Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Peace Amendment
    #3342846 - 11/10/04 07:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Enforcing Peace

A proposed constitutional amendment to keep the United States government from dragging us into wars:

Section 1. The United States shall be at war only after a declaration of war, naming the specific enemy nations, is approved by the President and by a two-thirds vote of the eligible members in both houses of Congress.

Section 2. The members of the House of Representatives and the Senate eligible to vote on a declaration of war are those who are between the ages of 18 and 35, or who have children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren between those ages.

Section 3. In the absence of a Congressional declaration of war, the President may deploy the military to repel an armed invasion of the United States, but may not deploy troops or engage in hostilities outside the United States.

Section 4. The United States shall enter into no treaty with any nation or organization if such treaty could oblige the United States to be at war without a declaration of war by Congress, and the United States shall not be bound to engage in war by any action taken by any organization of which they are a member.

Section 5. Except in time of war, as specified in Section 1, the United States will provide no weapons or other resources to foreign governments, will engage in no military action outside the borders of the United States, and shall deploy no military personnel or weapons outside the boundaries of the United States except that at any one time up to one thousand members of the military may be outside the United States for no longer than thirty days.

Section 6. Upon any violation of this article by the President, Congress shall institute impeachment proceedings within 14 days.

Sections 3 and 5 don't preclude a missile defense or any other kind of defense of this nation. It requires only that the President wait before attacking a foreign nation until a declaration of war has been issued. Even if some incapacity prevents Congress from making a declaration quickly, America could still defend itself. It just couldn't attack anyone else.

War is too dangerous an enterprise to leave in the hands of people who routinely lie in their own self-interest.

I welcome any suggestions for making this amendment more precise. (My thanks to Arthur Medina for some excellent suggestions, which have been incorporated.)

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Edited by silversoul7 (11/10/04 08:11 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Peace Ammendment [Re: silversoul7]
    #3342861 - 11/10/04 07:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Very nice amendment that I would support. Is it just in the developmental stages, or has it been introduced to Congress yet? I especially like the part about "eligible" members of Congress.

War is too dangerous an enterprise to leave in the hands of people who stand to profit immensely from it.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Peace Ammendment [Re: DNKYD]
    #3342868 - 11/10/04 07:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It's a piece written by Harry Browne, a famous libertarian intellectual, and two-time presidential candidate. It's unlikely such an ammendment will ever see the light of day.

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#3342878 - 11/10/04 07:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
It's unlikely such an ammendment will ever see the light of day.

Disgusting....

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3342973 - 11/10/04 07:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The US government doesn't drag us into wars. The enemies of democracy and freedom (commies and fanatic towel heads) do.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Peace Ammendment [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3342998 - 11/10/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ohhhhhhh, so it was those "commies and fanatic towel heads" that ordered a preemptive strike on Iraq. Wow, that changes everything. Bush isn't such a bad guy after all!  :rolleyes:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Peace Ammendment [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3343071 - 11/10/04 07:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'd put you on ignore, but you're just too damn funny.

--------------------

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #3343125 - 11/10/04 08:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Dictionary - Thesaurus - Web

Get the Most Popular Sites for "ammendment"

No entry found for ammendment.
Did you mean amendment?

--

Great spelling. Also, why would it matter the ages of their children since we'd be against a draft as libertarians?

Anonymous

Re: Peace Amendment [Re: silversoul7]
    #3343243 - 11/10/04 08:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Section 1. The United States shall be at war only after a declaration of war, naming the specific enemy nations

Section 3. In the absence of a Congressional declaration of war, the President... may not deploy troops or engage in hostilities outside the United States.

so let me get this straight... american troops may not be deployed unless their is a declaration of war against a hostile government?

that's absolutely retarded. our troops do operate, and it is legitimate and necessary for them to operate, on foreign soil against hostile stateless organizations inside friendly territory (terrorists). let's say that after 9-11, the taliban had said, "yep... al-qaeda's here, but we lack the resources to hunt them down. you're welcome to send some troops to come get 'em if you want..." who would we declare war against before sending in the troops?

the proposed amendment says we can't send troops abroad without a declaration of war against an enemy nation. good idea, but obviously not entirely thought through. requiring a declaration of war is fine, but it needn't be against an enemy state.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Peace Amendment [Re: ]
    #3343380 - 11/10/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Mushmaster makes a good point.
But aside from that, I think this amendment would be the absolute best thing America could do for itself at the moment.

SS7, can you shed some light on why I hear so many libertians bashing Browne now? All I see him doing is trying to apply the initiation-of-force thing to foreign policy. I wouldn't think libertarians would take issue with that.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Peace Amendment [Re: Gijith]
    #3343462 - 11/10/04 09:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:
Mushmaster makes a good point.
But aside from that, I think this amendment would be the absolute best thing America could do for itself at the moment.

Ya, I agree it could use a little touching up, but overall I think it's a good idea.

Quote:

SS7, can you shed some light on why I hear so many libertians bashing Browne now? All I see him doing is trying to apply the initiation-of-force thing to foreign policy. I wouldn't think libertarians would take issue with that.

He goes overboard a couple times, and occasionally I catch a few logical errors he makes, but I think for the most part I think he's great. A lot of the so-called "libertarians" on this board that seem to have a problem with him tend to be closer to Randian Objectivists than anything.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3343549 - 11/10/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Its good in theory but you obviously have no idea how the US military and aid organizations are benefiting the world. If we stopped all of our military aid around the world, our "allies" would hate us even more than they do now.

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Peace Amendment [Re: Catalysis]
    #3343607 - 11/10/04 10:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
Its good in theory but you obviously have no idea how the US military and aid organizations are benefiting the world. If we stopped all of our military aid around the world, our "allies" would hate us even more than they do now.

That's a shame.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #3348445 - 11/11/04 09:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I still see no reason that a libertarian would make it so that only people who's children were of draft-age would be able to cast their vote? Certainly they aren't pro-draft.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion