Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
College crappiness
    #3360120 - 11/14/04 01:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Some of you may snicker at my college "situation," because at first glance it isn't really a big deal.

I'm growing resentful of college. I go to a community college, and I'm tired of the professors who treat everyone like high school kids, pick favorites in class and who are overly impressed with themselves. I'm also tired of the students, most of which happen to be fresh out of high school and form cliques in my classes, discussing who fucked who, and who got wasted friday night, etc. So maybe the professors are right treating everyone like stupid adolescents since the majority act that way, but it's really growing thin for me.

Even people my own age (21) I can't relate to, because most are living at home, and I'm married and don't do a lot of the activities that are "normal" for people my age. So I have no friends, but it's certaintly not because I'm not trying. It just seems like everytime someone hears that I'm married, they ignore me. Whatever, that's fine, but it just gets frustrating.

In addition, I am starting to resent my classes in general. They're boring and tedious and take up too much of my time. I guess I mistakingly thought I could take college full time and still have it be a "hobby," not dictating my life or anything. Clearly, I was wrong. I hate the way everything has to revolve around my college plans.

I'm more then 3/4's through the semester, so I'm hanging on until Christmas break, but it's still an effort to drag my ass to class everyday when I am starting to despise it so much. I find myself missing more and more classes, and making excuses for my absences, then trying to get caught up again, only to miss more classes. Somehow, I'm managing to hang on.

The worst part is that I fully intend on graduating from college. I'm not going to college for myself, but for Kevin's future and my stories. I figure that most publishers will take me more seriously if I have a degree, which is probably true. I will finish college, but I'm starting to hate it.

I realize that how I am feeling is not "abnormal," that many people feel like this, especially during their first year of college. I know I'm not saying anything new here. I guess I'm just pissed at how college is turning out for me. It's nothing like my parents and relatives were gloating about when I first started.

Anyway, that's my rant, suggestions for enduring the college tedium welcome.

*me*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenorwegian1
-----???r??T?------

Loc: the shadow in the backgro...
Re: College crappiness [Re: MOTH]
    #3360149 - 11/14/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

college sucks

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #3360161 - 11/14/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome to the real world where you sometimes make sacrifices to better yourself...Just dont take your deer rifle up into the tower :smirk:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlinenorwegian1
-----???r??T?------

Loc: the shadow in the backgro...
Re: College crappiness [Re: OldSpice]
    #3360164 - 11/14/04 01:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah dont do that :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: College crappiness [Re: norwegian1]
    #3360209 - 11/14/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

get a divorce, start banging 18 year olds, and get wasted! then you'll fit in!

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: College crappiness [Re: OldSpice]
    #3360383 - 11/14/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alounacara said:
Welcome to the real world where you sometimes make sacrifices to better yourself...

I hate the fact that I know you're right!  :tongue: :wink:

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #3360429 - 11/14/04 03:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

well if it means much to you, you're not alone... i wish somebody would allow me to sit for a few years, reading things that interest me, discussing them with people who actually cared about the topic at hands - and then allow me to accredidate myself when I felt I had sufficiently studied the topic.  but, nah, instead we've got to pay big bucks to be patronized and study with people who go to college for the keggers and easy chicks.... :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinezenmunk
King of thepickle people.
 User Gallery

#3360441 - 11/14/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

" I find myself missing more and more classes, and making excuses for my absences, then trying to get caught up again, only to miss more classes. "

i know what you mean, i'm in the exact spot as you. i'm 21 and just started my first year at the local community college. it sucks to wake up at 6:30am in the cold when there is no sun out yet :frown:  I slacked off last week and am making up a weeks worth of studying tonight.

Good luck and hang in there the semester is almost over.

--------------------
Like a meteor, like darkness, as a flickering lamp, An illusion, like hoar-frost or a bubble, Like clouds, a flash of lightning, or a dream: So is all conditioned existence to be seen. -buddha

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: College crappiness [Re: zenmunk]
    #3360464 - 11/14/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Just dont take your deer rifle up into the tower

I don't think it was your standard deer rifle, I believe it was a little more high powered than that...maybe I'm wrong.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Offlinelippy
Stranger
Re: College crappiness [Re: zenmunk]
    #3360475 - 11/14/04 03:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah... i am at a community college for a year in order to get instate tuition to the state i am in.

it's terrible, i went to one of the best public high schools in america. i am taking gen eds for the college i am going to transfer into right now, and i took similar classes in high school that were A LOT harder. it's just pitaful.

you're so right about the teachers, they count tardies and shit, it's just stupid.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: College crappiness [Re: lippy]
    #3360503 - 11/14/04 03:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Exactly. Here is one example out of several of the general asshole-ness of the professors:

I was driving to my college history class early one morning, when all of a sudden I got really nauseous. My stomach started cramping and my mouth starting salivating, and I knew that I was about to heave. I stopped at a nearby gas-station, went to the bathroom, and got extremely sick for about 15 minutes. Finally, I felt okay to drive again, so I got in my car and continued to class.

Well, I was five minutes late to my history class because of stopping at the gas station, and when I sat down at my seat I realized that the professor had already handed out reviews for our next exam. I approached him after class to request the review that I missed, and he said, "sorry, you weren't here on time, so you don't get a review."

I was like..."I'm sorry I was late, but I was sick on the drive and had to pull over--"

He totally cut me off, saying, "I don't accept excuses. Be on time next time if you want the material to study."

So what was I supposed to fucking do? Vomit all over my car and then track it into his stupid class? That pissed me off so much because it was so unfair. I wanted say, "shut up, you motherfucker. Shit happens," but I didn't.

Another thing he does is tell students to drop out of college. Like, if you miss a question the exam that he thinks you should have gotten, he'll say, "If you missed this question, you need to seriously reevaluate your purpose here and possibly consider a different path in life. Maybe college isn't for you."

All because of a fucking QUESTION on the stupid exam. (and yes, I did miss that particular question, so maybe that's why I got so angry at his presumption.)

I can't stand him.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3360556 - 11/14/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That's pretty harsh. I've never had a professor do that with me. Maybe you should transfer to a full University. The chances are better that they'll treat you like an adult...

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3360572 - 11/14/04 03:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

College is supposed to be a challenge, otherwise it wouldn't mean anything. Quit smoking so much pot, that might help you get with the grind better.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: College crappiness [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3360577 - 11/14/04 03:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:
Quit smoking so much pot, that might help you get with the grind better.

I only smoke on Friday's now.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#3360769 - 11/14/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Lol my community college was totally lax on attendance. I showed up to most classes on test days only. I got A's on their tests, so most teachers never said a word. Transfered to a large state school and i am finishing up my 2 years here. If you think comm college is bad on attendence state schools are worse

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3360800 - 11/14/04 04:31 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like a good plan.
As for the mean history professor you are going to have at least one every semester. It could be a lot worse than what he did. I've had several professors who've gone out of their way to humiliate me in front of the class. One time I emailed one professor and asked him what chapters the next exam would cover, mentioning that we had strayed from what his syllabus said we would be doing and he came in the next class and threw a huge fit, cursing me out in front of an auditorium sized class.
College is like life, there's lots of asshole students, a few asshole professors, just gotta suck it up.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: College crappiness [Re: Ramlaen]
    #3360802 - 11/14/04 04:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah seriously. I go to Georgia Tech and I have alot more attendance problems than my friends at the local community college. I was only allowed to miss 3 classes in English, I can't miss any labs, I get an attendance grade in physics, and I have mandartory digital lab lectures.

So sucks.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#3360806 - 11/14/04 04:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My husband went to UT in Austin and he said the classes were so huge the professors never cared who showed up or not. It was completely up to the students to attend classes as they wanted or needed to.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#3360813 - 11/14/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The first few entry classes that are in auditorums, the professors wont' care. In any situation where its like a 30 person or less classroom, you have to be there no matter what or they harrass you

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#3360818 - 11/14/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That's probably true. Even still I think my history professor was being a dick.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck