Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
My futile foray, maybe!
    #3357406 - 11/13/04 08:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well I took the directions up canary like ur friend said MJ,...lets just say I ended the day with blisters, soaked leather shoes, and half soaked pants lol.  My bad on that part though.  I found 2 mushrooms half way thru..which was a brilliant discovery, seeing as i hadnt seen ANY mushrooms..anywhere. walked thru about 2 miles of farm fields, with manure and without.

I took a lot of pics but for now will only post two. on my last stop, i found another handful, 10-15 of the same two i found from a field about 3 miles back down the road. I believe them to be pan camps, but I could easily be wrong, I know they are pan for sure though. Print is jet black, if pic is required ill load, but I doubt it will be. These also sparkle slightly, like there are tiny specks of glitter on the caps if you turn them slowly.

I read on lycaeum (sp) site that camps are active. But I read from old shroomery posts of MJ and other notable names that they are not...anywho, the pics :smile:

One of the clusters I found

a large detailed pic, sorry bout the size, wanted all detail shown tho

Like I said I have many more pics, including shots of most the pastures/fields up canary that I was brave enough to raid. Prob will post some links later =_)

Thanks for any help! ~D  :grin:

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Re: My futile foray, maybe! [Re: Majestic]
    #3357416 - 11/13/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Nice manicure.

Inactive, pan paps (Panaeolus papilionaceus).

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3357533 - 11/13/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with the inactive Pan ID. The jet black print lets ya know that it's a Pan for sure. You're in the right area if you're looking for Libs though.

As far as activity of Pans goes, it's a big toss up in my opinion. I've read that they are active, or aren't active. I've heard they made a mistake on IDs when doing the psilocybin analysis. In other books I read said that it might have something to do with region and individual specimens. Who knows if they're active or not...  :confused: :smirk:

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Re: My futile foray, maybe! [Re: Gumby]
    #3357809 - 11/13/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I find those things all them time when lib hunting.

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Re: My futile foray, maybe! [Re: vc77]
    #3357866 - 11/13/04 10:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

=( darn...pan paps..lol. Well now that we have decided that, there arent any poisonous pans are there? I know some can cause irritated bowels/throwing up ect...main point being, if these are possibly active would it be ultimately safe to try? or are these 100% non...i havent searched the web yet at all, I was thinking camps but im not familiar with paps and my audobon book doesnt even list them, too old id assume. ya im sure im looking in the right area, i know the area well(not for mushrooms) and MJ's friend suggest it from previous hunts.

What am I doing wrong, I searched fields with dung and w/o. Searched around the larger tufts of grass(crab grass, cant remember?) I was very precise in my focus and detail in looking...it just rained all last nite, the fields were nice and moist..I'd estimate I walked 3 miles with my nose to the ground. So far I know im in fields that spawn libs, checked fields with and without livestock/horses..and was told I can find libs up till like jan around here...so what gives =( any of you eugene or salem people finding these currently? I might try up the north fork, just like canary but about 4 times as long with prob 3 times more fields.

Thanks for any input, I'm at a lost this season so far hehe...no cyans, no libs..no azures..and i dont know what other actives grow on the oregon coast, but I doubt imma find them :P spose ill have another 9 or 10 months to research for next season =\ ~D

--------------------

_\ -/_

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

#3358624 - 11/14/04 02:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm, I looked for many other pics of pan paps and, although most look similar..some look entirely different.  ive read a lot bout a complex of camps/sphincts/paps and another type that are so difficult to tell apart through dif stages of growth.

Apparently 'pnwcyans' found the same mushroom today as me, the one that was double posted and locked by gumby I believe. At least I'd say they are the same, and MJ identified his as a Panaeolus sphinctrinus.  If you look real close at the lowest middle small mushroom in my cluster pic, you'll notice the teethlike flaying of whitish flesh on the edge of cap(margin?):

Notice the identical appearance on pwncyans pic that MJ identified as sphinct:

The paps on this post look...nothing like my find:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post3357051

After staring at some of the caps im printing(gonna try and cultivate these to experiment with before i buy some cubes to grow,..wrong area but short Q, should most pan species grow fine in the PF tek?) I just noticed that a couple of the caps look different..i dont know if this due to drying out or maybe i found two pans mixed growing side by side? this possible? I'm going to upload the pic from cam right now..

3 caps:

Middle one seems to be a different species of pan, it is not a dried out version, even the dried out ones of the left and right type stay plastic like/waxy/completely smooth. The middle one seems to have tiny ridges and pits in a fibrous pattern. Above Pic shows this well...

Print if anyone cared to know, I know they pan so i doubt it will help:

Well I spose overall I just want some general info on pans if possible, i started this post over 2 hours ago, had to get offline, so more ppl might have posted..but -

Is there a chance these pans are active? How many pans are there and how many are active?
Do these commonly grow in the same areas that I should be finding libs, it seems about right =\?
If I chose (90% will not) to eat some of these, are the worst adverse effects ill face vomitting/cramps/diahhrea?

Sorry for such extensive questioning/documenting...more or less its better for me to be wrong cause I've seemed to learn more when I am :laugh: thanks for all the help guys,
~D :bow:

--------------------

_\ -/_

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3358687 - 11/14/04 02:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

As far as IDing Panaeolus goes, I'm convinced that it's impossible to ID them down to a species without a microscope. There's so many different species of Pans that all macroscopicly resemble each other. I'm not sure how many species are in the genus, but my guess is around 30-50.

As far as eating Panaeolus goes, there are no KNOWN dangerously poisonous Panaeolus. That doesn't mean that there aren't some that could be fairly toxic. Not all species of mushrooms have been discovered yet, much less tested for toxicology.

As you already know, Pans are pretty harsh on the stomach, regardless of if they're active or not. I've eaten my fair share of inactive Pans out of curiosity, and the only real problem I had was diarrhea.

Since you know the risks of eating mushrooms that aren't 100% identified, I'll leave that decision up to you. Because we're sure these mushrooms are in the Panaeolus genus, there shouldn't be any problems, but you never know if the mushrooms have concentrated some toxin in their substrate.

That said, most Panaeolus tend to be weak compaired to other active mushrooms. You'd probably need around 4-5g dry to feel much of anything.

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

#3358733 - 11/14/04 02:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ya Im in complete agreement with ya gumby..they are already in the trash anywho =P...just gonna use the spores as a test for cultivating.  Not really after a high from these right now anywho, just searching to learn/familiarize..i figure if i learn all the mushrooms that *aren't* actives in my area..or at least a large amount, odds are eventually I'll have to run into some actives.  :crazy: right...right? lol...=\

--------------------

_\ -/_

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

#3358735 - 11/14/04 02:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ahh yes, the elusive mushroom.

Keep looking man, they can hide, but they cant run.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3358742 - 11/14/04 03:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>i figure if i learn all the mushrooms that *aren't* actives in my area..or at least a large amount, odds are eventually I'll have to run into some actives.  right...right? lol...=\

I guess that's one way to look at it. It might take you a few years to just "run into" actives. If you know the habitat of the mushrooms you're looking for, you're bound to find them some day :smile:

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Re: My futile foray, maybe! [Re: vc77]
    #3358745 - 11/14/04 03:04 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Are you sure ;( im starting to contimplate if these lil fckrs have legs :cuckoo:

--------------------

_\ -/_

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

#3358752 - 11/14/04 03:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

that's the thing...id like to think I'm fairly familiar with azures, cyans and libs now..although i will admit i haven't checked into the other actives that might grow on the Oregon coast.  But I'm patient, and I remember after my first 2 years of matsutake hunting I didn't find much point in going out.  I'm still utterly amazed by people who have been doing this for 3 decades and manage to pull in close to 100lbs of pines in a day sometimes. Any who tho, ya...I'm sure I'll persevere... :smile:

--------------------

_\ -/_

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds