Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Harvesting all at one time?
    #3346063 - 11/11/04 10:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

So ive almost got my first shrooms growing, and i was wondering if when the time is right I should harvest the whole flush or can I just pick as I need em or before the cap inverts

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Harvesting all at one time? [Re: MovingTarget]
    #3346293 - 11/11/04 11:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you are after "weight", pick them when the caps are flat and fully mature.
If you are after "potency", pick them just as the veil breaks or right before it does.

When the veil breaks they slow down producing psilocybin/psilocyn and start putting on weight.
Picking them just as the veil breaks,gives you the most psilocybin/psilocyn by weight, than if you waited until they were completely flat and mature.

I pick every-one that is at the peak maturity(just as the veil breaks)and if the rest isn't ready, I will wait until they are-but no longer than 24 hours.You should harvest all of them within 24 hours of picking the first one.

My two pennies!

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Harvesting all at one time? [Re: doc34]
    #3346309 - 11/11/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I could use some pennies....

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
    #3346311 - 11/11/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

VERY interesting. I had the same question after a few recent experiances. That's awesome!

Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3346312 - 11/11/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

So basically pick them when they still have that ball shape of the top, rather then saucer shape (when you can see the spores) - I know my terminology is great :grin:

Now, is this from your experience?  or form yours and many other people?  How did you come to this conclusion?

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleMovingTarget

#3346331 - 11/11/04 11:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

doc34 said:
If you are after "weight", pick them when the caps are flat and fully mature.
If you are after "potency", pick them just as the veil breaks or right before it does.

When the veil breaks they slow down producing psilocybin/psilocyn and start putting on weight.
Picking them just as the veil breaks,gives you the most psilocybin/psilocyn by weight, than if you waited until they were completely flat and mature.

I pick every-one that is at the peak maturity(just as the veil breaks)and if the rest isn't ready, I will wait until they are-but no longer than 24 hours.You should harvest all of them within 24 hours of picking the first one.

My two pennies!

cool, thanks i'l do that,  If only you could of been around a week ago when i was having a debate about potency of small shrooms vs big shrooms lol.

any reason for harvesting the whole lot within 24 hours?

--------------------

InvisibleMovingTarget

#3346350 - 11/11/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

here it is http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3278477/page//fpart/2/vc/1

doc34 read the next couple pages of this link and tell me if am wrong or not! :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
    #3346359 - 11/11/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

they dont lose potency or gain any, wether the shroom is two inc and five inch with inverted cap the potency will be about the same, i think doc sumed it up well, they just get bigger with no increase in potency so the only thing that maes people think the smaller ones are stronger is becuase they hit you just the same as the big ones do but that doesnt make them anystronger it only makes you think that.

InvisibleMovingTarget

Re: Harvesting all at one time? [Re: KyKid]
    #3346372 - 11/11/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

but if you have 5 grams of small shrooms and 5 grams of big shrooms, the 5 grams of smaller shrooms will give a slightly stronger trip i think, man i hope i dun have to get into this again lol, see why for yourself in that thread lol

--------------------

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
    #3346373 - 11/11/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, I read all that BS.. and these are MY 2 cents.

It's reported that an abort has as mush P. as a large does. So, in theory if you ate 5g of aborts, and a 5g large mushroom.. the aborts would screw you up a biiiiit more. It's been in my experiance.. which isn't a crapload.. that yes, they're more potent by weight if they're picked as the veil breaks, or sooner.

Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

InvisibleMovingTarget

Re: Harvesting all at one time? [Re: Sammy]
    #3346381 - 11/11/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thank fuck for that :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: Harvesting all at one time? [Re: Sammy]
    #3346463 - 11/11/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, I didn't read all of the thread,lol.

First,if you have 5 g's of pins/aborts and you have 5 g's of fully mature mushrooms-I will take the aborts/pins any day!

When the veil breaks they start gaining mass and slow down producing psilocybin/psilocyn.

So 5 grams of pins/aborts would be more like 6-8 grams of fully mature ones.If not more.

They are not "more potent", they just contain more active chemicals per gram of weight than mature ones.The mature ones contain the same amount of active chemicals, but they have more bulk mass(weight)that makes them seem less potent. Remove the mass that was gained and you would have the same amount of active chemicals.
I know this is confusing,lol, I have read thread after thread about this topic.
If you take 5 grams of pins/aborts and extracted the psilocybin/psilocyn from them and done the same with 5 grams of fully mature specimens-the pins/aborts would give more active chemicals than the other.They have not gained their mass yet,so they contain more psilocybin/psilocyn per gram of weight than if they matured.

I hope that makes sense,lol.

I know from experience that pins/aborts are more potent-try them,but be carefull.They will surprise you,lol.

As for harvesting them all within 24 hours-so you don't shock the mycelium.When you remove a mushroom, you damage the mycelium and it takes about 24 hours for it to recooperate and start growing again.so if you picked them all,the mycelia would not suffer from having to recooperate more than once.
I'm sure there is probably a better explaination,lol.

"If you can see the gills-its time to kill"
Meaning its time to pick,lol.

--------------------

InvisibleMovingTarget

#3346498 - 11/11/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Cool, thanks.  I totally agree, the guy i was argueing with in that thread  thought i was an idiot lol.

And thanks for the heads up about the harvesting i dont have much time left before i pick these bad boys(koh samui, I heard they were really potent :laugh: anyone know for sure about the potency/trip type of these?)

--------------------

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
    #3346518 - 11/11/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Very well said. A lot of peole say that picking the shrooms right before or right after the veil breaks is a waste and is a load of crap etc. If I were to grow mushrooms for myself or even for profit, I would want the most potent mushrooms per gram of dry weight. Especially if people are going to spend their hard earned money on them. The only time caps should be let to fully mature is when printing is desireable. Other than that...

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3346535 - 11/11/04 12:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>When the veil breaks they start gaining mass and slow down producing psilocybin/psilocyn.

Can you point me to some scientific research that supports  this claim? Just curious :wink:

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: Harvesting all at one time? [Re: Anno]
    #3346571 - 11/11/04 12:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Can you point me to some scientific research that supports this claim? Just curious

Not scientific data,but I can sure give you pages of posts that have been made here that states the same as I do.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post2376851

Just one for starters-I'll get them together if you want?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3346580 - 11/11/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

These are all hear say stories. I would like to see some more substantial data for the claim that "when the veil breaks they start gaining mass and slow down producing psilocybin/psilocin".

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: Harvesting all at one time? [Re: Anno]
    #3346600 - 11/11/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I see you have been asking for such documentation for some time ANNO

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...true#Post568116

Post #568129
03/03/02 01:40 AM

lmao-I will attempt to find this for you.
I , among others, have read and learned this to be true, from these forums and boards on the net.As you say-they are heresay.

I will search.lol

--------------------

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3346758 - 11/11/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you find some actual scientific data on the subject, it'd be great if you'd start a new thread dedicated to that topic so fellow shroomerites could find it with a bit of ease. I'm gonnna look around for some myself but I notoriously suck at that type of thing :P. Maybe I'll get lucky though!

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: Harvesting all at one time? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3346804 - 11/11/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I will keep looking,although from what I have found so far-it seems there is no data available at this point.
I will definately try to clear up this topic though.

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3347363 - 11/11/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I agree. There was a lot of people speculating that production of psilocybin stops when sporation begins, thus harvest right before sporation begins. But there's no research to prove all that.

Another speculation is that there is more psilocybin in infant mushrooms. I find this to be untrue IME. Aborts are something else all together. It's just my guess, but maybe increase comes from trying to fight back whatever is causing it to abort.

Once the sporation begins, you see the gills taking on dark color. Not the cap, the gills. Even if the speculation is right and psilocybin slows or stops at this point, potency wouldn't go down because mushroom doesn't add bulk after sporation begins.

So, this is all about speculations on speculations. No hard data or consistant reports.

FME, little ones are same as large ones. Because of benefits of harvesting the whole flush at once outweighs benefits of satisfying itchy fingers(proven benefits), I'll stick with allowing little ones to catch up a bit before harvesting the entire flush as one. Unless of course, your itchy fingers need some serious scratching.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies