Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTag_Number
Experience
Loc: Soma dreaming itself
Getting viable seeds from a barely viable stock
    #3345565 - 11/11/04 05:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I seen this on the educational program.

It was old lotus seeds.

The gathered all the old seeds that were all nearly unviable.

Got a bowl filled with water and dumped all the seeds.

The seeds that sank to the bottom were unviable, the ones that floated to the top were viable.

This is handy trick for all kinds of plants.

Such as most stocks syrian rue seeds in most cases.

This method will work for anykind of seed.

Thank you for reading this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: Getting viable seeds from a barely viable stock [Re: Tag_Number]
    #3347802 - 11/11/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Any scientific background explanation of how this method works?

I heard it about cannabis seeds ,but i ignored it thinking it is a myth...

Actually i cannot imagine a possible reason this method would work....

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3348390 - 11/11/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

im bad on plant biology but in amniote eggs (animal eggs, brid/reptile sorts) the fertile ones have an air sac that the unfertile are often missing. possibly the same? although im not too sure why seeds woudl need air to sprout...but maybe jsut a kick?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: Getting viable seeds from a barely viable stock [Re: kadakuda]
    #3349011 - 11/11/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Isnt it the good ones sink? i know when i dump a bag of WBS in all the birdseed floats and all the millit sinks.

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: Getting viable seeds from a barely viable stock [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3349792 - 11/12/04 12:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I personally try to make all my seed viable. I soak the seed in H2O2 water untill I see the seed start to show signs of it poping out of the pod. H2O2 stops root rot and seed rot. Thats why most people have problems soaking seed to begin with. They don't use any thing to stop the seed from rotting before it gets a chance to break out.

Im not sure of the h2o2 to water ratio, so you'll havta do a internet search on that. But I do it every time I germinate seeds, and it works GREAT.
Before it, I would loose most of my seeds to the seed rotting.

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.
http://www.di.fm/mp3/chillout96k.pls

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Getting viable seeds from a barely viable stock [Re: Search59]
    #3350974 - 11/12/04 10:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

A little peroxide in the water helps with germination. Lotus seed is viable for years, centuries maybe. Some seed has to be fresh to germ. Some seed has to have wet dry cycles or warm cold cycles or combinations of each. This process is called stratification. Voacanga africana needs to be stratified to germ, for example. Some tobacco seeds need light to germinate so you put them on the surface and don't bury them. A few will not germ unless they are in the dark. Gibberellic acid (ga3) helps some plant seed germinate.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
Re: Getting viable seeds from a barely viable stock [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3350988 - 11/12/04 10:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gr0wer said:
Isnt it the good ones sink?

i thought that was the norm too. from what i've personally observed, the floaters don't seem to germinate too well.

it can vary from plant to plant greatly though, depending on the density of the seed casing.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

InvisibleKOPELANDIAA
Stranger
Loc: under a pine
    #3351090 - 11/12/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Tag_Number said:

The seeds that sank to the bottom were unviable, the ones that floated to the top were viable.
This is handy trick for all kinds of plants.
This method will work for anykind of seed.

Not in my experience. Think about tiny seeds (they will all float), think about cannabis seeds (often, the goods sink quickly)...etc...

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3351305 - 11/12/04 11:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I personally never really believed this as a hard and fast rule for all seeds.

Quite simply one is doing a density test, and certainly not all seeds are more dense than water or less dense than water, it depends on the individual seed.

Therefore one would have to do a test with different species of seeds and then try to germinate the floaters and sinkers and see which was what, IF there even is a difference.

One has to consider what's in a seed, the embryo, the shell, the endorsperm and other things, the amount of endosperm and density of it plays a big factor.

We also have to take into account two things when we talk about seed viability, longevity and viability. Seed longevity depends on the species and the conditions at harvest and during storage. Seeds should be stored only when they have attained the appropriate moisture content, usually less than 15%. Seed dried to about 7% moisture and under low relative humidity can be stored for a long time in a refrigerator. Very low relative humidity of about 5% allows seeds to be stored for a long time while retaining the highest level of viability. However a relative humidity of 50 to 65% maintains the viability of most seeds for about a year. To increase longevity, seeds may be stored cryogenically in liquid nitrogen at -313F for years.

OfflineMrMolotov
Ganja Patrol
Male

Loc: SoCal
Re: Getting viable seeds from a barely viable stock [Re: neuro]
    #5286143 - 02/10/06 02:22 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i don't trust this at all because i have taken weed seeds and have had people say "thats not viable because its brown."
yet when i put it in a rapid rooter it germinated in less than 4 days and was about .50-.75 inches out of the rooter plug and then went on to grow outside to about 2.5 feet high and was almost ready for harvest and then some jack ass robbed my little plot in the woods.
:frown:

--------------------

OI OI OI

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder