Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Neti Pot and Pranya Ama
    #3359813 - 11/14/04 02:25 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

My yoga instructor gave me a Neti Pot as a gift recently to help with my breathing (pranya) exercises. This is basically an Aladdins lamp looking ceramic pot that you fill with saline. You pour it in one nostril and the liquid fills your sinus cavities and drains out the other nostril. I have never had the experience of having clean nasal passages until I tried this. I do one "pot" through each nostril every morning in the shower, then one through each nostril as needed through out the day, and one through each nostril in the evening in the shower.

This starts your day off thinking about breath-work as well as having clean sinuses. I so enjoy the feeling of breathing in through my nose and not hearing snot rattle around that I make sure to spend extra time each morning just deep breathing. I feel that this oxygenates my blood to a degree that my entire day is 'lifted' from it.

Also, pranya ama. This is the practise of expelling snot and oxygenating your blood through short forceful breaths through your nose. I don't want to instruct anyone on how to do it and get the directions wrong but I'm sure a yoga teacher would be happy to show you for free. I really think that these two actions in the morning lead to a more enlightened day.

Wishing you all the very best in health...

SOOPA

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHBS
Male

Re: Neti Pot and Pranya Ama [Re: SoopaX]
    #5062501 - 12/14/05 03:25 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

the 'neti pot' sounds like a truly interesting idea ... i do expel my phlegm on a VERY regular basis through something similar to pranya ama ... i call it 'making funny snorting sounds while holding down one nostril and blowing until funny looking off-color yellow stuff shoots on out of the other nostril'

:wink:

deep breathing IS essential to a healthy day, as deep, uninterrupted breathing is another sign that you are mentally calm and physically balanced ... kind of like deep sleep ... both are easily interrupted by stress ... but both can also overcome stress with practice and patience ... it goes both ways ...

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Neti Pot and Pranya Ama [Re: HB]
    #5062637 - 12/14/05 03:53 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

edit: this thread is a year old! oh well.

i usually can't even breathe through my nose... i don't mind if you botch the pranya ama instructions....... i'd like to hear them.

I do have a yoga teacher to ask though, but I won't see her for a few weeks. Well, I might see her this week if I happen to run into her. I dunno.

plus a google search seems rather inconclusive, and brings this thread up, curiously.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (12/14/05 03:55 PM)

OfflineHBS
Male

Re: Neti Pot and Pranya Ama [Re: leery11]
    #5062673 - 12/14/05 03:59 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

my bad :wink: either way, it's never a bad idea to try and improve circulation in the body ... and there's a million different ways to ...

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#5062913 - 12/14/05 04:46 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

You take two showers a day? You must be one clean guy! That, or you sweat or roll in dirt much more than average.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #5065992 - 12/15/05 08:27 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

This actually sounds useful to me.

I've spent my whole life with a fear of water in my nasal cavity... like my sinuses are particular sensitive to irritation or something, so it just hurts a lot if I get any water up my nose at all.

perhaps I should try this, as saline must be less painful and yet still very... wet...

Did I mention I also suffer from pretty chronic nasal congestion?

It seems the combination of smoking/vaporizing for 3-4 years, wisdom teeth growing in funny, and not being able to cough very forcefully due to my frail build has led to a pretty constant upper nasal cavity congestion. It could also be GERD letting stomach acid in there at night.

My congestion can get so bad that it blocks off my ear canals internally. I walk around feeling like my inner ear is completely disconnected from my body... makes me really prone to dizziness, especially in moving vehicles and such.

Question... how do you breathe while doing this? or do you hold your breath?

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Neti Pot and Pranya Ama [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #5067124 - 12/15/05 02:51 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
My congestion can get so bad that it blocks off my ear canals internally. I walk around feeling like my inner ear is completely disconnected from my body... makes me really prone to dizziness, especially in moving vehicles and such.

Question... how do you breathe while doing this? or do you hold your breath?

I feel you on that one man, but for me it DESTROYS my hearing. I've felt that way for years, then one day it randomly cleared up and my hearing improved twofold, but then it went back.

Now I don't even know if my ears are clogged or its just in my head.... I've been to an ENT and even had some sort of cat-scan done... they said I had a real small pollyp in one but nothing that should cause problems.... and that the culprit might be TMJ (problems with my jaw!)

i often feel like my ears need to pop, but popping them 40 or so times does nothing. I pop them at will by moving my mouth in certain ways or by swallowing.

I dunno.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Neti Pot and Pranya Ama [Re: leery11]
    #5067159 - 12/15/05 03:01 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I feel your pain man... it doesn't affect my hearing quite as much as it seems to affect yours, but I do notice a definite difference.

I also have jaw problems, most likely due to wisdom teeth crowding my jaw severely... I need to have them removed. I'm hoping that their removal will help various other conditions, including the sinus build up problem. (The pressure they put on my soft palette seems to keep me from swallowing properly...)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being