Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Considering dropping out
    #3357856 - 11/13/04 10:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm a Senior in college, though I'm behind on credits and thus unlikely to graduate on time, majoring in Sociology, which I have no intention of pursuing as a career. I've been toughing it out these past 4 years, trying to earn a degree so I can get out there into the "real world." I just came to the realization that I'm really unhappy with what I'm doing right now. I keep telling myself to keep at it until I graduate, and that it's just a little bit further, but the fact that I'm holding out for the future has made me increasingly apathetic towards my schoolwork. I don't know how much longer I can deal with this. I want out.

The problem is that I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a job. The whole idea behind me going to college was so I'd have more job options available to me when I got out, but I don't know what the hell I want to do, whether I graduate or not. I'm not really all that particular about what kind of job I get. I just want something that will allow me to support myself and allow enough free time for me to pursue my music on the side. I don't really care much about being wealthy, just secure and independent.

I'm also worried about how I'm going to break this to my parents. They're the ones who've been paying my tuition, room & board, and various other expenses this whole time, so it'll be pretty difficult telling them that their money is going to waste. They're pretty understanding, so they'll probably get over it, but it's still going to be an ordeal for me.

Basically, I need to figure out a plan. I don't want to jump out of this plane without a parachute. My parents have told me that they have $30,000 in stocks that they're planning on transferring over to my name eventually, so that will give me a foundation to get started and maybe buy a house, but I'm still going to have to figure out what I'm going to do for a living. I'm not in very good physical condition, so manual labor probably isn't my best bet, though I'm certainly not going to rule out the possibility. What kind of jobs are available for a college dropout that would give me at least a fair amount of financial independence(I'm sure my parents would be willing to pitch in a little here and there, but I don't want to be nearly as dependent on them as I am now)? Is this even a good idea? Should I just suck it up and deal with school for another year? I don't know what to do.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Considering dropping out [Re: silversoul7]
    #3358154 - 11/14/04 12:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Degrees are good to have no matter what you do. You have put in so much time and effort so far you had aught to see it through to its completion. You don't want the time and money to go to waste. I know it's tough, but time flies by fast.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3358781 - 11/14/04 03:27 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

so if you don't graduate this year you have to be another year in school? I'd say just go for it. if you don't finish school you're probably regret it later + what devided sky said :thumbup:

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3358797 - 11/14/04 03:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

man, you drop out now and sooner or later you are gonna regret it, and wish you hadnt. then youll think about going back, which gets very hard to do once you stop going. ive been doing college off and on since highschool, i should be at least a senior by now, but as many times as ive quit and come back i still only got 2 yrs worth of credits. now im playing catch up, and watching all my goals and ambitions get that much further away from my grasp, all because i coulndt hack it. trust me, you only got one more year....tough it out man, you will regret it later. and just like they said earlier, a degree is good no matter what you decide to do. even if you decide to do something completly opposite of what your degree is for, it looks really nice on a resume....finish school man

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #3358807 - 11/14/04 03:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I can't really tell you what do do man, only yoiu know what you're going through. I guess this is a bit off topic but i noticed you mentioned that you're not in very good shape. Totally apart from that disqualifying you from any kind of manual labour it will prove to be a health laibility when you get older. Take heart: When i was @ your age i was in really shitty condition, now at 50 i'm in GR8 shape. It isn't as hard as you may think to get yourself in some semblance of physical condition and there are plenty of people here in this forum that have given some GR8 advice on excercise and nutrition, i hope for your sake you take heed as your body will thank you many times over if you take the time to look after and maintain it right, good luck no matter what you decide to do with your skooling in any case

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
    #3358825 - 11/14/04 04:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Dude Silver as much as I use to fight with you I am telling you that you will regret it big time if you drop out now. I dropped out 5 years ago after just starting my senior year. So I went to work for my uncle and made good money but I always felt like something was missing. I realized a couple of years later that I had become depressed over the fact that I had dropped outta college. Graduating college had been one of my goals. I graduated last year but at 26 it wasn't real easy. Employers don't look at what your degree says, they just want to know that you have one. All a degree really means is, "Hey I can complete something." Sit down and really think about it before you decide to make that choice because its a long road back.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Considering dropping out [Re: Meat_Log_Smurf]
    #3358830 - 11/14/04 04:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ya, you guys are right. I was really stressing about nothing. I'm going to make it. Things are going to be ok.

--------------------

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3358833 - 11/14/04 04:16 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thats the spirit...

i know shit can get tough, and thats why im still struggling to finish my general ed classes.....plus im a procrastinator from hell....youll be fine man. get your degree, the rest will fall into place.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3359552 - 11/14/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

fuck dude - I'm guessing you come from money, no? Lemme put it this way for you - "toughing it out" in school is by far a better situation that "toughing it out" working in some crap warehouse everyday only to live from paycheck to paycheck.

Quote:

What kind of jobs are available for a college dropout that would give me at least a fair amount of financial independence(I'm sure my parents would be willing to pitch in a little here and there, but I don't want to be nearly as dependent on them as I am now)?

Umm, have you never worked before? Let's consider the options: warehouses, dish washing, construction, pizza delivery, etc.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Considering dropping out [Re: Vvellum]
    #3359597 - 11/14/04 11:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Dish washing sucks! Get a degree.

Another thing you might consider is the college atmosphere. When you are at school you are surrounded by alot of people your age who aren't working to survive. Out in the real world you can't party as much, it's harder to make freinds, and you don't have an excuse to use drugs. :grin:
I'm not exactly sure what your situation is like up there, but I'm like 7 months out of school and I'm always thinking about how I'd like to go back and hang out with my old freinds.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Considering dropping out [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3359687 - 11/14/04 12:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dish washing sucks! Get a degree.

Another thing you might consider is the college atmosphere. When you are at school you are surrounded by alot of people your age who aren't working to survive. Out in the real world you can't party as much, it's harder to make freinds, and you don't have an excuse to use drugs.
I'm not exactly sure what your situation is like up there, but I'm like 7 months out of school and I'm always thinking about how I'd like to go back and hang out with my old freinds.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

:thumbup:

I'm thinking of going back to earn a masters - the real world sucks.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Considering dropping out [Re: Vvellum]
    #3359839 - 11/14/04 12:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

amen to that sister.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Considering dropping out [Re: Todcasil]
    #3359897 - 11/14/04 12:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

booya grandma

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Considering dropping out [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3360194 - 11/14/04 02:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I realize the college atmosphere is better than the real world, but I'm trying to keep in mind the fact that my parents are paying for it, so I don't want to burden them by staying here an extra long time, but it looks like I might have to, especially if I don't pass all my classes this semester.

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3361186 - 11/14/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you're not passing your classes, drop out. If you cared two shits, you'd pass.

I dropped out of college for a while, and my only real regret is going back to finish.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: Considering dropping out [Re: phi1618]
    #3361214 - 11/14/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, my parents have gotten on my case about the degree thing, but it's annoy especially because they both got degrees but ended up not using them.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineNuperSova
Stranger
Re: Considering dropping out [Re: Society]
    #3361593 - 11/14/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I say tough it out. I'm a senior as well and I get like that too sometime. If you graduate and don't know what to do, maybe you can teach. I got an email through my school from www.teachforamerica.org and if I don't get a job in my field 'relatively' soon after graduation, I'm thinking about doing it. I think you need a 2.5, and majors like yours are really popular. Just passing along.

Chryss

--------------------
I Refuse To Say I'm Lost Just Because I Don't Know Where I Am

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3361757 - 11/14/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

College is bullshit. I have a masters in biomedical engineering and i can barely get by. Any intelligent person can make a great living if they are just willing to work at it. Now that i have gone to college, i am 20k+ in debt and currently going through bankrupcy proceedings. The sad part is that if i just found a good job and started right out of highschool, id be much better off.

I just hate when everyone is like "oh college is the best thing you can do, you wont regret it, trust me", just because its what you are "supposed to do". Half these people never went to college and they think they would be better off, the other half went to college and dont realize that they could be just as well off if they didnt.

And as for things you can do without a degree...Computer networking is the fastest growing industry and, if you are smart and willing to start out small, you can do that without a degree. You can try to get into management by starting as an assistant manager somewhere and, with hard work, you will soon be doing better than the dipshits who think they can just go get an MBA and be successful

Quote:

Yes, my parents have gotten on my case about the degree thing, but it's annoy especially because they both got degrees but ended up not using them.

I know so many people who never used thier degree but dont care because they didnt have to pay for it...then these people turn around and tell impressionable youth that college would be best for them when they know its simply not true. Its just become taboo in our society to suggest that someone can educate themselves without being processed through an institution.

Edited by Catalysis (11/14/04 08:58 PM)

OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Loc: United States of America ...
    #3361969 - 11/14/04 09:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you attend college but don't strive to be at the top of your class, then your not justifying your reason for attending. You have to want to be the best or atleast give your best to learn and succeed in the 'college world', for only then will have the experience be able to succeed in the 'real world'. Otherwise, you'll fail the 'real world' in the same sense that you fail the 'college world'.

YOU WANT THE TRUTH SS7? I'LL WRITE IT: Either strive to beat the program or abort it by any means nessessary.

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Freedom Equality Justice (3 of 12 Jewels of Life)

Nov.11th Veterans Ron Paul Moneybomb...www.Ronpaul2012.com

Check out campaignforliberty.com

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Considering dropping out [Re: Mojo_Risin]
    #3362161 - 11/14/04 10:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That's actually really good advice. I've been slowly, poorly working my way through Georgia Tech, constantly pondering why I'm here, not worrying about doing my best.

But that doesn't seem like a very good idea. I think a major change is more important at the moment.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder