Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Fully white after 7 days of incubation
    #3356370 - 11/13/04 05:41 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

I want to talk about jars that are started(with either spores or Karo etc) and are FINSHED, in 7 days (from the time you see white, until its time for spawning , casings ...whatever.

I have done this before, but its hit and miss.(more miss then hit sadly)

For the past couple of years I have used a heat pad, and while I have always been on the lookout for something cool to make a bigger and better fruiting chamber, up until recently I didnt think about my jars as much.

The heat pad was placed under the jars , inside a rubbermaid tub, and while this worked, the heating is uneven, the jars being on top wastes heat, and it drys out the substrate etc etc.

Recently I have switched to a heat pad used to seperate the jars , and with the heatpad running down the middle of the tub I get much more stable temps.

TODAY , I picked up a 200watt submersible fish tank heater, I plan to poke this in the side of a tub and either lower another tub into that........OR........ suspend the fish tank heater,in a blackened aquaium, and have my jars sit right in the water(while keeping the tops above the water..........the RH would be nice and high, and with a little H2O2 it would stay nice and clean)
(Even if I do a tub-in-tub, I want to put a small glass of water or something in there to raise the RH)

What do you guys think????

How do you get that 7 day standard??????

I have tubs, a small aquarium, a 200watt heater, and a strong desire to raise whole herds of jars, any ideas or tips folks???

What works for you, what doesnt,cost, space, etc.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3356500 - 11/13/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

BUMP

--------------------

Offlinejuende
feministpresence

#3356634 - 11/13/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

i'm trying to figure this [or refigure ] i've seen jars completely colonizie in 8-13 days using a heating pad.
jars were put in a plastic bin and then put in side a nother larger one. the heating pad was set on top of the bin with the jars in side. it seemed to work perfectly. but that was only one try and could be the strain or substrate that made a difference.

but i would also like to see a effective way of incubating with a heating pad to get good results.

not ever one can use the tit for some reasons...

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: juende]
    #3356658 - 11/13/04 06:56 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Heatpads "work" but they suck(they are uneven and cause to much drying etc)

I am trying to build the perfect incubator, wether it will be a tub-intub, or a sea of jars :wink:, only time will tell.

Anyone else want to stab at my first post??

--------------------

Offlinejuende
feministpresence

#3356723 - 11/13/04 07:14 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

"Heatpads "work" but they suck(they are uneven and cause to much drying etc)"

yeah this is very true. that is why direct contact between the jars and heating pad will lead to it sucking. [and why TiT works well.]

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3356788 - 11/13/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

the "BEST" incubator??

--------------------

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3357057 - 11/13/04 08:35 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

go with a TNT i use one and it gets most of my jars done in about 8 days but also your never gonna have a standard it'll always differ each time because of the smallest difference in it and the last jar you made. with a TNT though you should be able to have semi close fully colonization times better than any other incubator i think. but that's just my opinion and that's coming from someone who has never used another kind of incubator also.

Offlinethenewuser
LSA Guy :-)

Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: KyKid]
    #3357064 - 11/13/04 08:36 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I used a tub in tub. i think I hit close to 7 days w/ 8 jars of Z strain.

--------------------
Please read my DXM & LSA Guides, here.

If your like MMORPG's, then click here and here!

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: KyKid]
    #3357470 - 11/13/04 10:49 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Sounds good, and thanks for your experience with the TinT.

I just want an incubator that is even, and gives my jars the conditions for explosive mycelium growth.........a heatpad just aint cutting it anymore.

MESSAGE TO NEWBIE's, ...........use a heatpad if thats all you have, but think about gettig something else a.s.a.p. , as heatpads suck(IMO)

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3357814 - 11/14/04 12:17 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Temp is important, nice and even from the likes of a Tub in Tub is important. Using mycelium, be it liquid or grain to grain is a good shortcut. When dealing with PF Tek, alot has to do with the size verm you pick and how loosely you pack it. Overall from all I've seen the biggest factor (temps being good) is water content. If this is off or thrown off by injecting to many spores or to much liquid myc this will definatly mess up your colonization time..every cc over proper content will slow you down..every cc under as well. Strain also plays a small factor. Biggest shortcut is definatly grain to grain. G2G almost every jar I've ever done has been under 7 days even using a very small amount of spawn per jar its like 100ccs of liquid culture without the water.

This is just what I've found I havnt concentrated on it to much because it takes 5-6 weeks to fruit the substrate and about a week and a half to colonize jars using liquid cultures, case them and let the casing layer colonize to the point its ready to be fruited so I've enver really found a reason to try and increase colonization any more...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3357899 - 11/14/04 12:43 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I think you are probably referring to grains, no? If so, temp should be the key. And don't forget to shake.

For PF cakes, though, temp and packing is important, or more like not packing..

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: Sam1912]
    #3357951 - 11/14/04 01:04 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Whos talking about grains? I thought the poster didnt mention which so I talked about both. Temp is always a key but I think water content in grains is the biggest key. In PF Tek (keeping in mind I havnt done it only read advice of many who have) I would think packing and water content would be the important factors (assuming temp is fine).

Temp is definatly a very important factor and can increase colonization time more then an improper water content however temp is very easy to get...80-86 and you'll be close enough that it wont matter much. Water content however comes only with experience. You need to get the water content (and in PF tek, packing) just perfect for colnizing and fruiting and then repeat that everytime..you may get it your first time, it may take you a few or many many tries to get it just right..I definatly think while it may not be the most important (since temp affects it more) water content is the most overlooked factor for playing the huge roll that it does.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3357992 - 11/14/04 01:21 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Tank heater in tub gets pretty messy.  Thats what I used at first but once I switched to TNT it is way better.  Like scatman said, water content inside your jars are the most important factors for fast colonization not an uneven 2 degrees in your incubator.  Too watery jars can up your colonization time up to like 15 or 20 days or cause them to not colonize fully at all :frown: 

I've started to go away from using liquid culture b/c it has a tendancy to water down my jars.  G2G is easiest to control....

I don't undersatnd why your so worried about RH in you incubator in the first place the jars shouldn't be drying out in the Incubator if you have lids on 'em...

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3358873 - 11/14/04 07:03 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

With PF jars I dont use the dry layer of verm - just the tyvek filter and a sticky plaster on top of the jar. I stick the needle in the top through one hole and spray the entire inside of the jar in a circular motion with about 3-4cc spore solution, then rotate the jars on it sides to distribute the soln. I've found that where other inhibitory factors (contams etc) are absent, these jars colonised extremely fast after germination. I don't know exactly how fast though probably not 7 days.. I don't really keep tabs on it.

Also the water content I agree is very important. I make the substrate as per PF tek and its always a bit wet, so I add vermiculite until it is almost 'crumbly', holds its shape and doesnt slop at all. Plenty of air space in the jars without packing, so the myc doesnt have to fight its way through the stuff.

--------------------

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: Hambo]
    #3359039 - 11/14/04 09:22 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

This is just a standard TiT, follow the teks and oyull have success. It isnt rocket science.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3359074 - 11/14/04 09:45 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

i can hit 5 days with g2g so im sure its very possibe with Karo tek to do 7 days

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: phantasm]
    #3359154 - 11/14/04 10:56 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

my first time with WBS... i achieved full colonisation in 7 days. All i did was shake very well after PCing, shake very well after the inoculation, and when it was 2-=30% colonised i shaked again. No G2G,no karo,just a spore syringe. Even though it was pan cyans,not cubes. (well maybe pans are a little faster,dunno) check it there:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...0&fpart=all

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Fully white after 7 days of incubation [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3434018 - 12/01/04 07:33 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I made something LIKE a tub in tub(sorta)

MY jars are held in place by wires, and the little bit of natural bouncy the air inside provides.

I am using a little fish tank covered in garbage bags, and I know that sounds getto but it looks real slick.........for a fish tank covered in garbage bags :wink:

I found a sheet of glass to go over top to, so its light tight, and my jars seem to love the high RH, and I will agree that the biggest factor in quick growth is water content.

wet sticky jars are HELL, the mycelium seems to have a hard time colinizing it, if you have been soaking your WBS etc for 2 days, .....just throw it out, your wasting your time.

I will try to get some pics of my setup soon.

but basically its something like this........

--------------------------Glass lid------------------------------------
--------------------------top of the aquarium--------------------------

[Jar lids above the water]            [Jar lids]  [Jar lids]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~water line~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[more then 3/4th's of each jar is below the water line]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottom of aquarium.

And of course the fish tank heater is in there to, keeping everything a nice fuzzy 85F :grin:

I keep the water as low as possible, without putting the heater in danger, so that the jars have room to breath, but since the chamber is not air tight, I dont am not really worried about suffocation.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation