Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTriplEarth
Stranger
Loc: Emerald Valley
Myco Medicine/Nutrition
    #3351042 - 11/12/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

It would be a great thing to have a discussion on how people out there are preparing their myco medicines or what people have come across with scientific studies done on mushroom medicines. I have read alot of differing views on the subject of using mycelium versus the fruit bodies of mushrooms. The preperation of mycelium by drying/powdering/ingesting seems to be one common method, but without breaking the cellular wall (chitin) some manufactures claim is inactive. The chitin is a component found both in the fruit and mycelium that needs to be broken down in order to release the protein bound polysaccharides. The traditional chinese way was through hot water extraction, depending on different temperatures you extract different factors. Each mushroom has its own unique chemical composition and hence, should be dealt with differently in the medicinal extraction process. An example would be a cold alcohol extraction of Coriolus versicolor, this will yield very small amounts of the important water-soluble pollysaccharides, making them less useful for nutritional support. So if one wants to be fool safe and have something of medicinal substance Double Extraction (Alcohol/Hot Water) would be the procedure for both mycelium and fruit bodies. Then leaving in liquid form as a tincture or dehydrating and haveing a powder.
Thanks, TIE

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Myco Medicine/Nutrition [Re: TriplEarth]
    #3358976 - 11/14/04 08:45 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

I have to admit that I have no experience with that kind of things.
How about you ? If you had any practical experience it would be nice if you could share them.
The only studies I have read on the internet where about reishi extracts that had some influence on cancer cells and cholesterol on mice.
But I could not find research that was done with humans in a double-blinded experiment.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms