Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners
    #3350954 - 11/12/04 12:15 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

http://news.com.com/Is+Microsoft+using+H...l?tag=nefd.lede

Quote:

Is Microsoft using 'Halo 2' to thwart Xbox hackers?
Published: November 12, 2004, 4:00 AM PST
By David Becker
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Print story E-mail story Your take

Microsoft appears to be using its smash "Halo 2" game as a vehicle to crack down on mod chips and other hacks of its Xbox video game console.

Hundreds of Xbox owners have reported in online forums in recent days that they were banned from Xbox Live, Microsoft's online gaming service, after trying to play "Halo 2" online with a modified console.

News.context

What's new:
Xbox Live users say they've been banned from their boxes after trying to play "Halo 2" on modified consoles.

Bottom line:
Console makers have long used any means available to thwart illegal copying of games. Critics say a modded Xbox can yield online cheating that ruins the gaming experience for paying customers.

More stories on Xbox hacking
A Microsoft representative would not specify which additional security measures, if any, have been added to Xbox Live around the "Halo 2" launch. "Microsoft listens carefully to the Xbox Live community and reserves the right to take steps necessary to preserve the integrity of the user experience," the representative said in a statement. "Our goal is to provide our users with secure, consistent and fair online game play. Users are not permitted to manipulate the system to the detriment of others."

"Mod chips," gray-market add-ons that allow game consoles to run imported discs, pirated games and homemade software, began circulating for the Xbox shortly after the game machine went on sale four years ago. Hackers who equip their Xboxes with mod chips and other upgrades, such as bigger hard drives, have gotten the consoles to perform all sorts of unauthorized tricks, including running Linux software and serving as digital media centers.

Nazi fucking pigs

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: OJK]
    #3351591 - 11/12/04 03:04 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

I don't really see the problem, if anyone wants to use a modded xbox online then they're free to use something like xboxconnect. XBL is a private service, if they don't want modchips then they don't have to allow them. I think it's worth it to play games in an environment that restricts the ability to cheat.

There's some ongoing discussion about what might be causing the bannings over at NTSC-uk.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: Edame]
    #3351639 - 11/12/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #3352250 - 11/12/04 05:02 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

I was of the understanding that attempting to play any Live enabled game on XBOX Live with a mod active got you banned. Why try to paint the picture of Halo 2 being some kind of surprise strategy? Either this is a shitty advertisement for Halo 2 (not likely) or the article is missing a key point, like maybe, the game automatically loads into XBOX live without warning or something.

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Border, USA Flag
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: debianlinux]
    #3353102 - 11/12/04 08:03 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

In the past only users who connected to Xbox Live with their mod chip enabled were banned. Halo 2 requires a mandatory dash update in order to play online, and after that update anyone with a mod chip will be banned whether it's enabled or not. Halo 2 is the only game that requires you to update AFAIK, but that's because it's brand new. I'm sure future games will have this same "feature".

Personally I don't think this makes MS nazis, after all it's their service and they can do as they see fit. I'd be pissed if I had just dropped $50 on a subscription only to be banned, but they're still well within their rights. It may make me a traitor to the "scene" but personally I welcome this move. Maybe now people will stop paying MS for their glorified matchmaking service and get on Xlink Kai where all the real action is :wink:.

Peace,

-Y

Offlinelateralus
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: Ythan]
    #3354467 - 11/13/04 04:13 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

How dare they say what I can or can't do to my damn xbox. I can pay 50$ and they can just take it away? fuck that shit.. thieves

InvisibleSubGen1us
 User Gallery

Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: OJK]
    #3354622 - 11/13/04 06:01 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

yet another reason why people should just use theyre pc and not fall into the
"lets buy a shitty little plastic box and spend all our money on games".
then in 2 years u can buy the z box, then maybe in 5 years the abc box.

--------------------

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: SubGen1us]
    #3354778 - 11/13/04 08:26 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Personally, my objection to this isn't from personal experience. I don't own an Xbox, I'm just scared by the precedent this sets. What happens when microsoft start writing code to exclude pc users with p2p, bittorrent or Nero installed to cut down on piracy?

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: lateralus]
    #3354847 - 11/13/04 09:31 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

lateralus said:
How dare they say what I can or can't do to my damn xbox. I can pay 50$ and they can just take it away? fuck that shit.. thieves

they aren't, silly. they are telling what you can do on their network. get it? you can do whatever you want with your hardware (for now) but you have to follow their rules to use their network. quitcher bitchin', that's the way the whole networked world turns.

I don't like it but i respect it... altho i think this last little move was somewhat underhanded. Hey, if you want to kill of a huge portion of your paying customer base who am i to bitch about that? Just because people mod their boxes doesn't mean that A) they don't buy games or B) they won't pay for XBOX Live. Treating them like criminals OTOH insures that A and B both occur.

BTW, I buy my games used (after they go below $20) and don't use XBOX Live. All M$ got from me was my initial investment in the box. Thanks for the $150 media center M$!

OfflineGeezer
experimental

Loc: UK
    #3356326 - 11/13/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I'm not really assed about xbox live so i'm happy mass downloading anything and everything as per...Unlucky for you guys that do the xbox live thing, but i'm sure people all over the globe are working on a fix as we post.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #3358880 - 11/14/04 07:13 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I think the problem is where do you draw the line at acceptable modifications once you allow them (and how do you enforce that line)? If you allow modified xboxes then it's just a matter of time before people start running downloaded games on live and MS are going to have a hard time knowing if game files have been altered to allow cheating (like spiky character models, transparent textures etc..). Who's to say that people will stop at just a chip and new HDD? I've already seen 'upgraded' xboxes for sale with extra memory and faster CPU's. How can MS assure people that they are paying money to use a secure and level playing field? I think they're right to enforce a total ban because once they lose even the appearance of level hardware and competition it becomes like every other PC gaming network (with it's common exploit > patch > exploit > patch cycle) and it would be hard to justify a yearly fee for that.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineFungi_x
Original Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: Geezer]
    #3359435 - 11/14/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

There is already a "fix". Disable your chip with a switch and install a second drive with a switch to select what drive to boot from as long as the switch is disabled and there are no files on the drive you boot to that are not MS's, there is no way M$ can tell you have a modded xbox.

This will cost very little extra. http://www.xbox-scene.com

--------------------

HAPPY FUCKING HOLIDAYS!

OfflineGeezer
experimental

Loc: UK
Re: Halo 2 Fucks Chipped Console Owners [Re: Fungi_x]
    #3369359 - 11/16/04 05:00 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I haven't looked through the forum, cool site though i came by it a while back. In theory you should be able to partition your HD and just switch between them depending on if you?re going to play on Xbox live or not. Instead of buying a new HD and spending money? just wondering

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology