Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepsychedelicatessen
why?why?why?why?why?
 User Gallery

Questions about Rye
    #3343621 - 11/10/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I looked through the FAQ's and didnt find any info on rye. From what I understand, its real good for colonizing myc quickly and im considering moving up from BRF.

Do colonized Rye jars become cakes like BRF's do? or is there a more complicated process that comes with rye?

How easy is working with rye?

Any links or advice would muchly be appriciated. thnx.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRootedGrowth
Grain Apprentice
 User Gallery
Re: Questions about Rye [Re: psychedelicatessen]
    #3343630 - 11/10/04 10:20 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I plan on using rye on my next batch as well.

From what I understand, Magash' method is pretty good and its what I plan on trying. It has lots of pics and seems very thorough.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/26177

--------------------
Death is a reason to live

OfflineTheGreatButtPaca
Happy Gardner

Loc: KY
Re: Questions about Rye [Re: RootedGrowth]
    #3343643 - 11/10/04 10:23 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

RootedGrowth said:
I plan on using rye on my next batch as well.

From what I understand, Magash' method is pretty good and its what I plan on trying.  It has lots of pics and seems very thorough.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/26177

Exactly  :thumbup:

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Questions about Rye [Re: TheGreatButtPaca]
    #3343647 - 11/10/04 10:24 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

6 days in the incubator using magashes method...

you do the math

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineRootedGrowth
Grain Apprentice
 User Gallery
Re: Questions about Rye [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3343652 - 11/10/04 10:26 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

2 for 2 by way of endorsements! =)

Hope this helps bro! GL!

--------------------
Death is a reason to live

Offlinepsychedelicatessen
why?why?why?why?why?
 User Gallery

Re: Questions about Rye [Re: RootedGrowth]
    #3344314 - 11/11/04 12:49 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Awesome.

Thanks alot...Im definatly moving on up to rye next grow. I still dont understand why they say the BRF PFtek is for the begginer..theres twice as many steps, and too much to worry about...mixing mulitple substances and making sure your mix has the right amount of water is pretty tough compared to grain where u just soak, rinse, n sterlize. I guess its casing that scares people, heh.

Rye seems 10x more effective. 1 substance, faster colonization and overall a better substrate.

I have a couple questions before I go out n stock up on rye. Can rye be boiled for sterilization? Is there a certain size of jar that is required? Where can I buy rye and is there a certaion brand or type of rye I should get?

Thanks a load guys! Im pretty hyped up for my first grain grow.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3344376 - 11/11/04 01:01 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Can rye be boiled for sterilization? No to do it right you need a pc.

Is there a certain size of jar that is required? Pints and quarts are the most common. I'm a quart fan myself.

Where can I buy rye and is there a certaion brand or type of rye I should get?
Most health food stores have it or you can order it from them. Order it from them if you need to order cause they cover the shipping. You want organic rye.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3344417 - 11/11/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

PF Tek has a layer of verm as added insurance against the contam.

In addition, the grains require a bit of finesse with water content(though it's not very hard) compared to PF cakes which used verm which gives a large margin of error.

Also, rye cakes are hard to make, especially at qt sized.  Cakes are easier to prepare to fruit.(in the old days, it was just "plunk" it out on the lid).

I think we are making advances that negates some of the advantages, but still for a brand spankin' newbie, PF Tek allows for larger margin of error, yet with high potential yields.

And of course, it more fun with cakes... draw them into the hobby like moth to burning flames.  You say all that drama, and I say all that memory over the emotional roller coaster.  :wink:

Maybe, just maybe some cake enthusist will spend some time improving the old PF Tek so it'll be competitive with rye and other grains.  After all, brown rice is very very nutricious. :wink:

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Questions about Rye [Re: Sam1912]
    #3344529 - 11/11/04 01:26 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Yeah, casings are good shit but im trying to modify the PF tek, but rye colonizes so much faster, brf will never be able to beat that but everything depends more so on the user than what he's using...well...unless you're using infected materials that cant...be...sterilized..?...haha GL, hope it works out, i myself will be trying grains next but i still want to stick to brf, its just so fun to do em all and compare and see what works best and what you can do to modify it...gl...later
:syringe::thumbup:

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Questions about Rye [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3344538 - 11/11/04 01:27 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Don't say never. I've finished PF jars in 6 days when I really pushed it. If you account for time it takes to make liquid culture, it's about the same for my usual 9-11 days using MSI.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions about Rye [Re: Sam1912]
    #3345202 - 11/11/04 04:19 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Sam1912 said:
PF Tek has a layer of verm as added insurance against the contam.

In addition, the grains require a bit of finesse with water content(though it's not very hard) compared to PF cakes which used verm which gives a large margin of error.

Also, rye cakes are hard to make, especially at qt sized.  Cakes are easier to prepare to fruit.(in the old days, it was just "plunk" it out on the lid).

I think we are making advances that negates some of the advantages, but still for a brand spankin' newbie, PF Tek allows for larger margin of error, yet with high potential yields.

And of course, it more fun with cakes... draw them into the hobby like moth to burning flames.  You say all that drama, and I say all that memory over the emotional roller coaster.  :wink:

Maybe, just maybe some cake enthusist will spend some time improving the old PF Tek so it'll be competitive with rye and other grains.  After all, brown rice is very very nutricious. :wink:

Sam

You forgot the not needing a PC for the PF Tek.

Rye rocks but for some people who dont want to deal with casing, buying a PC, or sterility (to a certain extent) cakes are the way to start and this is why theyre recommended. Most people are sterile enough and end up with contams with grain. Personally I've never worked with BRF, went right to rye. I dont think this is suggested enough and the PF Tek is to well known as the only way to start. Some people should start there but for some its not practical.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Questions about Rye [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3345302 - 11/11/04 04:50 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I agree.  I ran into this situation before with a guy who went out and bought dozen quart jars.  Grains are easier than cakes I think, but I don't think it's a good place to start for someone totally new because of the safety margin involved.

For some people, grains would be a good place to start(provided s/he is good with budget and follows directions well), but cakes should be visited sometime.

And since I'm contradicting myself here as a cake lover...  There is nothing wrong with starting with cakes.  If the person is good following direction and has a good budget, s/he will end up with comparable amount of mushrooms for money spent.  And of course, the knowledge is priceless. :wink:

Sam

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation