Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Australian Welfare
    #3342150 - 11/10/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I recently heard that Australia has a different form of welfare. To save money and prevent moochers, the conservative party passed a bill that had had lower than average welfare for the first year or two, then higher than average welfare afterwards. the idea is that the truely less fortnate will have no choice but to still be on it after two years and the ones who are just temporarily out of work (most of those who go on welfare) will a) take up less money and b) have a greater incentive to find a job as quickly as possible so that they can live reasonably comfortable again.

Now, given (i can't stress this enough for the libertarians, GIVEN) that society wants some sort of welfare (since in real worlds politics, compromises must be reached, you can't simply hope for everyone to come around to your side of thinking), what do people think of this solution? it sounds backwards at first--rewarding those who stay on welfare--but i heard in practice its showing success, and the more i think about it, the more it might be a good idea.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Australian Welfare [Re: Tao]
    #3342164 - 11/10/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds better than the current system. Personally, I think the first thing we need to do about welfare in America is get the federal government out of it and hand it over to the states.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Australian Welfare [Re: silversoul7]
    #3342306 - 11/10/04 03:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Sounds better than the current system. Personally, I think the first thing we need to do about welfare in America is get the federal government out of it and hand it over to the states.

On the money as usual. What's amazing is that an idea like this will probably never be developed over here. Our government seems allergic to common sense and reasonable solutions.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Australian Welfare [Re: Gijith]
    #3346510 - 11/11/04 12:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Any other thoughts?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Australian Welfare [Re: Tao]
    #3346597 - 11/11/04 12:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
Any other thoughts?

Seems like a very ephemeral 'solution.' After the two years are up it's just a more robust welfare system -- what exactly is the idea? People who would otherwise be mooching would be in a situation where it would 'pay' to do real work for two years and then go back to the dole, all the while the few who truly need welfare have two years where they have to make do with even less than they usually have. Can you elaborate upon the system further; unless I'm missing a part of this equation, something entirely possible, it seems like a pretty worthless and possibly deleterious plan.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Australian Welfare [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3347834 - 11/11/04 04:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

the idea is that most of those who claim welfare are usually just temporarily unemployed people who quickly find work anyway, so you're cutting unnecessary spending for those people who probably don't need it as much and making living on welfare less attractive. i dont understand what you're saying by

Quote:

it would 'pay' to do real work for two years and then go back to the dole

but this--"the few who truly need welfare have two years where they have to make do with even less than they usually have."--is definately the downside to the proposal and why it is not a categorically better solution and probably why it was proposed by the conservative party. again, i just heard about this when a professor briefly explained it after a student referenced it in my tutorial. i should probably read more about it.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Australian Welfare [Re: silversoul7]
    #3347885 - 11/11/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:

Wow, that is a truely interesting idea and i have never thought of it that way. I think that the states with the most leanient policies would quickly revert back to a more moderate policy but it would be a good experiment for the US and I think it would be beneficial in the long run.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom