Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepunkboy
Stranger
PC vs boil?
    #3343373 - 11/10/04 09:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all, I'm a definate newbie to the grow world, I have grown before but never have I actually propagated the mycellium. I was wondering if there is a definative difference between using a pressure cooker to sterilize the PF Tek and boiling the jars in a big pot with a rag on the bottom for like an hour? I've been reading how a pressure cooker makes all the difference and then I've read that boiling works fine as well, could someone with way more experience set me straight because I would like to not spend 100 bucks for a pressure cooker. Thank you!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: PC vs boil? [Re: punkboy]
    #3343441 - 11/10/04 09:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You can do it right, or you can do it the half-assed way. Whatever you do, the results will go hand in hand.

Offlinepsychedelicatessen
why?why?why?why?why?
 User Gallery

Re: PC vs boil? [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3343528 - 11/10/04 09:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I boiled my first grow. all 4 halfpint jars made it without contams. Just make sure when you boil its done neatly. I put 3 layers of cloth underneath the jars so they dont touch the bottem n burn.

If you plan long-term big grows, then PC for sure.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: PC vs boil? [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3343532 - 11/10/04 09:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
You can do it right, or you can do it the half-assed way. Whatever you do, the results will go hand in hand.

Sounds good to me.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: PC vs boil? [Re: punkboy]
    #3343676 - 11/10/04 10:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

my first ever grow was boiled, no contams. my second ever grow was PC'd, lots of contams. I was sloppy though.

Pressure cooking just feels safer.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PC vs boil? [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3345060 - 11/11/04 03:30 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Boiling for the PF Tek is fine..if you have a PC though, why not use it? Still 30 minutes... If you dont have a PC and dont plan on working with grains where youll actually need a PC then boiling will work just fine.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineRemi
Stranger

Re: PC vs boil? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3345070 - 11/11/04 03:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This is my first grow, I had nine PF Jars and I boiled them all.
They are all now contam free and producing mushrooms :laugh:

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: PC vs boil? [Re: Remi]
    #3345259 - 11/11/04 04:37 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If you are boiling them, try a steamer basket... But it takes longer on a boil than PC to feel safe. I used to boil for at least 2 hrs. PC for 45min with 100% comfort.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PC vs boil? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3345384 - 11/11/04 05:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I always heard 30 minutes for either but I'd listen to sam over me since hes done cakes (and boy has he done them) and I havnt :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3345391 - 11/11/04 05:25 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

your a cakes man ey sam :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: PC vs boil? [Re: aussieone]
    #3345426 - 11/11/04 05:38 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

oh,please...

I think 1hr is good for boiling and 30min PC is good enough for cakes. My personal comfort level requires just a tad more, that's all.

The core temp will takes a lot longer for core temp to come up when outside is 212F compared to 300F+

If anyone wants to know specifically(there was a biochem major among us, maybe we have someone taking thermodynamics) I can talk to you very very indept about it. PM me instead of posting, though.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: PC vs boil? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3345543 - 11/11/04 06:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Something a lot of you leave out when having this discussion is exactly why it works for some people and not others.

I'd say its because brown rice flours(or anything, really)from different areas/sources are going to have different contams in them.

If you really can't afford or conceal, whatever ... a pressure cooker, and boiling fails the first time, try a different substrate source, and boil longer.

Of course, we will always recommend a PC.. even an 8-10psi model would be better than boiling. Check goodwill and thrift stores.. they're ultra cheap there.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: PC vs boil? [Re: discman1]
    #3345547 - 11/11/04 06:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Discman, you are my kind of man. I love it when I can do things exactly the same for much cheaper.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3345558 - 11/11/04 07:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

discman1 said:
Something a lot of you leave out when having this discussion is exactly why it works for some people and not others.

I'd say its because brown rice flours(or anything, really)from different areas/sources are going to have different contams in them.

If you really can't afford or conceal, whatever ... a pressure cooker, and boiling fails the first time, try a different substrate source, and boil longer.

Of course, we will always recommend a PC.. even an 8-10psi model would be better than boiling. Check goodwill and thrift stores.. they're ultra cheap there.

I think boiling even the dirtiest BRF will sterilize it well. I think the reason it fails for others is they dont boil for long enough (worse BRF may require longer boiling and they may not include warm up times) or improper procedures the first time. Then they will be extra carful the second time when they PC and attribute it to PCing instead of their lack of doing it right the first time. I could be wrong but boiling works for just about every single person..the only times I hear of it failing is from people who are very new to growing and quite likly didnt work sterily the first time. I've heard of newbies PCing BRF jars there first time and them failing and then boiling work for them the second time and I've heard of that happening more then twice so I think its alot more then just dirtier BRF.

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3345561 - 11/11/04 07:04 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I would agree with that analysis too. It could be a bit of both.

Something I've always wondered, though.. Why do you say that you will almost always fail when boiling grain jars?

What's the difference? BRF is just ground grain.. rice grains.

Wouldn't it be possible for rice to be contaminated with the same heat resistant endospores that rye or WBS could be?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3345564 - 11/11/04 07:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've heard some people simmering instead of light boiling. Maybe it's the Teks aren't clear enough on this. As I remember, they say to lower heat until gentle boil...

Sam

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation