

Thanks for the info. My main point was that freebase mesc is an oil rather than the salt form. That's all.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3366039 - 11/15/04 09:37 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

I tripped on San pedro yesterday using Denatured Alcohol and a electric Teflon covered Wok.

Here is what I did. I finley ground up 60 grams of very dry Cati. Then I put into the Wok with enough Alcohol to just cover it up.

I then put foil over the top of the Wok and left it set for 4 hours stiring it every 15 mins or so.

Then I turned on the heat to low. Simmered the batch for another hour adding more Alcohol as needed.

I DID THIS OUTSIDE...............OUTSIDE!!

Then I let it cool somewhat. I used a Tee Shirt to strain all the stuff from the liquid.

The liquid was put back into the Wok. Turned the heat on med and boiled most of the Alcohol off.

AS the stuff became thick I turned the heat off.

I let it set with the lid off for another 4-6 hours. The gummy stuff was scraped up and spread on slices of bread balled up and eaten.

This got 2 people very high and I was tripped out for 8 hours.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Re: San Padro Question [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3366123 - 11/15/04 09:53 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

A good trip I hope? How efficient would you estimate that method at being?

--------------------

- John Mayer

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3366152 - 11/15/04 09:59 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

I have no clue. I took what I read at the shroomery and what tools and materials I had around the house.

And Bingo Bango I was trippin.

Yes it was a very good trip. No stomach problems nothing but a good trip. Mild visuals and heavy body buzz. About 10 hours later I was watching black and white movies and I was seeing the edegs of the TV warp and morph. Cooooooooooooool

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: San Padro Question [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3366343 - 11/15/04 10:45 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Great trip report and writeup.. thanks Fucknuckle... So, you spread the 'jam' over bread ehh? And no nausea!?!? Just what I wanted to hear.

I am also curious about drying they mescaline 'hash' into power and capsulating

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #3368854 - 11/16/04 02:51 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

2Experimental said:

I am also curious about drying they mescaline 'hash' into power and capsulating

I've tried to dry the tar/syrup using a desiccant chamber but it never got completely dry. It will thicken up a lot though. I guess you could roll it up into little balls, maybe covering the outside with flour.

I always just take about a heaping teaspoon of the stuff and send it down the hatch. You could add some water and drink it if that's your preferance. Be advised that I have found no additive that will make it taste any better.

I don't know if this method will decrease nausia for you or not because I have never really had any nausia with cactus other than from the taste.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: San Padro Question [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3369619 - 11/16/04 05:58 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

What about Everclear on wet Pedro flesh? How does that work? What's a good way to do it. Ek?

--------------------
...or something

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Herb Grinder, pH Test Strips, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden