Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineaveragejackass
Fuckin Hoser
Loc: Canada
What is Life and Death
    #3343184 - 11/10/04 08:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What do you guys think about life and death? Like, we are consciousness and self aware and all that stuff. But what do you think we are when we are alive? I cant quite word my question the way id like to sorry.

I believe that we are actually separate from our bodies, and our bodies put limits on our capabilities, and how we can only use 10% of our brain but we could possibly be capable of much more. And when we die we separate from our bodies, but not always.

I think that if we die while we are awake and fully aware that we separate from the body (If i think there fore I am), but if you are uncounciouss when you die, there is no thought, therefore you dont exist anymore?

And what about dreams, Dreams have been natural for us since we usually sleep every night for our entire life, but have you ever stopped to think about what a dream is. Does our thought separate from our body when dreaming the same as when we die?

I had an experience where my heart may have sped up and stopped beating completely for a period of time, but i was still awake? Could that mean that there isnt just nothing after you die, or just that if my heart did stop that it didnt stop long enough to cut off the blood flow to my brain.

What are your opinions on Life and death and dreams? And do you think that there is a possibility that shrooms can help you connect your thought to things that are in another part of existance?

--------------------
The average jackass.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: What is Life and Death [Re: averagejackass]
    #3343330 - 11/10/04 08:58 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like you have a lot of poorly expressed random theories based on arbitrary assumptions

"there is a possibility that shrooms can help you connect your thought to things that are in another part of existance?"

Being vague are we? Two can play at that game. Re: the above question: Yes, sometimes.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3343430 - 11/10/04 09:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know too much about either life, or death.  My beliefs on both are continuously evolving, based on new experiences/information/etc.  A part of me thinks that when we die, "we" simply get absorbed back into "It."  Another part of me thinks that death is only a transition.  And yes, I am being vague because I feel that's the best I can do, having never died and all. 

Death is a mystery that I enjoy thinking about.  I entertain all sorts of wild theories about life and death, most of which I keep to myself.  Even if a theory is outlandish, I will still take time to consider it.  There's nothing to lose by doing so after all.  :sun: 

You might be interested in checking out the Tibetan Book of the Dead, which is all about the Art of Dying.  It's changed my outlook about death.  I don't welcome death, but I don't fear it anymore. 

Whether or not I agree/disagree with your theories, at least you're thinking about it!  My experience is that most people want death to be something to sweep under the rug, forgotten until it surges out to claim someone they love.  We all die, so I feel there is much to be gained by evaluating personal beliefs about death. 

take care

*me*

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: What is Life and Death [Re: MOTH]
    #3343480 - 11/10/04 09:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

waking life? :P
life after life? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3343497 - 11/10/04 09:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

You might be interested in checking out the Tibetan Book of the Dead, which is all about the Art of Dying. It's changed my outlook about death. I don't welcome death, but I don't fear it anymore.

Sure, that's its purpose, so it seems. But it is just as much a guide to the Art of Life. It was originally intended to guide initiates through their initiation, and to aid them in their journey afterwards.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: What is Life and Death [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3343517 - 11/10/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alan Stone said:
Quote:

You might be interested in checking out the Tibetan Book of the Dead, which is all about the Art of Dying. It's changed my outlook about death. I don't welcome death, but I don't fear it anymore.

Sure, that's its purpose, so it seems. But it is just as much a guide to the Art of Life. 

Very true!  :thumbup:

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3343567 - 11/10/04 10:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The Eastern view is that we have something known as the Very Subtle mind, or the Clear Light. It is the most subtle and difficult to discern level of consciousness that is with us in sleep and death. In Buddhism and Hinduism, this very subtle mind is the indestructible element of a beginningless and endless continium. It is the one thing that passes through death, or we can even think experiences death as a temporary phenomenon.

At the time of death all other states of mind, our identity, senses, thoughts, subconscious, body, emotions will all fade away, but the very subtle mind, the canvas behind all of it, remains to manifest itself in a new form and a new life based on the karma (cause and effect) of the past one. This goes on forever.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3343602 - 11/10/04 10:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

averagejackass said:
What do you guys think about life and death? Like, we are consciousness and self aware and all that stuff. But what do you think we are when we are alive? I cant quite word my question the way id like to sorry.

I believe that we are actually separate from our bodies, and our bodies put limits on our capabilities, and how we can only use 10% of our brain but we could possibly be capable of much more. And when we die we separate from our bodies, but not always.

I think that if we die while we are awake and fully aware that we separate from the body (If i think there fore I am), but if you are uncounciouss when you die, there is no thought, therefore you dont exist anymore?

I think that we, as spirits, are definitely separate from our bodies, and are in fact limited by our bodies. We are super-infinite, spiritual beings inhabited in physical, finite bodies.

As spirits, we are perfect, but we are hampered by our physical "houses". This would go to our diseases and brain problems and things like that. I don't think, thought, that there is a possiblity that we DON'T separate from our bodies.

Quote:

And what about dreams, Dreams have been natural for us since we usually sleep every night for our entire life, but have you ever stopped to think about what a dream is. Does our thought separate from our body when dreaming the same as when we die?

We dream because our souls don't have physical attributes. Our souls are ourselves. We do whatever it is we want to do or think about while our bodies are asleep. I might be wrong, but it sounds good.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

Re: What is Life and Death [Re: Frog]
    #3344152 - 11/11/04 12:20 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

what is life, well thats the ultimate question. being alive you have the oppotunity to find out by experience first hand. so get off your arse and go do something youve never done before.

death well being alive who can tell you may find out when you die, at best i can say its a change to being alive.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: What is Life and Death [Re: kbilly]
    #3344237 - 11/11/04 12:36 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"was and was not, that is the question. "
-unknown :P
:confused: :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (11/11/04 12:37 AM)

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: What is Life and Death [Re: Gomp]
    #3344549 - 11/11/04 01:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Birth is when the mind joins with form. Death is the irreversable seperation of mind from form.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology