Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleswm
Stranger
Loc: Ohio
I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice...
    #3360221 - 11/14/04 04:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm fucked what else can I say.I have $14.38 in my account,I work 40 hours a week but it's just not cutting it.My rent is coming up in about 10 days.Does anyone have any advice,by the way I'm posting at my aunt's house.She has Internet connection, I'm not looking for pity I'm looking for advice.
I did find a cheaper apartment $450 a month everything included,electric,sewer,ect...,.I doubt I can afford this for at least another 3 months.So my question is,how can I survive living out of a car for 3 months?I need advice on how to eat cheap,stay warm,and basically stay safe living in my car.
Thanks for any advice,I'm going to try to get a second job.That away I can afford a place to stay.
If my aunt lets me use her computer I will keep you all updated.
I really appreciate any advice,thank you for your time.I'm not looking for a hand out if that's what your thinking.I just want some advice from people who have been where I'm at.

--------------------
I can't spell and I have poor grammar.The crap I just posted is proof enough.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: swm]
    #3360481 - 11/14/04 05:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There's no where that you can crash for 3 months until you are able to get on your feet again? No friends or family? What about at your aunts?

If you are going to have to sleep in your car.. be careful about where you park. It's illegal to live out of a vehicle unless it has a bathroom. (IE: Trailer) You can get a ticket and told to leave if you get caught.

Wrap yourself in blankets, and breath under them. It will warm up quicker. Sleep with your body close, as in the fetal position. Peanut butter and bread is all anyone needs to survive. They say if you are living for long periods of time in a forest or something, to bring peanut butter. It seems to be the survival food because it's high in many things your body needs.

That's all I can think of right now but I'll be sure to post again if anything else comes to me.

I know how shitty it is living on the street. I did for 2 years off and on. Slept in old abandoned houses and sometimes didn't sleep at all and just walked around.. I hope you get thru this by the easiest possible way. You should really take into consideration asking a friend if they can put you up for a little while.

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: sykobish]
    #3361194 - 11/14/04 08:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

sykobish said:
If you are going to have to sleep in your car.. be careful about where you park.  It's illegal to live out of a vehicle unless it has a bathroom. (IE: Trailer) You can get a ticket and told to leave if you get caught.

Whoa, that's ridiculous.

Well, if there is absolutely no friend or family around that you can have to house you then I guess living out of your car is the way to go.  Churches are a good place to hang out; sometimes they have free food (they almost always do on Sundays) and they have bathrooms and rarely showers.  The Krispy Kreme in my area gives you a few free doughnuts if you ask when they're making them hot. 

My friend told me about this cool strat for getting free food.  Call and order pizza from a Dominoes or whereever shortly before it closes.  Tell them that you are going pick it up, but instead just hang around area.  If noone picks it up, then they are forced to throw it out.  Hang around and either ask for some free pizza or wait by the dumpster.  It works pretty well at some of the places in my area, but it depends on the people and scene a lot, I guess.

Don't forget to exploit all-you-can-eat resturaunts and resturants with free appetizers with meals.

Other than that, use coupons, buy things on sale, in bulk, with good nutritional value and content, filling et cetera.  Like ramen noodles.

Libraries are a good place to hang out too, especially ones with internet access.  Get a library card.  :smirk:

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineNuperSova
Stranger
Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: Society]
    #3361618 - 11/14/04 10:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I hope it doesn't result to you having to sleep in your car. But like someone said, you can hang out at libraries, especially university ones cause they stay open late and have multilevels for the most part I think so you can nap for a while some place warm.

Maybe an quick easy second job would be a telemarketing job, they pay decently and it's not that hard to get hired.

Hope everything works out, and you are able to find some place to stay though.

Peace
Chryss

--------------------
I Refuse To Say I'm Lost Just Because I Don't Know Where I Am

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #3361754 - 11/14/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, I lived in the back seat of my pickup for almost 3 months when I first moved down here.  Find a Wal Mart in a decent area and see if they let people camp in the parking lot.  People always talk shit on Wal Mart, but it's company policy to allow camping on their property, which is pretty cool.  You have to check out each store, though, 'cause there are some shopping center owners that don't allow it.

Sounds like you're making at least some money, so you might want to look into joining a cheap gym for bathroom/shower facilities.  That's how I got by and I was able to get in shape as a side benefit (didn't want to be some freak that only went to the gym to shower. :smile:)  Most gyms offer 10-day trial memberships for taking a tour, so you can probably get a few weeks of free showers that way.  Otherwise, washing up in the gas station bathroom will work for awhile.

Cheap food's harder to do in the car 'cause you can't just nuke up some ramen, but there's shelters and food banks you should be able to hit up every now and then.  Don't have too much advice for you on food 'cause I was still a fast food junkie even while living in the truck ($1 menu at Wendy's is a godsend.)

Whatever you do, keep your head up and try to have fun with it.  You hopefully won't have to live in a car again, but you'll have some experiences doing it that you wouldn't have had otherwise, so try to enjoy 'em.  I spent a lot of time hanging out in libraries and parks instead of sitting on the couch watching TV like I do now.

Good luck with however it turns out, man. :cool:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Invisibleswm
Stranger
Loc: Ohio
    #3364752 - 11/15/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I would like to thank all of you for the advice.This is pretty scary but I'll get by.I put in 3 applications today for places looking for part time work.Hopefully I'll get one,as for staying with friends or family I would rather live in my car I don't want to be a burden.I know they would let me but it would be because they felt obligated to.

--------------------
I can't spell and I have poor grammar.The crap I just posted is proof enough.

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#3364858 - 11/15/04 05:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

But that's what friends are for. You wouldn't be a burden. Friends are there for you thru thick and thin. I understand how you're feeling tho. I have a lot of pride and it takes hitting rock bottom before I will ask for help, and even then, it's still difficult for me. But sometimes you have to. If they are your true friends, they won't think of you as being a burden and they would be more than happy to be given the chance to help out a friend.

At least, that's how I would feel if one of my friends needed my help. I would jump at the chance.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Global Living Space

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3365083 - 11/15/04 06:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, look at my posts and i made a nearly identical post about a month back, it might help you.

I stayed with my father for a while but thats not working out because i have to much pride to leech off of others. I eventually got a job at Northwestern illinois university doing biomedical engineering research but it still doesnt pay the bills. However, after 3 months of living in my car, im almost to the point where i can get an apartment (and just in time, try living outdoors during a chicago winter). Now i will be working towards my PhD. I just hope that all the wealthy people who recieve non-infective metal implants realize that i was one of the people who saved thier lives and recieved next to nothing for it.

We need to work extra hard just to get by as opposed to the people who came from a better background. The best advice i can give is to just accept it and work hard to achieve what you want to achieve, then say "fuck you" to all those who think they are better than you.

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: Catalysis]
    #3366241 - 11/15/04 10:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I find sleeping a car is much easier (especially if you're sitting in the drivers seat) if you park straight up on an incline. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about being a burden to other people. If I had my own place I wouldn't let my friends live in their car unless they really wanted to for some reason. If you do end up living out of your car, good luck and stay warm!

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Anonymous #1

#3366326 - 11/15/04 10:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

$450 a month is an insane amount to pay for a single bedroom apartment.

40 X $5.15 X 4 = $824 per month

what are your other expenses?

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: ]
    #3366376 - 11/15/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

In the entire chicago metro area, you are lucky to get a decent studio for less than $600/mo. Including gas and food, you cant get by on minimum wage.

Anonymous #1

Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: Catalysis]
    #3366413 - 11/15/04 11:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

shit. i thought it was bad here... another reason not to live in chicago.

Offlinebigslick
science fictionwriter

Loc: just behind you
    #3369671 - 11/16/04 06:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hey you could possibly sell your plasma for a few extra bucks a month. I did it when I was going to college lol

--------------------

Everything I write is a total work of fiction

Anonymous #1

Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: bigslick]
    #3369998 - 11/16/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

same here. $200 a month.  :moneyeyes:

swm... try typing "frugal living" into a search engine. you'll find a lot of sites with some good tips. you'd be amazed at how cheaply you can feed yourself if you're willing. you can survive on less than a dollar a day for food.

Offlinewo_serotonin
Stranger

#3377555 - 11/18/04 04:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

In all honesty try to get a second job delivering pizzas. Gas is normally refunded to you. For daily spending you got your tips and for rent save the checks. Not to mention the fact that in some establishments you making yourself a meal is free or discounted. I'm just throwing this out there because when I was really short on cash I got a second job driving and it made my expenses seem a lot smaller.

Good luck with the next couple of months.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3377586 - 11/18/04 04:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

$450 a month is quite low (or non-existent) in most large urban areas...

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3377588 - 11/18/04 04:45 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

what city do you live in? if you live in a big city, chances are there are squatter communities...

Invisibledr_gonz
Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: Vvellum]
    #3377599 - 11/18/04 04:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Damn, where can I get $200 bones a month selling plasma??

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3377637 - 11/18/04 05:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

he means your plasma TV, hehehe.

seriously though, it is easy to save money if you stop buying expensive shit all the time. Food is an important thing not to waste money on. But it is hard to find the right food! Kraft will feed you legalized, awareness dulling poison, a.k.a. simple sugars and starches with no complex protein at all. Do you have a PCC nearby? Most of their packaged products and ready made stuff are overpriced but you can buy organic ingredients for cheap. Look for the wall lined with food bins...

Also don't buy drugs, and don't accept any addictive ones from friends that you might be tempted to waste precious money on.

Have you considered living in your car? Do you know a former hippie willing to part with his old 'bus?

I know it sucks not having anywhere to go when you are on your own, but never underestimate the compassion of other human beings. Talk to all your friends and see what your options are. It is good that you are using the shroomery to ask advice, but we don't know you or your complex situation, and that limits the advice we can give you to general statements.

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

Re: I'am going to be homeless in about 10 days.I need advice... [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3380842 - 11/18/04 07:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SWEDEN said:
Have you considered living in your car?

In his initial post, he said he would be living in his car. Also, he's looking for ways to keep warm and feed himself for cheap.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being