Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3347282 - 11/11/04 02:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomFriend said:
Quote:

discman1 said:
Quote:

MushroomFriend said:
Quote:

Psychoslut said:
and the back-pressure caused by the filter wont burn out the motor?

Polyfill is often used in aquaria (to filter water actually) but doesnt seem to burn out pump engines.

Yeah, as long as you don't pack it ultra tight, it won't unless your pump is ultra-cheap.

LOl my pump IS ultra cheap (6$ and 240 liters an hour max). It was an bargain, normal price wasnt that high either I believe about 20$.
But untill now I wasnt planning on filtering my air. And arent contams more likely to affect incubated jars more then colonized cakes/casings in the pmp/fruiting chamber?

Yes, but you can never be too clean. Why make your mycelium waste energy fighting off contams if you can avoid it?

I guess it just depends on the pump. But a polyfill air filter shouldn't add much resistance unless it is improperly packed. I do know that significant resistance can cause them to die rapidly in some cases, though.

I think that using a HEPA vacuum cleaner bag is probably the coolest idea if you want to be hardcore. There's no way that polyfill could even come close to that kind of filtration, but I'm sure it's more than adequate for most.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3347309 - 11/11/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm setting up my terrarium tomorrow. A 30gal tub with perlite and 1 8" air stone with pump. I'll also be using a home made polyfil filter on it. I have 6 cakes getting ready. 1 is ready to be dunked tonight and rolled tomorrow. The rest will be ready soon. I'm excited. First grow for me.

--------------------
You've raped! I feel dirty
It hurt! As a child
Tied down! That's a good boy
And fucked! Your own child
I scream! No one hears me
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching
Mommy why?! Your own child -Korn

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: Tripster]
    #3347353 - 11/11/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

my airpump has a filter on the intake, as almost all do...it looks like a block of styrofoam on mine.. but its not styrofoam.. thats gotta filter out a good portion of things

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: KyKid]
    #3347421 - 11/11/04 03:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

were do you guys buy geo lite from, i know its all over the internet, but i want to find some local somehow.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3347435 - 11/11/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Any local indoor gardening shop should have it.

Open up the phone book and start calling around.

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: discman1]
    #3347892 - 11/11/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Couldn't you just put the air pump in the middle of a big box of polyfill? (Or is heat a problem?)

I used to have an air pump called a "Silent Giant". It was a heavy monster. When if finally died I did a post mortem. Inside was a tiny little stinker of a pump packed in lots of fine gravel.

--------------------
Don't panic!

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3347900 - 11/11/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
were do you guys buy geo lite from, i know its all over the internet, but i want to find some local somehow.

Here all garden centers have it and ofcourse all of them growshops! :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: ticktock]
    #3347905 - 11/11/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hm i dont wanna do a pre-mortem hehe so i will check some polyfill filter thingy if i get contams in my PmP.

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: ticktock]
    #3348125 - 11/11/04 06:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ticktock said:
Couldn't you just put the air pump in the middle of a big box of polyfill? (Or is heat a problem?)

I used to have an air pump called a "Silent Giant". It was a heavy monster. When if finally died I did a post mortem. Inside was a tiny little stinker of a pump packed in lots of fine gravel.

Yes, that is another method.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: PmP Geolite vs Perlite [Re: discman1]
    #3348149 - 11/11/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

discman1 said:
Quote:

ticktock said:

Yes, that is another method.

I might try that! I skip glue-ing and shit. And it might absorn soem noise.. But thats no real reason.

Thanx ticktock and discman!

--------------------

Invisiblebbox244
Legally Insane
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #14347141 - 04/25/11 01:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

For the air pump(s), couldn't you take say a 5-12 quart container, drill 2 holes, one for the electrical cords and one for the tubs, seal put the pumps into the container run the cords out the larger hole, the tubes out the other, then seal both holes with Stuffit, or some other sealing material, silicone, epoxy, etc.  Then, cover the entire top of the container with a single layer of Tyvek.  Given the very large surface area of the tyvek, would it be large enough to allow enough air flow for the pumps in the container, say 2 or 3 pumps?  You could seal the tyvek onto the top of the container by wrapping the tyvek over the edges and gluing the edges of the tyvek to the upper edges of the container with epoxy/silicone.  Would this work?

--------------------
.... Always curious, always looking for better ways, mind always wonders ....

TRUE HEPA Filtered Air Pumps TEK
Everything you need to know about tubs TEK
Fast Tub Dehydrator TEK

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix