Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestinkfish
Lignin Lover
Loc: Californ-I-A
Where to in OR??
    #3353849 - 11/13/04 12:31 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm thinking about road tripping up to Oregon this weekend for a hunt. Can anyone recommend a good city/town to start looking in? I am coming from northern California. thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBorealis
Riverdog

Loc: PNW
Re: Where to in OR?? [Re: stinkfish]
    #3353855 - 11/13/04 12:35 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I heard Astoria has shrooms.

--------------------
Freedom of information... act.

Chasing Sunsets.

Offlineazurescens
Re: Where to in OR?? [Re: Borealis]
    #3354418 - 11/13/04 03:30 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Stay in Cali..there are no shrooms up here :smile:

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
Re: Where to in OR?? [Re: azurescens]
    #3354436 - 11/13/04 03:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

lol azur :wink:.  Well, I know libcaps and i think azures grow in florence, oregon.  Cyans possibly, but i have yet to find any.  Infact I haven't found any actives myself, over about a total 20 hours spent north and south of town, throughout town, all parks, and recreational areas.  I could just suck lol, but I'm fairly familiar with the identification of these now from research,...I mean I can find pines underground just by staring at the ground, you'd think i should be able to find a cluster of active mushrooms.  :frown: if your heading to astoria, you could stop by in florence, but I wouldn't be any help and I don't know anyone who would be, so you'd be on your own..unless of course I find some lib caps tommorow. HA. =\ ~D

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Offlinestinkfish
Lignin Lover
Loc: Californ-I-A
Re: Where to in OR?? [Re: Majestic]
    #3355291 - 11/13/04 01:02 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yep, I'm in the same situation as you, majestic. I've probably spent 15-20 hours hunting recently with only a couple doses of cyans found. Went to some dunes this morning where I had luck last week, but all we found was a single solitary baby cyan...surprising after all the rain/fog we've seen in the last couple days. There were already a couple other guys pickin the grounds too. Didn't try to approach them but they looked busy. On a side note we did find two perfect little amanitas...pretty wierd considering the coastal dune environment we were in. thanks for the help. rant over, peace

OfflineKevin
IES
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #3355745 - 11/13/04 03:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

look for matsutake in the dunes :smile:

yummmmm

--------------------
"Is it a mile walking, or a mile driving?" - dobie

OfflineOompaLoompa
Space Cadet
Loc: Willamette Valley
    #3356555 - 11/13/04 06:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If you are willing to drive up here from Cali, then you might want to just spend a couple of extra hours driving and head to Seattle. Cyans here in Oregon are hard to find without spending a lot of time walking around, and TONS of patience. I've just recently found a couple of patches in the last week, and I've been looking since the middle of October. But up in WA, they seem to be falling out of the sky. lol Some of those pictures they post are mind boggling.

If want to stay in Oregon, then look at the northern coastal area (Astoria, Warrenton) for azures, and cow pastures on the coast and in the Willamette Valley (the stretch of I-5 between Eugene and Salem) for liberty caps. That is according to what I've read and not experience though. I can only vouch for the scarcity of cyans here.

Happy hunting!

--------------------
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

R. W. Emerson

Offlinejobot37
Edible hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oregon, Willamette Valley
    #3356968 - 11/13/04 08:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

salems kinda slim at the moment, lol, lots of lawn mower mushrooms though, argh! theyre everywhere!

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: Where to in OR?? [Re: jobot37]
    #3356985 - 11/13/04 08:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

if you have the time go up to the suxon "i think thats how its spelled" in washington state. Its near vancouver huge hiking place with mushies everywhere. :grin:

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
Re: Where to in OR?? [Re: Kevin]
    #3357357 - 11/13/04 09:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

People that are visiting ask me this a lot around here, so I figured I'd sum up a general explanation of matsutakes('pines').

-Just noticed this got quite large so skip over if u could careless ;P

Pines are matsutake for those of u that aren't familiar. They are the white choice edible around here, and can be found down to northern cali and as far east as the cascades. They spend most there time growing underground, and usually have made it to grade 2-3 shortly after breaking thru. It takes lots of practice and patience (more then hunting the actives, at least so far for me & my 20 hours+ attempts) Most pick to sell, although this year has been a joke, the prices were 3 dollars a lb 2 weeks ago, and Ive heard they are up to a startling 25-30 dollars now. Prob because the season is closing and they are more rare.

Pines in the past were usually between 30-120 dollars a lb, depending on the time during the season, resalers greed, and supply/demand. They are graded on a scale of 1-5, 1 being a mushroom where there is no seperation of veil from the cap, free of worms and disease. 5 is one that is basically fully bloomed and very close to rot. Button caps must also be around 1.5" in diameter or larger for legal sale. In the past, I've had friends of my dad make upto $17,000 in sales from 3 days of picking.

Back in 1991 or 93..somewhere around there, pines were selling for around 285 dollars a lb, but that year there was some freak weather, or something..because none were being found.  When they are bought many make it to the markets in asia, tokyo primarily, where they are sold for the equivalent of 150-500 dollars a lb. 

recently I've read that prices in the markets are 30-50 a lb, making sense why the oregon buyers are so low. Seems asian people are favoring the oriental and canadian matsutakes currently. These are still selling for way above $50 a lb.

Matsutakes are nick'd pines most often due to the fact that they are mycorrhizal and require a host plant to thrive.  Pines are just one of the...5(?) hosts it grows near.  the other common one I know of is manzanita.

Hope I didn't bore anyone  :rolleyes:  hehe...

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #3357429 - 11/13/04 10:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you, lots of good info there.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3358314 - 11/14/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

A little hint. get out at 6:30 in the morning and I am sure you will find soem.

I noticed a place where I use to pick a lot and there were none this year. However, when I went out at 7 am, there were many. Others come by and pick trhem because they are on paths and terails and streets where people traffic is heavy.

The shrooms are there.

Sometimes,m some people just do not find them.

Good luck.

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification