Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebrianh1818
Master of theVision Quest
Loc: New York
Grow kit help needed for a first time grower!!
    #3350611 - 11/12/04 08:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, I ordered on of those premade grow "bricks" from a website online. This is my first grow, and so I have a few questions. First of all, in one of the corners, at the bottom, a little mushroom is growing, but the cake is blocking its path to grow up anymore. Should I remove this mushroom to prevent it from rotting if its not able to grow upwards? Also, it seems like around the edges of the brick more action is taking place than in the middle. Is there any reason for this or has anybody else noticed this with any of the kits from online?

Thanks for the help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Grow kit help needed for a first time grower!! [Re: brianh1818]
    #3350620 - 11/12/04 08:34 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you got a picture? it'd help us understand your situation a bit better...

but generally mushrooms are good at finding their way out when they hit something.(usually by adding bulk)

Kits are hard to understand without a lot of explaination or pictures..

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Grow kit help needed for a first time grower!! [Re: Sam1912]
    #3350626 - 11/12/04 08:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think the first question should be are the sides of the kit container clear or translucent? If they are you need to cover them with tin foil or something...

Im assuming they are clear, if you can see mushrooms growing in them, but like Sam said...a picture would be great.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlinebrianh1818
    #3350634 - 11/12/04 08:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ok I'm gonna try to describe this best I can... imagine a rectangular plastic container that was one full of "dirt" or whatever they use. Anyway, through the absortion of nutrients, the cake has begun to shrink in the one corner, but from the bottom up. I wish I had a camera to take a picture but this is as good as I'll be able to do...lol

That is the basic shape of the kit, though the O should be bigger as the cap seems to be pressed between the cake and walls of the tub. Its literally growing from the bottom up. So I guess I should leave it?

Brian

Offlinebrianh1818
    #3350638 - 11/12/04 08:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The side of the kit is a opaque plastic, however instructions said to double wrap it with aluminum foil, which I did. I just don't want something to happen thats gonna effect the whole batch cause I'm looking forward to some hopefully good homegrown. Has anybody ordered premade PF Tek jars online from a site like sporgasm? I wanna try growing with that method next time.

Brian

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

#3350644 - 11/12/04 08:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well I dont suggest touching the casing...I think we need a mycological expert on this.

Two problems I have with this are:

1. If it rots there I dont know what effect (if any) it will have on the rest of the casing.

2. If you touch the casing its begging for a contam visit.

You could heat sterilize a knife of some sort and pry it out, but be careful. Wait this one out and see what some guys have to say.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"

"A is A" -Aristotle

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3350649 - 11/12/04 08:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think he's casing pulled away from the side and mushroom grew from the bottom... Am I right?

If that's the case, try leaving it like that for a day. Mushroom might be able to squeeze through. It's not a good idea to handle the substrate or even wave your hand around it. If mushroom starts to turn blue or it aborts(black caps, blue bruising stem and no growth over 24 hour period) You'll have to harvest.

From the sounds of it, I think you have a premade casing... Did it come with instructions? Even a pic with webcam can help us understand your setup...

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Re: Grow kit help needed for a first time grower!! [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3350651 - 11/12/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Brian, Follow the pf tek and do it on your own. Dont waste money ordering premade substrates etc. Although theres some awsome providers of that kind of thing, doing it yourself will teach you alot about the process and aid you in finding contamination, identifying problems etc.

Get some jars, verm, brf, about 24 hours of study time and do some serious reading here.

Kido

--------------------

"A is A" -Aristotle

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3350657 - 11/12/04 08:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If we can understand his setup better, we can help him better. Rotting is definitely a no no. If there is an overlay, he can recase. If there isn't, he can harvest and dunk. But we have to know what substrate, what casing, bottom casing, etc... list of ingredients of that casing will help, too... just not enough information to help anymore at this point.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinebrianh1818
    #3350703 - 11/12/04 09:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok heres a pic of the kit, although mine is a different type I believe. I ordered Hawaiian cubes, even though Ive read no such strain existed in hawaii, and its just a mix up but whatever.
[image][/image]

Imagine the bottom left corner has shrunk more at the bottom, and is kinda over hanging and the top, and shroom with a cap the side of a dime or a little smaller is trying to push up.

Thanks for all the help guys - Brian

Offlinebrianh1818
    #3350712 - 11/12/04 09:06 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The shrooms are only on day 10 though, and they basically say it takes 2 and 1/2 weeks to grow. So if it doesnt push its way up, getting a sterile knife or scalpel might be the best thing to do to remove it, and prevent rot? Though this is my first time growing i dont think its an abort because its not black, but that reddish brown color of the caps.

Brian

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3350722 - 11/12/04 09:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's PES strain. It was from a company in Hawaii, I think.

It looks like straight verm casing. How does your casing layer(the stuff on top) look? white mycelium everywhere? just poking through in places? or none at all?

Sam

--------------------

Offlinebrianh1818
    #3350752 - 11/12/04 09:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

On the top there are random circles of mycelium here and there, but not everywhere. More pinning mushrooms keep coming up each day, and some have gotten to be around a couple cm or so already. The best way to describe the top is somewhere inbetween the day 9 and day 10 pictures of this.
[image] http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/images/archive/cultivation_psilocybe_cubensis14.jpg[/image]

Brian

Offlinebrianh1818
    #3350755 - 11/12/04 09:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3350770 - 11/12/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think the best bet is to let the mushrooms grow for now. Keep a close eye on the one growing on the bottom, but try not to breath on the casing. Most likely the it'll try to grow through or bulk up. If the cap turns black and you notice bruising at the veil and no bulk or growth in 24 hours, pick it out with a clean knife and some tweezers. You might want to wear a glove if you think your hand will touch the casing.

There is simply too many babies to mess with it right now. After the harvest you can dunk the casing and it'll fill the tub back up.

Try to keep that mushroom from getting wet.

And next time, don't buy a kit. Help is hard to come by because each kit is different. Not to mention overpriced mad.

Good luck

Sam

--------------------

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

#3350779 - 11/12/04 09:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I hate kits so much. Wheres the love?? Where??!!

Kido

--------------------

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlinebrianh1818
Re: Grow kit help needed for a first time grower!! [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3350800 - 11/12/04 09:32 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

alright one last question, probably a simple one at that. When I harvest ive read you pinch near the bottom and twist each shroom out. If there is any white mycelium left on the top should I scrape it off before dunking it? Should I wear sterile gloves while harvesting?

Brian

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3350835 - 11/12/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Don't pinch. You'll just end up with blue mushrooms. Just grasp firmly with two fingers and pull with slight twist. If some stem stays behind, you have to cut it out with sharp knife or something.

Good luck

Sam

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds