Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejonas

Worth going bulk?
    #3349115 - 11/11/04 09:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey everyone. I got 6 quarts of popcorn ready to be inoculated and I was wondering whether it was worth it in your opinion to case them or to use them as spawn and fill a 33 gallon rubbermaid with about 2/3 the way up with horse manure/straw/vermiculite. I figure if I do that might as well go for the gusto and do 2 terrariums, each 33 gal, 2/3s full ... using 3 quarts of spawn per rubbermaid. Obviously I'm going to get more from using the manure mix, but my question is, relatively speaking, how will potency and yield be affect? I'm planning on doing half the jars golden teach and the other half pink buffalo. And when I ask how the yield will be affected, I'm not looking for a number. I've never gone bulk and I'm wondering if the difference between 6 cased quarts of popcorn and about 50 gallons of manure would be. I'd estimate the quarts would be around 1-3 ounces when all is over with but I'm totally unsure of the bulk grow. I'd guesstimate in the area of a 3-4 ounces per flush for 3 or 4 flushes, right? Just looking to see if it's going to be worth my while to stink up the house cooking that horsecrap, ugh ... haha.

NOTE: I know how the policy is with yield questions so I just wanted to clarify that I'm not looking for an exact prediction, just a ROUGH ballpark figure for comparison.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejonas

Re: Worth going bulk? [Re: jonas]
    #3349139 - 11/11/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yah, don't forget about potency :smile: I want to not have to grow for a while after this grow, which is why I want to get the most out of this grow in the regard of having the most potent cubes I can get without compromising yield, seeing as I'm going to need these to last me for at least several months, I think I'll end up putting a lot of it into capsules or vacuum sealing the rest and putting it in the fridge ...

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
    #3349174 - 11/11/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Your yields spawning 6 quarts to bulk substrate are going to yield a hell of alot more than just casing those 6 quarts.

Offlinejonas

Re: Worth going bulk? [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3349247 - 11/11/04 10:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah thats what I'm thinking. But am I looking at a few ounces, or a few lbs? Thats why I say I want a ballpark. I want to know what UNITS to measure my yield in, haha, not really numbers persay.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3349391 - 11/11/04 10:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you can get a bulk to produce anywhere from 6-12 ounces dry til it is depleted.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
Re: Worth going bulk? [Re: derx]
    #3349447 - 11/11/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My buddy, and some others that post on this forum say that a properly cased pint size rye jar will produce an average of about 20grams dry. So if you do about 48 rye jars, you'll have about two pounds. My friend doesn't see the point to "going bulk", he thinks its putting all of your eggs into one basket - and everyone knows baskets are prone to failure cause they are cheap and made in Mexico.

P.S. The 20grams is just an estimate, to use another cheesy line (don't count your chickens before they hatch).

Offlineazurescens
Re: Worth going bulk? [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #3349580 - 11/11/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you can..go with the poo because popcorn doesn't produce nearly as good fruits. Popcorn is more better suited for spawn than as a stand alone substrate. This info was passed onto me from Hyphae and he was absolutely right...100%

Offlinejonas

Re: Worth going bulk? [Re: derx]
    #3351462 - 11/12/04 12:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

derx said:
you can get a bulk to produce anywhere from 6-12 ounces dry til it is depleted.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. A half lb should last me for quite a while. Just out of curiosity, how thick was the substrate? I'm planning on having about a rubbermaid filled like 18-24" with poo.

Offlinebuckeye
enthusiast
Loc: oHIo
    #3351512 - 11/12/04 12:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thats is way too thick. you need about 4-6 inches of substrate. do multiple tubs with about 5" and you will double your yield.
Also make sure you give your mushies room to fruit.

Offlinejonas

Re: Worth going bulk? [Re: buckeye]
    #3351524 - 11/12/04 12:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Alright, I'll bring it down a bit and do multiple tubs. I think I might do 8" of substrate though, I don't want a ton of tubs.

OfflineWhippersnapper
noobie
    #3351555 - 11/12/04 12:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you can use the Oven Bag Tek w/ the manure and straw so you don't stink up the house. i would go bulk if you had the room. for me i only have my closet floor so im casing.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3351562 - 11/12/04 12:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

don't do 8" substrate.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinebuckeye
enthusiast
Loc: oHIo
Re: Worth going bulk? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3351585 - 11/12/04 01:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

that's still a lot. if you have abou 24 inches of substrate, you could easily do 4 tubs. Say you get about 5-10 ounces a tub, that will set you nicely for a bit.

Offlinejonas

Re: Worth going bulk? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3351601 - 11/12/04 01:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, you obviously know more than I do so I'll take your word for it that 8" might not be a wise choice, but could you explain why? I looked in the TEKs and didn't find anything saying how thick a bulk substrate should be. What are the advantages and disadvantages to having a thick or a thin layer? What is the ideal thickness?

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3351650 - 11/12/04 01:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thicker substrate doesn't mean more shrooms, it means thicker substrate. it can cause contam problems. and also you want surface area for pinning instead of thickness.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3351653 - 11/12/04 01:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i would say 6 inches of substrate for bulk. I've only done bulk twice, one contammed. At a certain point, the yield gain per thickness ratio isn't worth the extra wasted spawn when you could easily just spawn another tub with that same thickness and yield much more.

then again, i dont think its worth going bulk. I can produce as much mushrooms as I want with rye grains alone. But you shouldspawn the popcorn, because TEH POPCORN IS TEH SUCK for casing and should be used as a spawn substrate only.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Edited by derx (11/12/04 01:16 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags