Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
?copyright by Paul Stamets..take a look.
    #3350093 - 11/12/04 03:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I was browsing google links when I came across this page of Paul's:
http://www.fungi.com/info/gallery/gallery2.html

The first picture looked so familiar I could have sworn I'd seen it somewhere else...like my 1988 Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms. Well I had, in my 1988 book lol.

At first I thought it was really funny, after reading:

"All images are the sole property of Paul Stamets, all rights reserved. Do not duplicate or distribute without written permission. Thanks!"

Then I thought bout it and realized Paul's been doing this stuff for quite a while so there was a chance he was the original photographer. Can anyone validate/invalidate this?

Pic out of my book:

~D

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: ?copyright by Paul Stamets..take a look. [Re: Majestic]
    #3350136 - 11/12/04 03:24 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

probably paul's image which he liscenced to the field guide...

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #3350186 - 11/12/04 04:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Check page 892 of the field guide...

Images 84 and 86 are courtesy of Paul Stamets...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3350443 - 11/12/04 06:57 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Sad about the baeocystis image. They actually colored the shroom blue because they did not have a bluing mushroom at the time.

Paul is sticky about copyright. Last year a kid here at the shroomery posted some SEM photos which he claimed his friend took. Some were Paul Stamet's pictures. Paul was pissed. I informed the kid they were Paul's images. He immediately claimed his friend made a mistake and thought they were his pictures.

Any photographer knows what pictures he took. Anyway the kid called Paul up at his Fungi Perfecti phone number and said Paul was not mad and it was an honest mistake and they were good friends.

So I called Paul up and he admitted someone called him about the images but he did not know the person who did it or called.

The kid reversed the images horizonally so they would not be recognised.
And he never returned to post at the shrooemry again.. At least not under the name he posted the iamges.

Also that image of the baeo was also in a couple of other books. Two of Pauls images are in my MMPNW book with paul's permission.

The Lincoff book is not that great. There is no order for the images and many are off color from a bad print job.

mj

He also made the name Blue foot for stuntzii's up for lack of a better name.

Andy Weil refferred to them as Washington blue veils, a term no one else ever used to call them as they were blue ringers for years.

mj

A picture of paul stamets at a vert young age.

mj

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
Re: ?copyright by Paul Stamets..take a look. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3352197 - 11/12/04 02:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks MJ, I was expecting you to know hehe. Silly me, I should have figured there would have been a Picture credit in the book somewhere, I was just sleepy and thought I'd post for info. Are these the same mushrooms you talked bout near the Bon many years ago MJ?

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3353493 - 11/12/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The boue ringer patch is the one Gartz and i came upon in 1992 at the bon at the valley river shopping center. Of course the shrooms were gone within a few years. I lived in hawaii and Gartz went back to germany.

He was paid to pay me to take him shrooming in Oregon and Washington for 21 days. I got quite a big slice fromt he german Scientific Foundation of Leipzig for that trip and we went all over, saw Gary Menser in Eugene, although we went to his house in Florence. He is dead now but his book is still a good guide. Only a few errors.

mj

jHave a shroomy day

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ?copyright by Paul Stamets..take a look. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3353822 - 11/12/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hahaha... So was Paul a hippie when he was younger, MJ? Would you have considered yourself a hippie back in the day?

Not trying to poke fun or anything, I just like to hear stories about back in the day. Did you go to the first Woodstock?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: ?copyright by Paul Stamets..take a look. [Re: Gumby]
    #3354167 - 11/12/04 11:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

[note from mj]
I just edited this and added a little more information to the time lobe.

Actually I managed a coffee house (the Fifth Estate) in Los Angeles a block and a half from Pandoras Box where the Beach Boys and The Doors use to play (They also often played at the Whiskey Ago-Go). My boss at the coffee shop was Al Mitchel. Art Kunkin began the L.A. Free Press in the basement of our coffee house. It became the 2nd underground newspaper in the U.S. following the San Francisco Oracle and the Berkeley Barb.

I worked every night from 8 till 6am in the morning. WOuld always here the John Sabastian song Six O'Clock about that time. ALso usually took home some nice girls every morning after closing.

We were opened all night so people came in and hung out. Dudes would play guitar and read poetry and chicks would make strands of beads to sell on the sidewalks of hip LA. That included the strip in Hollywood and down Fairfax to Santa Monica blvd by Foster"s Psychedelic Coffee Shop known as the Blue Lagoon. Foster was cool. He was the first black hippie I met who was cool like Hendricks. He wore a black wig which looked like Robert Wagners wifg worn int he movie Prince Valiant.

His coffe house was a place to rip on acid for hours and coffee swas a dinme a cup and free refills all day long.

You could also get cinnamon cider and smoke pot int he back of the coffee house. It was psychedelic painted from one end to the other, very paisely and colorful art decorated the wall and the ceilings and floor. Music blaiered and it was okay to play loud. I forst listened to Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone on my first joint with earphones. IT was so fuckin' awesome.

My first acid hit was at the LA Teenage fair in 1964. Two girls tuerned me on in t he back of their panel truck on acid and seduced me. Learned a lot that night.

My Boss at the Fifth Estate, Al Mitchel, was also a very close friennd to Derek Taylor. He was the Rolling Stones Road Manager.

Now it seemed that Derek was one of the organizers and promoters for the up and coming Monterey Pop-Festival. In fact some editions of the film, you can see me on the stage next to Mama Cass and David Crosby, and in front of the stage directly when the Who perform My Genration on some of the Monterey footage sometimes shown on PBS TV. .

Anyway, Al Mitchell gave me a letter of introduction to Derek Taylor and I received a press Pass to the whole festival.

So I actually went to Monterey with Flowers in my hair like the Scott MacKebnzuiwe song which was the opening number at the pop festival.
WEnt back to LA for one month adn my boss started the L. A. underground, a second newspaper which I sold on the street. I was given about 20 tickets for illegal sales on the curbs at Hollywood and Fairfax and in front of pandora's Box.

Funny thing was, the ACLU also had their first L.A. Office in t our coffee house to councel draft dodgers, and help the poor and desolate hippie type street people. Mama cass lived about four doors down the strip dfrom us.

Eventually over 500 tickets were issued to kids, including me, who sold thae newspapers ion street corners.

That is how i first met Timothy Leary. He drove up to me ont he corner to buy a copy of the L.A. Free press and the laters issue of the L.A. underground. Both anti-establishment papers. They used the word pigs ont he front page aon numerous ocassions.

The ACLU copnsiolidated all of the cases into one court date. Only about 25 of the people issued citations showed up for the court date. The Judge found us all guilty each on one count and fined us $25.00 a piece, which was paid by the ACLU.

What is really sad is that the judge said that qat 60th on Sunset was the deviding line for the county and city police.

|So he said it was legal to sell the papers their.

one week later, the county police came with signs saying it was illegal to stand inthe streets beyond this point. So then the county satrted to issue tickets after the Hollywood Police were told it was not illegal to sellt he papaers from the curbs, since the local papers were hawked by younger children to straight people and were never issued tickets.

Cops hated us.

After that shit I left Hollywood for San Francisco.

With me was a 17-year-old girl named Carol harris.

Funny thing is that her Father was the leading judge for drugs int he Beverly hills Juvenile Court District.

He actually had his 14-year-old daughter commited to an institution for 6 months when he found pot in the glove box of his car, left there by his daughter. Anyway, carol and I left and hitch-hiked north to SF.

We lasted two months and she went off with someone else. I once took her swimming at cl Glenn Ford's Home in Beverly Hills. His son Peter and I were good friends, having met at my uncles recording studio were I once worked for three years as an engineer..

As I noted above, this was in the summer of 1967. In Jan of 1969, I and my new girlfriend moved to Chicago for two years where my daughter Jennifer was born. I became involved in a used book store and within two months actually owned a small neighborhood store.

One day a janitor from the north Shore of the city came in and sold me three boxes of Golden-Age comics. I IT contain Superman 2-25, batman 2-50, Justice leagues, captain Marvel, and other golden age comics. I jouined a local comic club and got involved in underground comics and fanzines and the art which I describe at my site which led to my interst in psychedelia and psychedelic art. In 1973, I moved my family back to Porland after selling 60,000 comics which all originated from those three boxes of golden age comics I bought in the fall of 1970. I should take a moment to mention that every comic in those boxes were sstamped "property of Nicky Hilton the 3rd."

The manager of the apartment buiding who sold them to me for $150.00 threw over 200 Big Little Books down the garbage shoot in the building. He did not know they were worth anything.

Actualy the Flash Gordon, Tarzan, Mickey Mouse, and mandrake the magician and the Phantom, and other super hero books were worth about ten dollars each at the time. What a waste.

But when I lived in the haight, acid was free or 50 cents a hit. Pot was 40-60 dollars a kilo and 7 to 10 dollars an ounce. I got burned by an old man for $50.00 when I tried to buy my first kilo of weed. He took off and I actually ran into him a year later in LA. ASked him why and he said opportunity.

Hash was scarce in the Haight but MDA, STP and peyote and mescaline were common in the Haight. STP (DOM) is actually a very nice high. The problem in the Haight with all of the freakouts and emergency room treatments as well as the Haight-Ashbury free clinics large amount of freak kids, the problem became apparent years later when Sasha Shulgin was asked to analyse some STP and realized it was DOM which he knew about years before haveing synthezied it in his lab inLafayette, Califorina. Dosage for STP is four milligrams a dose and the tablets being given and sold in the Haight were 20 milligrams. Too much for anyone to handle.

The bands played from 8 to 2 in the morning (3 bands) a night at three to Several concert halls and at a few clubs.

There were five main audotoriums in San Francisco. The Avalon Ballroom, The Filmore, Winterland, The Carousel Ballroom (later the Filmore West) and the Straight Theatre in the Haight. The clubs were the Matrix and the Long Shoremans. Thats where the Airplane, Santana, Quicksilver Messenger Service and other groups played regularly and in Golden Gate Park gave free concerts on the weekends, Usually with the Greatful Dead and Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company Played.

It was a great time.

I also lived in Eugene , Portland, Beaverton and Seattle. Then Hawaii for 11 years and then SE Asia and back to Seattle.

Between 1973 when I first found the shrooms and 1986, I was involved with Dr. Feelgoods Head Shop on the Avenue which later became Beauty and the Books and then University Used and Rare books.

But my friend and colleague Richard leffel sold the head Shop to Jack Gerard. He and his wife both died from aids. I wrote the Opium Poppy cultivation book for him, created most of the cocaine cuts such as Ultracaine, genericaine, Bolivian Flake and Peruvian Rock cuts. and China White (which had a Chinese Junk boat on the bottle label) and Mexi-Brown (smack cuts). I helped create Rock Crystal Incense (procaine and manitol) and sold poppy seeds through High Times and Spores, Through Blue Magic and May Q. Rickh Sales, but stuck to spores.

have a shroomy day.

I also saw the Beattles three times and even have a record I put out with me and the Beattles on it. It will soon be on my website in a few months for download MP3, but will cost 75 cents to copy.

Since their are only about ten known copies of the record in existence, it is extremely rare.

have a shroomy day,

mj

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: ?copyright by Paul Stamets..take a look. [Re: Gumby]
    #3354233 - 11/13/04 12:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think we might have an authentic hippie right here.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: ?copyright by Paul Stamets..take a look. [Re: tomk]
    #3355200 - 11/13/04 10:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

a true survivor

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale