Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemadsickpenguin
I have a lot of trouble with rye. Please help.
    #3346648 - 11/11/04 03:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This is the second batch of rye jars inocculated with Ecuador strain. Most of the top of the rye colonizes and the sides don't seem to grow all that well.

I shake after seeing a good amount of colonization on top. But, after I shake it seems to stall, every time...what gives?

Here's my method:

-soak for 24 hours, drain a couple of times, simmer 45 min, rinse thoroughly, and pc for one hour.

-inject through center hole (5cc). Lid, then tyvek, then ring. Incubating at 82-86F.

Am I missing something??

Edited by madsickpenguin (11/11/04 07:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemadsickpenguin
Re: I have a lot of trouble with rye. Please help. [Re: madsickpenguin]
    #3348098 - 11/11/04 07:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

(posting again so I might get a reply)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3348397 - 11/11/04 09:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

madsickpenguin said:
-soak for 24 hours, drain a couple of times, simmer 45 min, rinse thoroughly, and pc for one hour.
-inject through center hole (5cc). Lid, then tyvek, then ring. Incubating at 82-86F.

try simmering it for 45 minutes to 1 hour with an addition of a little gypsum,
allow it to stand and cool, frain for 45 minutes, load the jars/bags and PC as
normal, when innoculating use only 1cc of spore solution in each

do your jars look something like this?

OfflineBlueBruiser
Psilocin Technician

Loc: Mushroom planet
    #3349169 - 11/11/04 11:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This is just my 2 cents but my experience with simmered rye has been bad. For some reason the rye does not obtain the proper moisture which inhibits mycelial growth. I have had much better experience with cooking in the pressure cooker after it has been soaked for 24 hours. I use a ratio of 100g rye/106g water. This way I get my grain to look like this.

A gooey substance collects on the sides because of the grain cooking in its own juices which I find helps in keeping the grain moist once shaken. Simmered rye always seems to dry for it to colonize thick and fast. When you simmer the juices are washed away. This has just been my experience with rye as I have looked for the best formula that works for me.

OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
Re: I have a lot of trouble with rye. Please help. [Re: BlueBruiser]
    #3349208 - 11/12/04 12:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"When you simmer the juices are washed away" <- what does that mean? I like to simmer, but maybe your right. I don't simmer for 45 mins though, just 20.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: I have a lot of trouble with rye. Please help. [Re: BlueBruiser]
    #3349227 - 11/12/04 12:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

popcorn>rye

my 2 cents :grin:.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisiblemadsickpenguin
Re: I have a lot of trouble with rye. Please help. [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3350509 - 11/12/04 09:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you, these are all very helpful tips.

Looks like it's experimentation time, I think I'm going to make two jars rye simmered 45 min with gypsum, 2 jars rye simmered for 20 min, 2 jars rye without simmering, and 2 jars of popcorn.

BlueBrusier do you mean you pc directly after soaking?

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
    #3350603 - 11/12/04 10:27 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey,

Ive seen this post alot of times and I want to reitterate something. Although I follow Magashes tek as it appears you do as well, the most important phase of the preperation of rye is the simmering. If you choose to pc the jars with grain and water then you can ignore this.

When simmering your rye two things are important.

1. Simmering is not simply making it warm and leaving it.

2. The rye will split when it reaches maximum absorbtion, the amount of time you simmer is irrelevant.

What you need to do is heat on high until you acheive a BOIL. It doesnt need to be a furious boil, but it needs to boil nonetheless. Once this is acheived cut back the heat but maintain the boil lightly. Keep an eye on it stirring often.

You dont begin timing the simmer until youve acheived this heat. Watch the clock but dont swear by it. Boil until you see the grains splitting.

Splitting is more appropriately termed 'exploding'.

Alot of people see it expand and when the slit in the grain begins to show they think this is splitting. It isnt.

When the insides of your grains begin to show that means theyve reached maximum absorbtion. At this point, when you begin to see it, boil for another 5-10 min. Alot of grains split prematurely, and the remainder will be behind.

You dont want more then 5% or less of your grains split, but you need to wait until you begin to see this. It could take anywhere from 30min to 1hr30min. It depends on your stove, your boiling pot, and your grain.

You drain thoroughly as usual.

Im very confident the problem your having is a moisture issue, either too much or too little.

If you dont simmer the grain long enough, excessive draining will make your substrate too dry.

If you simmer long enough and dont drain enough, it will be to wet.

The line is fine, but you need to find it.

Good luck,

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineBlueBruiser
Psilocin Technician

Loc: Mushroom planet
Re: I have a lot of trouble with rye. Please help. [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #3350877 - 11/12/04 11:54 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well when u simmer the rye, lots of water is used. More than the amount necessary to bring it to optimum moisture. Then after its simmered its my understanding that you wash it again in water, drain it, then bag it.

When rye is cooked it mixes with water and that water has some juices from the rye, like when u cook many things. In this process that rye water is lost. If you cool in a bag or jar and use only the specified amount of water that water retains the juices from cooking and give the pictured result that I displayed above.

Experimentation is important, one should try different preparation methods. When I tried to simmer the grain took a long time to colonize, mostly because the grain looked dry even though on the inside it was moist.When I PC bags or jars the juices coat like 90& of the kernels giving them a moist appearance several days after PCing. Like I said this is just my experience, try some methods out and see what works. Optimum moisture of the grain is essential for healthy mycelial growth.  :thumbup: Peace

Invisiblemadsickpenguin
Re: I have a lot of trouble with rye. Please help. [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3352653 - 11/12/04 06:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

call_me_kido said:

The line is fine, but you need to find it.

So true, so true..

Thank you for the input, I do appreciate the good info!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation