Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
Need advice on sterility & trading spores.
    #333816 - 06/04/01 05:57 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Hi there,

I've been getting a couple of Private Messages from people that want to trade spores with me.  As I've never done this and don't want to waste their time, I need some advice on how this is done.  First I've detailed how I've got my spores to date, then I've left a few specific questions.
Any help appreciated (by me & whoever is going to end up with them :smile:)

I've never really purposley taken a spore print before now.  I've checked out the color of accidental prints that I've got as a result of drying my mushrooms for storage, but never set out to get a fully uncontaminated and useful print.  As it happens, I recently decided to try a basic cultivation tek and so I'm in the process of trying to get some useful prints at the moment.  What I've done is chopped of the caps of the shrooms with a pair of (unsterilized) scissors, layed them down on some waxy baking paper, covered them with absorbent paper towel, and taped the edges closed so no bugs could get in there.  I've left this in my room for a few days (temperature reaching 30 degrees Celcius due to a small fan blown heater).  Soon I'll undo it all and check out the prints.  I was going to simply cut the prints out in a rectangular peice of baking paper, fold this in half and tape up the edges.  The print would only be on half of the rectangular peice, to prevent folding it.  I have no idea at all if that's exceptable or not, but I don't want to piss off people that I don't even know so any advice would be great.  I did actually wash my hands...;)

If anyone could answer these Questions, they would no-doubt be a very cool person:
- What species can be grown using common teks? Only "dung-loving" mushrooms?
- How many prints are typically traded?
- How are they traded? (i.e. Through the post, what?)
- Is this dangerous at all? Legally?

I live in Aus and the mushrooms are Psilocybin Cubensis, if that matters at all.

Thanks again.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: The_Gnome_King]
    #333841 - 06/04/01 07:05 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

yes, thru the mail/post is norm.
are p.cubensis spores legal in oz ?
be cautious about dealing with persons unknown to you.

http://mycotopia.yage.net

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #333847 - 06/04/01 07:16 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Hi there! I think your process of making a spore print is ok, except of the "unsterilized" scissors. Believe me, its not just me(and my nick) who dont like unsterilized items to touch our spores, but our entire mushroom community! This could cause a contamination of the print, and thus, a disaster of a shroomers efforts. It is a shroomers debt, to be completely sterile , and specially on the spore printing process, since it is a very sensitive part of the mushrooms growing cycle, and no one would like to hope in something that would most likely fail. It is this kind of attention that makes us trust each other in spore trading.Try to work with simple moves, they work best. Use a(sterilized with alchohol) drinking glass to cover your print while it drops its spores. Wax paper is ok, but i personaly find tin foil to work better,since every time i have tried to scrap spores off a wax paper i make these paper-syringes, heh (=syringes full of wax-paperspore solusion, due to difficulty of spores firmly attached to wax paper, to be scraped off...)After the cap drops its spores on the tin foil, simply fold and place in a zip lock bag....anyway... there are many ways to do it, i guess it also depends on what your utensils are...You find what works best for you.
The number of prints is always specified while you make the trade. It could be 1 to 1000(heh) , but typically...well ther is no typicall....it depends on the quality, quantity, faith, trust, moment....everything.1 for 1 sounds fair for many people though...Most of them are traded through the post ,yes.
I dont know if psilocybe mushroom spores are legal in all the countries of our earth, but they are in most of them.All the teks you will see here, work for for most P.Cubensis strains.
Approach with love, and... ***TALK TO THEM***( to all the plants and animals).

YOU WANNA GET HIGH

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: Sterile]
    #333859 - 06/04/01 07:38 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Wow. Thanks for the quick and thorough reply! The only question left unanswered is can I grow different mushrooms with the tek's or only Cubes? I want to try and trade some spores and grow some shrooms that I don't get around here - or even in this country, like Liberty Caps, to name one. So is it only dung loving shrooms, or what?

OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: Hippie3]
    #333861 - 06/04/01 07:39 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the advice and the link, it's come in useful already. :smile:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #333894 - 06/04/01 08:52 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

With the teks on this site you can grow P.cubensis, P.tropicalis,. Pan.cyanescens indoors and P.azurescens, P.cyanesens and P.bohemica outdoors.
I sure left out some species, but essentially this is ist.
The first three species are dunglovers, the last three woodlovers.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

InvisibleBillyblastoff
Psychoactivepredator
 User Gallery

Loc: Down these mean city stre...
    #333978 - 06/04/01 10:41 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I just recently had the distinct "unpleaure" of scraping spores off of a wax paper print and Im sure I didnt get them all. The print was dated Dec. 2000 and it seemed like the spores became embedded in the very thin layer of wax. Just like it was already stated in this thread to get to those embedded spores you had to scrape up more wax paper than you would've liked to. I would think that this wouldnt be too good for sterility. It just doesnt seem "kosher"....
I will use tin foil when i send back to the FSR.

Tell me something good then I might agree with you..

--------------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."

"There is a wealth of information built into us, tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."

Tell me something good then I might agree with you....the Smithereens

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: Billyblastoff]
    #334194 - 06/04/01 03:42 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

hmmmmm

mine always just fall right off the wax paper, and I do mean fall. The whole print can just slide right off if you are not careful.

Karen

*MAKE THE SHROOMERY A BETTER PLACE!*
Visit the suggestion forum & be active in ALL aspects of the community!
When you are done go visit the FSR!

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: Karen]
    #334227 - 06/04/01 04:16 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe thats only so with fresh prints Karen, or maybe it depends on the type of wax paper....print copletely sliding off the wax-paper dousnt sound very good though. Have you tried tin foil?

YOU WANNA GET HIGH

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

InvisibleBillyblastoff
Psychoactivepredator
 User Gallery

Loc: Down these mean city stre...
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: Karen]
    #334233 - 06/04/01 04:30 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Im sure you are correct too. What I failed to mention was that I had "two prints" both camby's on wax paper. The first one I already mentioned but the second one wasnt nearly as bad, true they pretty much fell off. I would guess alot depends on how the prints are stored. What if they are exposed to high temperatures where the wax started to soften? Add to this someone hiding prints in between the pages of a book or under a stack of Penthouse mags. Wouldnt a combination of heat and pressure help turn spores into what I had on one print which was more resin like than dry powdery spore?

Tell me something good then I might agree with you..

--------------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."

"There is a wealth of information built into us, tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."

Tell me something good then I might agree with you....the Smithereens

OfflinePsilocybin
    #334255 - 06/04/01 04:58 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I would love it if my prints slipped off, scraping my razor and shaking it over a jar of water doesn't sond like the most sterile method to me.

Gnome, Psilocybe Cubensis is the most popular for being grown indoors, since it is the easiest and yields very good, their are many different strains of this species, and this is what is usally traded. But their are other species mushrooms grown indoors on manure which are Paneleous (i think this is the genus, their are several different species of Paneleous grown) And their are also other species of Psilocybe's which are grown indoors. Generally you will be trading one species of Cubensis for another on a one to one trade. You should find out if spores are legal in your area (prolly are if you bought them in the first place).

When making a print try to think of the person who will be receiving your print when they get it. Everyone in this community uses aliases, and tries to be anonymous to a certain level, what you send them will have a big effect on their impression of you. Think about how sterile you would like a print(completely), how you would like it packaged, and how hard it is to make a syringe from your print. If you are really into collecting different species I suggest you make a glovebox, then can be made from household materiels and is a simple low cost project (here's a tek on how I made mine [urlhttp://www.geocities.com/sink_/camera/glovebox.html[/url]). If you dont feel like going to that trouble for a print or two(also great for making syringes and mixing spawn, btw), you can make them without any equipment as long as you take extreme sterile techniques. Take a shower(brush your teeth), put on clean clothes(no sleeve preferably), close all drafts into the room you are going to make a print. Set up the supplies for taking the print, spray lysol at ceiling level until everything around you is covered in a nice layer of lysol spray. Cut your mushroom cap, place on wax paper(foil, etc...) then place shotglass, cup, tupperware over it to make an airtight seal. leave it alone for at least 24 hours, then, using the same sterile techniques as before. pick up the shotglass, remove the shroom cap(i use a pin to avoid touching the paper), then fold the paper over and seal all edges with tape. Then I place that inside a plastic baggie and label it. Touch as little as possible, and dont touch the side of the paper the print is on at all, use gloves and a face mask if availabe. Good luck and happy spore trading.

Get Spores for Free!!!

OfflinePsilocybin
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: Psilocybin]
    #334281 - 06/04/01 05:24 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

The other glovebox link didn't work, and it wont let me edit my post, heres a working link.
http://www.geocities.com/sink_/camera/glovebox.html

Get Spores for Free!!!

OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: Psilocybin]
    #334304 - 06/04/01 05:54 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for that. Will check out your glovebox. My prints are wild, I understand that a two for one deal is reasonable in this situation (Two wild ones because they could be contaminated already). Does that sound acceptable?

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#334578 - 06/04/01 09:59 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Sterile,

Actually it works great for me because I just make all of my syringes that I am going to use from that print at a time.

Well someone sent me a print on foil...I haven't made a print on it personally but I had to scrape so hard that sometimes it ripped the foil.

Maybe it all depends on the type of wax paper you use...

If anyone cares...I personally use Waxtex. The spores stick to it while they are still wet but as soon as they dry they are really easy to make slide around.

Billy,

Yeah I guess what you say is true...but at the same time you are supposed to store spores in a cool place so they shouldn't be exposed to high temps. I guess if that's where you want to store your prints then I can see that being a problem...but personally I keep mine in a stash tin.

All I am saying is wax paper works for me. I don't think there is any type of paper that would make everyone happy. Just depends on how you use it I guess.

Karen

*MAKE THE SHROOMERY A BETTER PLACE!*
Visit the suggestion forum & be active in ALL aspects of the community!
When you are done go visit the FSR!

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: The_Gnome_King] * 1
    #334605 - 06/04/01 10:16 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Gnome, actually, if anyone knew what's up, they'd realize wild prints are by far superior because they represent unique strains that have yet to be grown in cultivation. They could potentially have favorable characteristics that other cultivated specimens either never had in the first place or were lost due to unwise selection.
As for taking prints of wild specimens, I've never had contamination from them. I've touched the gills of an oyster mushroom prior to printing, but still no contam. As long as the fruit body doesn't have crap on it, you should be all good in terms of sterility. Besides, you lazy fucks who only use the PF tek need to move to agar sooner or later!!(hehe)

Edited by Azure on 06/05/01 12:20 AM.

Offlinegunslyn117
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26780343 - 06/24/20 08:22 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

hey lookin to trade

OfflineZakkery
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Need advice on sterility & trading spores. [Re: gunslyn117]
    #26781185 - 06/25/20 05:22 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

gunslyn117 said:
hey lookin to trade

A 20 year old thread might not be the best place to start. If you're a member for like 90 days and have more than 50 posts you get access to the market place which has trades/swaps available. Until then you may be on your own friend.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates