Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Be careful
    #3348798 - 11/11/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It is probably a sign that I am maturing, but I have started to realize how important it is to be careful.  A couple of weeks ago, I was rotating my tires, and when I was locking down a lugnut on the last tire, I got careless.  I didn't have the tire iron completely on the head of the lug nut, and as I was on my knees torquing it very hard, it slipped off and I went down very hard on my collar bone and shoulder.  As I lay on the ground in severe pain, I worried that I had broken something.  I couldn't move my arm without severe pain and my range of movement was very limited.

It still hurts, but it made me realize how a moment of being careless could cripple you, or worse, kill you.  It really bugs me to think about it. :confused:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Be careful [Re: SpecialEd]
    #3349895 - 11/12/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

When we are young, we think we are invincible, and we don't pay too much attention to the consequences of our actions. In your case, it doesn't sound like you were being careless, but I can understand how you are thinking that you need to be more careful.

I used to hitchhike when I was younger. I would even be walking and stick my thumb out if I saw a motorcycle coming, even if going in the opposite direction, just to get a ride on a motorcycle.

I'm older now, and I don't take as many risks as I did when I was younger.

Yes, as we get older, we have to take care of our physical houses. They are all we have until those physical bodies are annihilated by death.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineDMTelepath
Nut

Loc: States of America
Re: Be careful [Re: Frog]
    #3349992 - 11/12/04 02:13 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Nice posts. Once i was rock climbing while on 5g of mushrooms and thought how stupid and careless it was to do that, ever since i've been more careful. My friend exlaimed that his karma was too high to die, that really cracked me up, even if i believed it. Many times i've thought about being careless like you thought about it, but sometimes you just have to be care free.

--------------------
Me, Myself, and GOD

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Be careful [Re: DMTelepath]
    #3350837 - 11/12/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"careful is the foe of doing"
-unknown :P

my leg broke, my hand broke, etc.
my leg is healed, my hand is healed, etc.

spent 6 month's in cast firs 2 week on the hand then i broke my leg, and i have this thing whit pain, so i cept using it.
what i could be saying is, don't be to carefully, or you could miss out on living?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Be careful [Re: Gomp]
    #3351033 - 11/12/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

To be careful...or mindful?

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Be careful [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3351393 - 11/12/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

How do you teach that to a kid, mindfullness that is?

My daughters already broken the same arm twice.

I don't want to be all over her cautioning "be careful be careful" or I will make her a paranoid wreck and stifle her fun.

One of them she went backwards funny off of her swing. At the ortho office, the recpetionist said to the other, "Seeeeeeeee thats why I don't let my son go on the swings"

How far do we take this stuff and refrain from living to remain safe?

How do you teach a child mindfullness at the same time? Especially when their attention is ussually off in imagination land and many of todays children have their sense of safety and security so cared for, they DO NOT live in the world of danger caution danger caution. Most dangers are removed for them.

To have the forethought of what can wrong, almost requires making a connection with a previous after thought where something did go wrong doing the same thing.

forethought that can keep you safe, requires the past experience of unsafe events that give you after thought to draw from.

Some people never make the connections, but even if you do, in the process of living, shit is going to happen, thats how we gain experience and forethought.

Where mindfulness fits in, particulary with a child, I'm not sure.

I think the best one can get out of mindfullness is what past experience they have to be mind full with and draw from. If one is living, their experience will be full of mistakes.

Isn't that just life and the process of becoming more mindful? :confused:

Be mindful. It sounds good, but what does it really mean for person to the next?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Be careful [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3351434 - 11/12/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

scary stories? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Be careful [Re: Gomp]
    #3351468 - 11/12/04 12:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ha ha. I havn't filled her mind full of those. Thats another topic.

I see what you are saying. if a witch ever goes to shove them in an oven, they will have the forethought from the story to push her ass in first.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #3351539 - 11/12/04 12:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have started to realize how important it is to be careful.
Wait till you're riding a skateboard at a moderate pace down a slight hill on smooth pavement when you fall and hit your head and your friends run up to find that you're twitching all crazy and blood is pouring out of your ear and your skull is cracked in 3 or 4 places and then after you get out of the hospital you go to the place where you fell and you see a big bloodstain on the pavement and a coyote's taken a big shit on it then a week later you lose control over the right half of your face and you're not sure it's gonna come back but it does thank god... THAT's fucked up. You fell while changing a tire? OoooooOOOOo who's got bigger balls and more heroic injuries than you? MeeEEEEeeeEEEeeee

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Be careful [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3351884 - 11/12/04 01:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you should be proud

--------------------

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Re: Be careful [Re: deff]
    #3351930 - 11/12/04 02:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

For me, mindfulness--stopping all thought while focusing on the now--is a simple but rediculously effictive method by which, according to the degree it's practiced, improves all aspects of one's life.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Be careful [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3353416 - 11/12/04 08:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I always suspected you of sustaining serious brain damage.

Karl MalOW3NED.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Be careful [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3354438 - 11/13/04 01:49 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

the_phoenix said:
For me, mindfulness--stopping all thought while focusing on the now--is a simple but rediculously effictive method by which, according to the degree it's practiced, improves all aspects of one's life.

Especially while standing on the rails, watching the train closing by :grin:
(sorry, couldn't resist)
But yes, life is precious. It needs some care.
Even if it's a rally-car for some, it's not worth getting over the cliffs or hitting the trees.

Rally on :thumbup:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinesleepysmoker
Stranger

#3354476 - 11/13/04 02:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah haha. i get rolled by the police too often. now i am keeping myself from doing anythign illegal outside of my house. BE CAREFUL

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Be careful [Re: sleepysmoker]
    #3355906 - 11/13/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

its all very confusing. "they" say, be carefull, stay on the straight and narrow, dont do drugs! do sports.

so, ok, i do sports. Im getting in shape, having fun, learning discipline and self respect and all that stuff. maybe there right, this is better than drugs!

boom, i get tossed on my head in judo. X rays show how close i came to being quadrapolegic. Sports almost ruined my life.

ya know what im saying? of course i agree we must be as carefull as possible but almost every choice and action carries its own set of risks.

be as carefull as you want, but youll get stuck in extremes, like that guy who lived in his germ-proof home his all life. On the one hand, if your not carefull enough your life will be short. on the other hand if your too carefull your life will be boring.

balance is always the key, and sporadic moments of sheer recklessness seem to be almost indespensible for healthy functioning of the prostate gland.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Re: Be careful [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3356187 - 11/13/04 02:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The more I think about it, the less I understand what it means to be careful. Being careful seems to require thought, of what could go wrong, how you can minimize the risks, etc. However, this constant thought process is distracting and would actually increase one's risk of injury. Conversely, mindfulness necessitates no thought, allowing the ineffable to flow through you unobstructed. I say it's better to have faith in the ineffable rather than in your thoughts.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale