Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Good advice by Bill Maher?
    #3347249 - 11/11/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I just came across this Larry King interview of Bill Maher from July 31st, 2003.

KING: Well, one is going to have to emerge, and then that one will have to present some platform to the party, and they'll have a convention in Boston.

MAHER: Well, let me give them a platform. Here would be my Democratic platform. Repeal the tax cut for rich people, right?

KING: I think they're saying that already, aren't they, most of them?

MAHER: OK. End the drug war. You're not going to get serious about the war on terror until you end the drug war. And also, it's a -- it should be a Democratic constituency. People who are suffering from this war, and there are millions, not just people who are in jail who shouldn't be in jail, but police who are corrupted by having to fight this, courts that are clogged -- hemp, if we had hemp available in this country, which is not even marijuana, we wouldn't have to cut down another tree. OK, get Israeli (ph) about fighting the war on terror here at home. And get real about the environment and end corporate welfare. There's a platform. If someone would come out with something like that, I would get behind them. I'd vote Democratic.

KING: Do you think Bush can be beaten?

MAHER: Not by this crowd.

What do people think of this? I know this is going to a biased crowd, but is it realistic? I know the current polls on support for legalization is low, but if a major party were to adopt the stance, perhaps its feasible? I mean, if the people can be convinced by the government to support it, could they be convinced to drop it?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: Tao]
    #3347256 - 11/11/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Bill Maher is right as always and sees through to bullshit and tells it as it is.

Not a great comedian though.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3347310 - 11/11/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

with the amount of god fearing bible humpers that just voted
this shitbag back into office you think you're going to get critical
mass for a legalization effort?

get real.

this country is going down the jesus drain.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3347311 - 11/11/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The American people would not elect someone whose platform is based on ending the Drug War. Tom Campbell, one of the few good Republicans out there, ran against Dianne Feinstein a few years back on this platform and lost miserably. I think, however, if a candidate ran on the platform of cutting the fat of big government, and ending the Drug War was part of that, then the American people might be a little more receptive.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3347400 - 11/11/04 03:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Too many have been led to believe that ALL illegal drugs are the devil. There would have to be a drastic shift in public education on the truths of drug use before public opinion would change. I don't think the War on Drugs could end any other way. Americans belive, which probably dates back to Manifest Destiny or before, that they have the right to impose their will on others.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: newuser1492]
    #3347437 - 11/11/04 03:26 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
Americans belive, which probably dates back to Manifest Destiny or before, that they have the right to impose their will on others.

Many people in this forum seem to hold that belief as well.

--------------------

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3347519 - 11/11/04 03:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i guess my point is that if they had the speaking platform of the entire democratic party, they could convince a hell of a lot people. i dont need to tell you guys that a lot of sane, logical points can be made. a lot, or should i say most people don't know some simple facts. just the other week there was some idiot on here talking about keeping certain drugs illegal and not having a fucking clue what he was talking about, saying things like, "well alcohol isnt physically addicting" and "most heroin overdoses are not from taking bad heroin" and "coke/heroin would still be really expensive even if it were not illegal". again, with the speaking platform of the democratic party, i think a hell of a lot of people could be convinced. havent you guys experienced conversations with people where you slowly turn them to seeing legalization as a good idea? Its usually pretty difficult to actually change someone's political opinion on something, but this is an issue ive actually had success with. i remember vividly one time a year ago i got in an extremely heated argument with a guy (boyfriend of my friend) about legalization of weed. the entire night he would not give any ground, not accept anything i said, that pot was a horrible damaging drug that he new from personal experience with friends and should stay illegal. i saw him on campus a week later and he came over to me saying he looked up what i said and i was right, apologized and patted me on the back.

plus they could capitalize on the terrorist and crime fear of middle america (isnt that what so many said they saw bush as superior on?), saying they can protect americans from those better as well as cut taxes. the point is the democratic party needs a real concrete solution as to how to combat problems better than the republicans. this could be it.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3347531 - 11/11/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

i dont need to tell you guys that a lot of sane, logical points can be made.

Since when has logic ever succeeded in winning someone an election in America?

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: tomk]
    #3347546 - 11/11/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tomk said:

Shiiiiiiiiit. He's one of the funniest ever IMO.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3347652 - 11/11/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

there was some idiot on here talking about keeping certain drugs illegal and not having a fucking clue what he was talking about, saying things like, "well alcohol isnt physically addicting" and "most heroin overdoses are not from taking bad heroin" and "coke/heroin would still be really expensive even if it were not illegal"

That's the same guy that refused to believe crack and cocaine were the same drug.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3347660 - 11/11/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thats the one :yesnod:

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3347701 - 11/11/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you're worried about the WOD quit drugs.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3347786 - 11/11/04 04:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Great_Satan said:
If you're worried about the WOD quit drugs.

HAHAHA!
So I guess you're saying, if I'm worried about the goverment trampling my rights, I should just give up that right? So since I'm worried about the Patriot Act, I should just stifle my free speech? I should forgo my freedom to assemble peacefully? You really are an absurd individual.....

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: DNKYD]
    #3347790 - 11/11/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

pay no attention :rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3348673 - 11/11/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Quote:

tomk said:

Shiiiiiiiiit. He's one of the funniest ever IMO.

Not as funny as Lewis Black...

--------------------

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
    #3348769 - 11/11/04 08:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If people really knew about the war on drugs, they would be against it. I've been to one DPA conference, and there were people there who's families had been tattered by the effects of a family member's drug dependance, and one of the speakers at the conference lost his mother to a heroin overdose when he was in high school, and these people are still reasonable enough to see the ills of the drug war- very valiantly, since most people are happy thinking that locking people up for getting high is appropriate.
So there is some hope- but it's baby steps: try to educate people. I think i'll make a write up about the WOD and post it so people can add and spread it around.
Also: some good news: David Soares won the DA seat in Albany and his entire platform was based on repealing new york's Rockefellar drug laws. People in New York seem to get the message that mandatory minimums and racist policies are ridiculous. This was an important win.
The problem with ending the drug war besides individuals' misconceptions is the fact that prison lobbyists have much power in washington. The prison industrial complex results where the government (with tax dollars) builds prisons, they need prisoners to fill them, they raise minimum sentences and increase enforcement (more tax dollars) to find potential prisoners. Drug arrests are easy, so that's what they go for.
So for now it's just civil rights activists, libertarians, minorities mostly who know about how fucked up it is. This body can grow, but with baby steps.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: nycomyco]
    #3350279 - 11/12/04 05:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

This body can grow, but with baby steps.

but my point is that perhaps a baby step is not what it needs, it needs a giant step, a prominent figure to come out with it as a solution to many problems not just drug problems themselves (i.e. funding terrorism).

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3350296 - 11/12/04 05:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

> That's the same guy that refused to believe crack and cocaine were the same drug

To be fair, crack and cocaine are not the same drug anymore than heroin and morphine are the same drug.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: Seuss]
    #3350348 - 11/12/04 06:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

did you read that thread though?

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Good advice by Bill Maher? [Re: Seuss]
    #3350430 - 11/12/04 06:49 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Seuss they are the same drug. Cocaine is the HCL salt and Crack is the freebase.

I even posted in that thread a link from a DEA website that uses Cocaine and Crack in the same sentence to refer to the same drug.

Crack is not a derivative of cocaine it simply does not have an HCl attached. No different then an A/B extraction of DMT from Mimosa. The DMT starts out as an HCL salt and then becomes the freebase. SAME CHEMICAL.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/straight/cocaine.htm

Why is it so hard for people to understand this?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies